Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #3001
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Man, you guys are seriously making me want to come home. 'Cept maybe that rail bridge.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3002
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
From Wawa south

Day 3

Back on the TCAT just south of North Bay, todays destination, home.

Some nice cottage country roads

A bit of water on the Old Nipissing Rd trail.

The Sequin Trail

The end, the TCAT turns east we continue on south on Old Wagon Rd.
This whole TCAT thing is very cool. Load some tracks in to the GPS and go ride for days, weeks even months.
To everyone who put so much effort to make this happen, many thanks.
motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #3003
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 371
Great RR & review. The Old Nippising trail was dry when we rode it. Thank goodness.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #3004
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
Stoked you had a good ride and enjoyed a piece of the route. Crazy wet year, Ontario just didn't seem to dry up this year.

For the first year I can safely say it was a success. Folks traveling to Canada from different continents and many Canadians seeing parts of Canada they otherwise wouldn't have seen...awesome!

There are multiple groups of folks planning trips for next year...stoked people are enjoying it

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #3005
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Totally awesome Fall Riding pics!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #3006
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Has anyone attempted the Vancouver Island route lately? i was hoping to ride it south-north but it seams that all the logging gates have been locked and/or deactivated :(
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #3007
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
Has anyone attempted the Vancouver Island route lately? i was hoping to ride it south-north but it seams that all the logging gates have been locked and/or deactivated :(
We rode the route from Comox Lake to Sayward without issue on Saturday... From Sayward to Winter Harbour is open and there should be no issue to get from Youbou to Port Alberni... The questionable section remains the Alberni to Comox lake... The latest info I have is that Timberwest will allow access on weekends and holidays during daylight hrs for hunting season... You need to sign in or out at the gate... You could always take the alternate route from Alberni to Cumberland along 19A...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #3008
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
If you look quick, it looks like you're wheelieing into the lake.
That would 've been the coolest thing I've ever done..but im just trying to move the bike from the puddle to the lake..as AltRoute said
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #3009
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
So Near the Spear

I started following this thread back at its inception. I had stopped following it in the late winter of 2013, and just now got caught up. Wow. Friggin’ wow. Fantastic job all and sundry involved with this living project. Thank you everyone involved from the initial creators, the regional outriders busting brush, the GPS gurus and this first season’s trial trail trekkers. You should nominated for some sort of civic award. Seroiusly. You have facilitated access to some of Canada’s most remote, scenic and least known treasures to Canadians and international overlanders. The TCAT has been added to my bucket list. I have the feeling whenever I finally get around to it, it will remain freshly up to date.

I’m curious to find out the reason why Signal Hill was chosen for the route’s eastern most official terminus and not Cape Spear? http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nl/spear/index.aspx

While the view from Cabot Tower is a great panoramic photo op, the major land mark for the City of St. John’s and not to be missed if you are in the area if its not too foggy, it seems to me the eastern most point in North America would be the logical starting point. It’s only a difference of 19 km and 24 minutes—insignificant on an 18,000 plus km route. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cape+Spear,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&daddr=Signal+Hill+National+Historic+Site,+Signal+H ill+Road,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&hl=en&sll=47.500545,-52.672546&sspn=0.150995,0.308647&geocode=FdYd1QId7Qvd_CFDFs5y4PgPnSmJZipxi5gMSzFDFs 5y4PgPnQ%3BFZXc1QIdCiTc_CH-f-oaNljZoyl9tFjaz6MMSzH-f-oaNljZow&oq=Signal&mra=ls&t=m&z=13

Cripes. Someone please PM me how to make neater/more compact looking links.

The road out there used to be a lovely stretch of twisty pavement—at least it was 25 years ago on a GSX-R. The National Historic Site lighthouse would also make for a dandy backdrop for the requisite photo at the start or finish of the TCAT.

Was this a St. John’s Townie-centric decision, or have the crowd up in Shea Heights started doing moto-jackings?

Where does the T’rail start these days—somewhere near the old CN Station in town, or further out?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #3010
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
I assisted a couple of riders doing the TCAT and took them to the Cape as it is the most easterly point of North America. It is a standard destination for all riders/tourists headed east/west.
The Trailway officially starts at the Railway/Coastal museum which is the old St John's Railway Station but it is designated a walking trail (no motorized vehicles) until you get to Paradise. From there to Holyrood it is legal but not viable to ride because the Trailway crosses sideroads every few hundred yards and is stop and go constantly. A PITA.
As a general rule we street ride to Holyrood and get on just past the beach and head west from there.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #3011
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
At the entrance to 08 BC 01 Tech Alternative, here N49 37 34.6 W114 40 19.1, the road marked as this:

Does the road is really closed or that is why it is "tech alternative". Did not have time to check on my own.
This sign exists due to the major flooding that occurred in this part of Alberta in late June 2013. Before that it was a good washboard gravel road for about 4 or 5 km to the Ptolemy Pass trail head. As Lav1200 said, we rode through here (past this sign) in August 2013. The creek that used to be next to the road was now running over the road, which is essentially a rocky creek bed now, but it was only an inch or two deep. It was a pretty easy ride - wouldn't be much problem for someone with a bit of riding experience even on a loaded big bike. The tough part would be Ptolemy Pass, which had some DEEP water holes in it. Don't drive into them without checking first - we had 2 drowned bikes on that route in August.

The Inn on the Border is a bit further west (maybe 1 km or so) from where you took this pic, as indicated in the one screen shot I saw. You are not supposed to ride through there, as it is private property. However, it wouldn't be too rude to ride up to their place, take off your helmet, explain what you're doing, and ask if they will let you go through. If they say no, then just head back.

That said, while the above photo says the road is closed, it is reasonably easy to get through on any bike.

Glad y'all enjoyed the ride!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #3012
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Who's thinking of riding the TCAT from east to west starting the 2nd week of July 2014?

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #3013
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
Who's thinking of riding the TCAT from east to west starting the 2nd week of July 2014?

How's that Valkyrie gonna handle the technical sections?

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #3014
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

How's that Valkyrie gonna handle the technical sections?
prepping the klr as well my boy, you never know

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #3015
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,681
So who will be the first person to Mtn Bike the TCAT? if we do some crowd sourcing to cover my lost wages and health care...or if I can become a Canadian citizen for the health care...I'll volunteer

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote