Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #3166
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,748
Thanks for the update Adrian. I have some buddies who live in Invermere, I'll ask about the legalities of the gate situation.

I've been following your satellite tracker

Safe travels

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #3167
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

https://share.delorme.com/longerroad

Sat tracker page for Adrian

Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #3168
adrianr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
After a couple of days in Vernon, BC, we got back on the trails today. Unfortunately we got turned back 60km after crossing highway 1 due to a couple of big trees that have recently fallen across the logging road at:

Lat: 51.345795
Lon: -118.836884

They'll get moved at some point but I don't know how soon as that section of the road doesn't appear to be actively being used. I couldn't find an alternative route so had to head back to the highway.

Apart from that the logging road was great and recent logging gave great views over Shuswap Lake:

adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #3169
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post
After a couple of days in Vernon, BC, we got back on the trails today. Unfortunately we got turned back 60km after crossing highway 1 due to a couple of big trees that have recently fallen across the logging road at:

They'll get moved at some point...
Ah c'mon, don't you carry one of these...

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #3170
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Hopefully some of the jeep guys will get there and make a way through before I get there in September!!

I keep watching this thread to stay apprised of the changing conditions. I'll be starting at Crowsnest Pass about Sept. 2nd.

Adrian, keep posting I appreciate it!!

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #3171
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anyone confirm that a good alternate route to avoid the downed trees would be a couple kilometers east on the Perry River road?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #3172
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Can anyone confirm that a good alternate route to avoid the downed trees would be a couple kilometers east on the Perry River road?

Thanks
Perry River FSR has been closed for about 3-4 years. It was still closed last spring when I explored it again but I haven't tried it this year so far.

Those downed trees won't be there long based on the amount of traffic I saw on Anstey last summer.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #3173
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Perry River FSR has been closed for about 3-4 years. It was still closed last spring when I explored it again but I haven't tried it this year so far.

Those downed trees won't be there long based on the amount of traffic I saw on Anstey last summer.

Thanks for the intel. Hopefully someone will post up here or give a ride report and confirm when the trees are gone.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #3174
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 752
Adrianr, I have one small request if it is not too much? If/when you reach the end of TCAT, can you kindly please provide a "close to accurate" off your head how much was spent on fuel cost in Canada dollar? And if possible, a ballpark of travel expense for fuel, foods, and accommodate (not including your maintenance and other unexpectedly expenses).

I plan on doing TCAT right before Alaska-Argentina trip next year so it would be good to know what kind of budget to expect before hitting the road. If anyone can offer estimated ballpark, that would be fine with me and usually I add another $500 on top of estimate as "play safe" anyway.

Thanks!!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #3175
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Adrianr, I have one small request if it is not too much? If/when you reach the end of TCAT, can you kindly please provide a "close to accurate" off your head how much was spent on fuel cost in Canada dollar? And if possible, a ballpark of travel expense for fuel, foods, and accommodate (not including your maintenance and other unexpectedly expenses).

I plan on doing TCAT right before Alaska-Argentina trip next year so it would be good to know what kind of budget to expect before hitting the road. If anyone can offer estimated ballpark, that would be fine with me and usually I add another $500 on top of estimate as "play safe" anyway.

Thanks!!
Just some quick back of the napkin calculations. Gas is expensive in Canada compared to the US. Current price in BC (West) is around $1.4/l, will be a little cheaper through the prairies but just count on $1.5/l to be safe, which works out to $5.75/gal.

The TCAT is 15,000kms give or take so 9300 miles. Say your bike gets 40mpg, that's 232 gallons @ $5.75 = $1,334 for gas.

We're not the best to ask about accommodations as my wife and I like to stay in hotels and plan on $100-200/day for hotel/meals etc. Others will chime in who are camping and will have a better idea of costs, but at 7-10 weeks on the road it's going to start to add up.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #3176
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 752
Hi Bross,
Thanks for adding and this is same math I got jotted down and was curious to compare with someone who experienced it first hand. I was using $6 a gal calculating.

Personally I prefer to camp as much as possible mostly stealth camping. This will be necessary for me to camp as much early in the trip so I will have enough fund for motels in Central America after TCAT.

Thanks for chiming in!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #3177
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hi Bross,
Thanks for adding and this is same math I got jotted down and was curious to compare with someone who experienced it first hand. I was using $6 a gal calculating.

Personally I prefer to camp as much as possible mostly stealth camping. This will be necessary for me to camp as much early in the trip so I will have enough fund for motels in Central America after TCAT.

Thanks for chiming in!
Ontario Provincial parks are around $35-40/night (the most expensive of all the Provinces)

http://www.parkreports.com/fees/camping/2014

At a large number of parks you can shower, get drinking water and some have laundry facilities (I would imagine they are coin operated).

It looks like all the provinces have online booking or at least information.

Another epic ride report??
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #3178
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Everyone travels differently but for me...

I always aim for $100 a day. Somehow I always spend $150 a day. I don't cook, spend every second or third night in a bed and usually put decent miles on the bike each day. I watch my pennies but the motels and dinners in restaurants always mean a $150 day average.

Can it be done cheaper? Yes

Can it be done more expensively? Absolutely

Hope that helps

Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #3179
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post

I cannot believe on this. I did the road at July 17, everything was clear!
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #3180
adrianr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Couple of updates from Vancouver Island, the first logging road on the island was closed due to fire risk, no idea when it will re-open:

The Flora main is closed due to active logging on the road side, due to re-open on 15th august but it's easy enough to navigate around this:

White River Mainline is closed until 15th August:

I've also been told that the rock fall at Grant Bay/Winter Harbour was cleared almost immediately, so I will be able to get to the end of the TCAT today!
adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote