Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #526
buick driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
I've been following this thread for quite a while and am really impressed with the progress. Even with substantial outside input 10,500 miles of back country route is a mammoth task. A couple of comments from my experience. 29 days 365 mi/day would be more than most riders of nearly any riding ability level would find enjoyable. Also, experience from the TAT says much over 35 mi/hr moving average on back country gravel is hauling butt. 9 hours a day is quite doable, but with fuel and food stops 9 hours will only get 200 to 250 miles and unless your DS bike is a lot more comfortable than mine, that's plenty. So 40-50 days plus maintainence and rest days. If I were to attempt the route, I think breaking it into 5 to 10 day sections and doing multiple trips. Looking forward seeing this completed. What a way to see Canada!
You make some very good points about the daily riding limits of people and the time involved. Gas, food and rest stops really eat into the day. 3/400 km. per day on easy gravel would be it for me.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #527
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Greetings,
Perhaps this has been mentioned, but what's the reason for the approximately 8 or 9 days that have a long (200-400 km) stretch of pavement?
Could these be bypassed to keep this an even more off-road type event?

ktm950se
Originally the idea was to have no pavement. This turned out to be a bit naive. Paved roads are being used when there seems to be no other option. Canada has several area's where there isn't a whole lot of options for the route unfortunately. Either there are no other roads or the roads are not suitable for the route (seasonal roads..aka winter only, privately owned roads, roads that are created then decommisioned when not used..aka logging/mining roads in some parts).

At first I was really bummed about this. After riding several sections of the route, I now don't think they detract from the route. It's a freaking wide country (widest in the world) and having a few hours here and there on pavement is a real nice break, in my opinion. The paved roads that are to be included, for the most part, are some pretty freaking sweet roads . Viking highway in NFLD, the coastal road in Labrador, the number 17 along the shore of Lake Superior, the Sea to Sky Highway in BC, the road from Port Alberni to the Pacific Rim park in BC. Sure if there was an alterative that was gravel road or an offroad route we'd be sure to use it, but this doesnt seem to be the case. So where we are forced to use paved roads we are doing our best to ensure that they are good roads for riding (scenic, twisty, hilly, a point of interest on them, etc).

The alternataive would have been to not have the route cross the entire country, which would have kind of defeated the idea of having a cross country route in my opinion I truely believe that there is enough non paved roads on the route to satisfy most folks appetite.

Hopefully that answered your question ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #528
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 112
Moving average

So far I've traveled the TAT (in this order on multiple trips) Utah, Arkansas, three quarters of Okla and Colorado. We navigated with gps and roll chart backup. We travel at a pretty good pace on Ktm 525 Exc's street legal of course, small group, 3 sometimes 4, all older 55+ riders with considerable enduro racing experience. Utah TAT, for example, has a considerable amount of good gravel roads, maybe 40% of 600 odd miles, many where 80+mph is very doable and the rest is more trail like, not too technical, but certainly lower paced by quite a bit. I was very surprised when at the end of our first day the gps indicated a moving average of only 25 mph. I figured it was a fluke and other sections would be much faster. Turns out that a full day of easy well graded roads like the Arkansas TAT nets only 30 mph or so average. Realize we are not racing, although we occasionally "challenge" so to speak for a few miles here and there. Sorry for the diatribe as I say all that to say this, you really have to haul butt to maintain 35 mph moving average, much of the day will be at speeds of 60 mph or more to get near that. As you may have gathered, I'm a big fan of back country travel, no cars, no crowds, just great friends and motorcycles! I can't wait to see oh Canada.
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #529
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by buick driver
You make some very good points about the daily riding limits of people and the time involved. Gas, food and rest stops really eat into the day. 3/400 km. per day on easy gravel would be it for me.
We sincerly appreciate your opinion and others who have questioned the daily mileage. The topic is being reviewed and discussed with the folks who are contributing and involved in the project.

Perhaps we won't use a day by day breakdown for the route...or we'll adjust the suggested daily mileage...or......

Perhaps becuase I ride (along with my buddies) gravel roads ALOT (daily to work and back) I have a scewed perspective on what most folks can cover in a day ? Typically I ride faster on gravel than on pavement (never seen a police officer on a gravel road ) but I suppose this isn't the case for alot of people. I really thought the 600-700 km a day was a good compromise, turns out I am wrong...again I am not trying to be a jerk, completely the opposite in fact, having people give their opinions is fantastic. The route is being made for you to ride and to enjoy, expressing your opinions is helping us.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #530
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
I can't wait to try out this route!
Canada is infinitely better once you get off the Trans-Canada hwy
Otherwise it's just Walmarts and Essos

@manxman
How far north does your route go? could it be connected to a Yukon/Alaska route?

