Old 11-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #3048
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Hey Craig, is that you?
Yep :)

Sent from my awful Android Phone using awful Tapatalk software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #3049
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Yep :)

Sent from my awful Android Phone using awful Tapatalk software.

Where you at now? Hopefully somewhere warm and sunny...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #3050
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Where you at now? Hopefully somewhere warm and sunny...
In the Big Easy - New Orleans, its sunny but not all that warm.

Had nice run down the East Coast. Got to see some cool Aerospace in DC, in Apollo Command Modules, Space Shuttle Discovery and the mighty SR-71.

Florida was warm and I got to see a real live rocket being launched to Mars, mega cool.

Heading to Phoenix and unfortunately the Adventure is over for a while, back to Oz to work in the new year. But hey nearly 2 years of travel has been fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #3051
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
But hey nearly 2 years of travel has been fantastic.
Brilliant!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #3052
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Right on, glad to have met you. Sorry I was on the way out when you stopped in but Dave knows how to make a cup of tea in my house, he's been there before so at least you didn't have to turn around thirsty.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #3053
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Right on, glad to have met you. Sorry I was on the way out when you stopped in but Dave knows how to make a cup of tea in my house, he's been there before so at least you didn't have to turn around thirsty.

Or hungry. Good cake.
Thanks for that.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #3054
skibum69
slave to gravity

I try to be a good host even if I'm not there
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #3055
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
I want to thank everyone who has put the time, energy and thought into making the TCAT a reality. I first found this thread quite sometime back and it immediately grabbed me as something I MUST ride.

The planning has begun. Wish I could do it all but must take it in portions for now.

I'll be leaving Central Oregon Aug. 30th, 2014 and on Sept. 2nd, I'll meet my cousin riding up from Houston, TX. We'll ride through Glacier NP then ride north and begin the BC portion of the TCAT on Sept. 3rd. Depending on how many days it takes us we're considering skipping the very last portion to scoot from Lillooet to Oroville, WA and ride the WABDR south arriving at the Columbia River by Friday Sept. 12th. That's just 10 days for the BC TCAT and WABDR. Am I crazy?

He's on a F800GS and I'm on my Vstrom 650 which I've set up for technical off pavement riding. We're both decent dirt riders having ridden together through central Idaho, Southern and Central Oregon and Moab Utah on off road rides over the last several years.

For you BC riders or those who have ridden this portion, I want your opinions, how many days would the BC portion be from Crowsnest Pass to Lillooet? This would be taking only the big bike routes, and not taking the Chilko Lake option.

We will be mostly camping and tend to hit the sack early and be up and riding no later than 9:00am. On other similar rides, we've averaged 300 US miles per day.

I'm so looking forward to this. I'll keep my eye on this thread to make regular updates to my tracks and planning ideas.

Another question, I ride with GPS and use it well, but I love paper maps and don't ride without them. The Backcountry mapbooks are expensive at $25 each. I think it takes 4 different books just to cover the BC portion of the TCAT. Is there a decent general road map which will have most or all of the TCAT roads? Other ideas for paper maps?

Thanks
Tim
Madras, Oregon
MadChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #3056
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
I want to thank everyone who has put the time, energy and thought into making the TCAT a reality. I first found this thread quite sometime back and it immediately grabbed me as something I MUST ride.

The planning has begun. Wish I could do it all but must take it in portions for now.

I'll be leaving Central Oregon Aug. 30th, 2014 and on Sept. 2nd, I'll meet my cousin riding up from Houston, TX. We'll ride through Glacier NP then ride north and begin the BC portion of the TCAT on Sept. 3rd. Depending on how many days it takes us we're considering skipping the very last portion to scoot from Lillooet to Oroville, WA and ride the WABDR south arriving at the Columbia River by Friday Sept. 12th. That's just 10 days for the BC TCAT and WABDR. Am I crazy?

He's on a F800GS and I'm on my Vstrom 650 which I've set up for technical off pavement riding. We're both decent dirt riders having ridden together through central Idaho, Southern and Central Oregon and Moab Utah on off road rides over the last several years.

For you BC riders or those who have ridden this portion, I want your opinions, how many days would the BC portion be from Crowsnest Pass to Lillooet? This would be taking only the big bike routes, and not taking the Chilko Lake option.

We will be mostly camping and tend to hit the sack early and be up and riding no later than 9:00am. On other similar rides, we've averaged 300 US miles per day.

I'm so looking forward to this. I'll keep my eye on this thread to make regular updates to my tracks and planning ideas.

Another question, I ride with GPS and use it well, but I love paper maps and don't ride without them. The Backcountry mapbooks are expensive at $25 each. I think it takes 4 different books just to cover the BC portion of the TCAT. Is there a decent general road map which will have most or all of the TCAT roads? Other ideas for paper maps?

Thanks
Tim
Madras, Oregon
I would say that you will need at least 5 to 6 days minimum to get to Lillooet but that is only if all the route is open, no mechanical or tire issues and weather.

As far as maps go, I can help with some more detailed information. PM me for those.

Ross
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #3057
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,028
Looking like 2014 will be a busy one for the TCAT. Another group of Kiwi's, more Brits and a bunch of US and Canucks.

Of note is a couple of groups in Jeeps.

Safe travels

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 AM   #3058
skibum69
slave to gravity

One of the guys who rode it from Osoyoos stopped in at my place for a cup of tea while he was in town.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #3059
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 841
Any solid complete TCAT Riding Report? I just found out from my spine doctor he wants to perform a Spine Fusion surgery on me this year and I was planning to do TCAT next year before I go up to Alaska then down to Ushuaia but the surgery might make me rethink some of my trip.. and I was hoping to read up a complete RR before I decide whether to do TCAT or skip it.

And FYI, Peyton Manning had Spine Fusion surgery before the Colts released him to draft Andrew Luck and Manning is in the Super Bowl today. Just that he had a full year of recovery before he played football again and I am not sure what my time frame is since I don't have a millionaire employer who can provide a million dollar care.

Thanks in advance for providing a good TCAT RR if any.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #3060
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

And FYI, Peyton Manning had Spine Fusion surgery before the Colts released him to draft Andrew Luck and Manning is in the Super Bowl today. Just that he had a full year of recovery before he played football again and I am not sure what my time frame is since I don't have a millionaire employer who can provide a million dollar care.
That's what working for a non profit organization can do for you