Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #3121
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Thanks Just Jeff. Just what I was looking for! I appreciate the help.
Tim
No worries Mate! Glad to help!!
jj
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #3122
chimo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Riding the TCAT

Well, I have read everyone of the posts in this thread, it is a pretty amazing accomplishments is all I can say, my hats off to the people who first dreamed of this and to all the riders who contributed to the making of such an awesome trail.

I have downloaded the latest files from gravel travel.ca and now I have decided to try and complete the entire ride from beginning to end, with some luck.... Lol

Going to leave Alberta towards the end of July, 2014, going to ride slab to the Rock, stop and visit some friends along the way, hope to be there by the 1st Aug, will have to book the ferry. Maybe a week to do some touring before heading to St. John's and the start of the trail, giving myself around 2 months to complete it all. Doing it on a big bike, 2014 BMW1200GS, will have put the bike through its paces, going to ride the Dempster at the end of June, a three week trip....

Again thanks to all of you you guys are great..... Later
chimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #3123
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo View Post
Well, I have read everyone of the posts in this thread, it is a pretty amazing accomplishments is all I can say, my hats off to the people who first dreamed of this and to all the riders who contributed to the making of such an awesome trail.

I have downloaded the latest files from gravel travel.ca and now I have decided to try and complete the entire ride from beginning to end, with some luck.... Lol

Going to leave Alberta towards the end of July, 2014, going to ride slab to the Rock, stop and visit some friends along the way, hope to be there by the 1st Aug, will have to book the ferry. Maybe a week to do some touring before heading to St. John's and the start of the trail, giving myself around 2 months to complete it all. Doing it on a big bike, 2014 BMW1200GS, will have put the bike through its paces, going to ride the Dempster at the end of June, a three week trip....

Drop me a line if you have any questions or want to drop in for a pint as you pass through Ottawa

Safe Travels

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #3124
ScottOfTheYukon
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:

I'm in Whitehorse heading to Dawson on the 19th of June... drop me a line if we're headed up around the same time. :)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #3125
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Quote:

Dress that GS with the most aggressive tires you can find for the Dempster. When it's wet, the clay sections are [I]really[I] slippery!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #3126
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

The BMW club of Manhattan rode the TCAT across Quebec last year and put together this video of their trip.

Teaser promo video

Full video

Great video's, looks like you had an excellent ride

Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #3127
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 984
Sweet, to bad it wasn't 950s though.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #3128
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:

drop me a line when you hit the rock, maybe I'll be around
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #3129
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

The first TCAT traveler of the year passed threw Ottawa today. Spent an evening with Adrian. He is from the UK and is riding a 12gs. Here is a link to his blog that includes a satellite tracker. He seems bound and determined to finish the route

It sounds like he has had some adventures already and likely will have many more over the coming weeks and months. Ride safely Adrian

http://adventure.gg

Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #3130
Critt
Gathering info

Oddometer: 102
Good for him, all the best. ...one day for me hopefully.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #3131
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

I received an email from Adrian. He is now in North Bay. The section from Ottawa to North Bay can be a bit tricky, particulary for a 12GS solo rider.

After leaving Ottawa Adrian says he found the terrain challenging, mostly because of the size and weight of his bike. It sounds like he persevered though and did a couple of long days and got through it

His next few days will be a bit more relaxing as he makes his way to Timmins then to Wawa and points west.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #3132
Critt
Gathering info

Oddometer: 102
I know it is tough for the riders, but I always really enjoy their daily blogs and photos. Unfortunately there is not much of this right now, but hopefully we can expect some essays in the future.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #3133
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I received an email from Adrian. He is now in North Bay. The section from Ottawa to North Bay can be a bit tricky, particulary for a 12GS solo rider.

After leaving Ottawa Adrian says he found the terrain challenging, mostly because of the size and weight of his bike. It sounds like he persevered though and did a couple of long days and got through it

His next few days will be a bit more relaxing as he makes his way to Timmins then to Wawa and points west.

Damn, that's tough on a GS Adventure, especially by yourself. I'll be taking my DR650, thank you very much. Updated the second photo...

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #3134
adrianr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi guys, I am the Adrian in question. I updated my website last night to put some more photos on. Although, with the challenging riding during the day I'm not really wanting to do much more than get some rest in the evenings.

Bross: well done at spotting the cause of my swimming lesson. Luckily the exhaust stayed above the water, so I didn't have that to worry about.
adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #3135
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post
Hi guys, I am the Adrian in question. I updated my website last night to put some more photos on. Although, with the challenging riding during the day I'm not really wanting to do much more than get some rest in the evenings.

Bross: well done at spotting the cause of my swimming lesson. Luckily the exhaust stayed above the water, so I didn't have that to worry about.

I made the changes to the route description based on your feedback

Safe travels