@deadly99
Man, I gotta take a clue from your old timer at the cafe. Screw this city livin, I'm gonna be a fur trapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak
After the first half I wouldn't be "NEW" anymore...
true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak

I'm hoping to learn lots of things from you guys, take shorter trips to start and work up to the big one.
That's the way to do it man! I've only been riding a few years, I started with a few weekend trips, then Montreal to Newfoundland, then cross Canada, then I looked-up an found myselef in Panama...

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #531
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko
Inquiring minds want to know, what came first, the bike or the iceberg?

nice places you have there...

I parked the bike there in January to wait for the iceberg
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #532
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
... Hopefully that answered your question ?
Yes, and quite graciously. Thanks again for all your efforts in this endeavor.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #533
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thumb Tcat

Wow, everyone's pics are spectacular! This is going to be a great trail once it's finished - maybe one of the best in the world!

Pavement doesn't take away from the trip - especially if it's curvy! A few hundred km of straight Saskatchewan pavement wouldn't be much fun, though. I've done that before on my KLR, and it's nothing to write home about. But a few hundred km of curvy forested hilly pavement is a different story altogether.

Heck, I'm just looking forward to showing Deadly and the boys the stretch from Swan River MB to Radium BC! Just that in itself will be epic! But I do have a goal to ride the entire trail someday. Can't wait to see the rest of it too!

As for a newbie riding it, I'd get some experience with 2 to 3 day trips first. Then maybe go for a week long ride. Also, make sure you know how to maintain and repair your bike - there would definitely be bike problems somewhere on a trip like this, and if you are prepared they will likely not be too big an issue. If you're not prepared they could be a huge issue, especially if they occur in a remote area - of which there are alot on this route.

Also, when I did the GDR we spent 22 days and went almost 9000 km (407 km/day or 253 mi/day for you 'mercans out there), almost all on good backroads, and it was actually tough. You do start to get run down from long days on the road, and while at the start we could do 12 to 14 hour days without any trouble by the end we were checking into motels at 5:00 in the afternoon and things like that. I can't speak for the whole route, but I can say that a loooong day in the SK and AB portion will likely net you around 500 km.

Can't wait to try it all firsthand and verify (or disprove) that statement! Good work so far to all involved in the project, and especially to the guys who started the massive endeavour.
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #534
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
[QUOTE=Deadly99]

QUOTE]

Hey, are those Kitchen Katchers on your hands
Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #535
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Please keep in mind that the majority of this route is going to be gravel roads. Seems like it's the more challenging parts where the camera always seems to come out and in turn this thread seems to make the route look harder than it is. ALOT of it is just cruising down "gravel highways" where an experienced person can make good mileage......

Ted, don't forget how many BMW's went down on those 'gravel highways' Sometimes trickier than they look when you're loaded down

My saving grace was the new steering damper, man, I would have suffered without it.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #536
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrover
Have you considered that as the TAT (Trans American Trail) is only do-able from East to West and now it appears your route is being built East to West...

You FF's are leading all those East Coast FF's out West! Please Stop the insanity! Be sure to develp a West to East Route Book! We here in the Western US would really appreciate the opportunity to send those East Coasters back where they came from along the TCT (Trans Canada Trail)!

Fantastic Job by the way! Can't wait to give it a try!

jwrover
Colorado

Now there's in interesting ride ... out and back, maybe 2.5 months on the road. Wonder if you'd be sick of trees by then
Old 11-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #537
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Ted, don't forget how many BMW's went down on those 'gravel highways' Sometimes trickier than they look when you're loaded down

My saving grace was the new steering damper, man, I would have suffered without it.
Dan, dont forget how many KTM's broke down.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #538
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98
I prefer to call it "taking a mechanical rest break"

Old 11-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #539
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

So an email chain flew around with most of the folks involved and it seems like a decision has been made to not do a day by day breakdown of the route. Based on the differences in folks speeds and length of days it appears as if it was bad idea. Instead we will break the trip down by province.

Logical gas station stops, campgrounds, towns, bike shops, etc will be identified in the "guide" for each province and folks can create their own scheduled based on distances, gas stops, points of intewrest, etc

In the end this is probably a good thing and will let folks be more "involved" in their planning (heck half the fun is planning a trip ). I believe we will be providing enough information in the "guide" that planning your trip should be straightforward.

The reason behind why we were going to do a day by day breakdown of thee route wasnt so much to do with dicating each days distances as it was for ease of providing the route charts, helping people find accomdoations, gas, etc Not a biggie for us to work around by any means and in the end we all feel it is the right decision

Thanks again for your input, it IS helping us and in turn it helps out the route as a whole.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #540
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98
Hey it was only 100% of them, at least they are consistent