Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #3196
adrianr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberjoe View Post
Wow! What an accomplishment, and one heck of an adventure
I plan on hitting most, if not all of the Ontario sections next season, however I will have a buddy following in his Jeep JK.

Well done Adrian! What's next?
Right now I'm in the USA and have got 2 months to ride around. Haven't got any specific plans other than I have to get gf to Las Vegas airport on 19th August.

Got any suggestions?
adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #3197
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post
Right now I'm in the USA and have got 2 months to ride around. Haven't got any specific plans other than I have to get gf to Las Vegas airport on 19th August.

Got any suggestions?
Where in the US? Can't go wrong on the coast, WA Hwy12, OR Hwy66, CA Hwy96, CA Hwy36... lots of good roads between Canada and Vegas.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #3198
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Kootenay River Rd (aka Settlers) should be open soon (according to a buddy who lives in that area).
Kootenay River (Settlers) is open, was there yesterday. The fire is on the left side, up in the mountains, the road is on the river's right side. The Kootnenay bypass rd. is closed, they hold some equipment and chopper's fuel on it, but I rode it through anyway, nobody has said a word, everybody returned my wave/nod.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #3199
adrianr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Where in the US? Can't go wrong on the coast, WA Hwy12, OR Hwy66, CA Hwy96, CA Hwy36... lots of good roads between Canada and Vegas.
We stopped at Touratech and one of the guys there was really helpful with suggesting a route to Vegas. What I do after Vegas is what I need to figure out :-)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #3200
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
adrianr…I wish I could follow in your tire tracks but I only have 4 days to play.

Do you remember where you washed your bike the hard way?

I'm packing up now to start at Bon Echo and finish at Eagle Lake…that work thing always gets in the way. I'm excited to do my first motorcycle camping trip! The only difference that I can see so far between this and canoeing is the portages would really suck with the bike

Deadly99, let me know if I should start another tread or post some highlights here. I'm also working off of the older GSP tracks in case there are any required updates (avoidances).

tofire409 screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 02:06 PM
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #3201
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,967
Revision 3.3 is available (one change in Ontario..between Timmins and Wawa).

Post wherever you'd like

Safe travels

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 07:23 PM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #3202
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,072
So some of the IBAR guys are trying to get together a TCAT rally. This is interesting.
1Bonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #3203
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Ibar?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3204
soberjoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Ibar?
International Brotherhood of Adventure Riders
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #3205
adrianr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
adrianr…I wish I could follow in your tire tracks but I only have 4 days to play.

Do you remember where you washed your bike the hard way?

I'm packing up now to start at Bon Echo and finish at Eagle Lake…that work thing always gets in the way. I'm excited to do my first motorcycle camping trip! The only difference that I can see so far between this and canoeing is the portages would really suck with the bike

Deadly99, let me know if I should start another tread or post some highlights here. I'm also working off of the older GSP tracks in case there are any required updates (avoidances).
From Bon Echo to Eagle lake was mostly OK except for some mud in the forests soon after Bon Echo (which I'm you probably can't predict unless you know the area and the recent weather) and a washout on the rail line between Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout... And there was a mistake on the GPS track between Chapleau and Wawa but that's been fixed now.

All through Ontario I didn't have any problems finding alternative routes when I came across sections I couldn't get through.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #3206
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

http://westboundndown.blogspot.ca/?m=1

This fellow started the TCAT in Ontario 3 days ago and is headed to Vancouver, solo on a xr650r

Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #3207
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:

This fellow started the TCAT in Ontario 3 days ago and is headed to Vancouver, solo on a xr650r

Looking like it will be a good one, solo, that takes guts!
1Bonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #3208
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Riding Central BC portion Starting Sunday

Will be riding in reverse from Squamish toward Nakusp for the Horizons unlimited gathering next weekend, my on my f800 and my wife on her Super Sherpa. Honk if anyone sees us. Any special campsites or things to do/see along the way that we otherwise might miss? Camping at Ghost lake rec site just south of Barkerville sounds cool.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #3209
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 831
Quote:

Look like a promising RR on TCAT!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #3210
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Does anyone know if the "loop" along Chilko lake is open? The "Kiwi's" posted this:

At Lake Chilco we lost the continuation of the trail and required directions from a local, to what was actually a horse track - maybe 20km alongside Chilco Lake, plenty of tree roots, rocks, puddles & gnarly ruts to keep us concentrated -a great ride!

Unfortunately a locked gate and a private land no trespassing sign is now blocking the TCAT, and it appears completing the circumnavigation of Lake Chilco is no longer possible. We spent some time looking for a go around, but eventually just having to find a way over the Chilcotin River to get out of the forest . We then found a track we could take to get out to the main road but a local we happened upon told us it was in bad condition and a real grovel and would take us hours to get through.

So at after 5 pm, discretion became the better part of valour, and we headed for Lake Tatla, which was unfortunately in the opposite direction to our desired route.

So I'm wondering of the current GPS track takes this into consideration? To me it sounds like they were trying to completely circumnavigate the entire lake. The current track is just a loop on the east side of the lake. Can someone shed some light in this?

Thanks
Tim
Hi Tim, yes the TCAT route included an optional circumnavigation of Chilco Lake at that time ( 2013- a year ago). I understand Deadly has modified the Chilco Lake route since our feedback.
We desperately wanted to complete that loop, and spent a lot if time that day looking for a go around.
Unfortunately the only way was blocked by a locked gate.
We were pretty pissed about it honestly .

The Chilco Lake "loop" was amongst the highlights of our ride.
NZ is a country of beautiful lakes, but Chilco is a match for any if them.
If you can, go see it.

Bryan, Mike and I read the ride reports in this blog and find a little humour in some of them.
We are not off road experts, but have done a lot of riding in demanding conditions and circumstances, both in NZ and on a number of continents.
In our experience, Guys writing of 140 k/hr averages etc must have been on another route. It just was not that easy , in 2013 anyway.
It is however , a ride of a lifetime .
Once is enough however - it is a bloody long way from St Johns to Vancouver IF you truly follow the route the WHOLE way. If being the operative word .

Ted if you read this mate, we have raised many a glass to you and your TCAT development colleagues over the past year.
Once again we say thanks .
To others who may read this, stop thinking. Go do it. Life is short!

Keith
2013 TCAT Kiwi.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote