Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #556
garry499
Race for food!

Oddometer: 69
Eh? :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Had a great day pre running and mapping another couple of trails with Gary in early June. There was going to be a larger group but the impending rains made a few of the lads shy away.

Another fun fast day was had The rains did eventually come. If you see black earth it gets real slippery when wet, in contrast the sandy roads actually benefit from some rain to add traction.

Great ride Gary, we'll have to do it again

Who's that old fat dude standing next to the DRZ??? ( BTW, Who now has a KLR ) ;)
garry499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #557
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
I agree on avoiding Tofino and staying north, we really have an almost endless set of gravel options to get around on, a loop could easily be developed. Less traffic, not as commercial and touristy and way more freedom not being in the park. You easterners make sure to look up some locals (like me) when you get this way if you want a guide on another unreliable KTM!

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #558
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Thanks for the intro, Deadly

And thanks again for having me. Looking forward to helping out in any way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Not yet but we're working on it. There are a few gaps here and there but the majority of the route has been planned and much of it has been ridden. Vancouver Island has not ye been touched ........

I believe Ross is ending his section at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal ....

Some very good suggestions for the island, thanks

The goal over the winter months is to begin the long process of making and sorting out the gps tracks. I'd like to welcome GISDOOD to everyone. Kelly has stepped up and volunteered some time to help us with the mapping-gps portion of the project. He works in the electronic mapping industry and his skill set is a welcome addition to the project.

A few emails have been flying around in regards to what format to distribute the route in. Routes versus tracks, etc. A plan seems to be coming together for this portion of the project

Once again, welcome GISDOOD
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #559
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 619
Just finished reading all this. Fantastic ! A few suggestions since you asked. My mapping skills max out at giving tourists directions to the beer store but how hard is it to reverse directions ? Like it has been mentioned , having it make a "round trip " out of an established route like the American's Trans Am trail would be a very nice touch. I like that it includes pavement as I'm more into ds/adventure riding than just dirt biking and it is an ideal way to see what Canada has. Having it go through Ottawa is perfect. Maybe include something "distinct" for every province if possible. Winter Harbour also gets my vote for the west end. About as west as you can get , fun roads to get there , some history, camping , a beer store to give directions to, and the wooden board walk on the water's edge for a "main street " seems to fit the theme. Tofino is cool , also a killer paved road to get there but has gotten a little touristy imho.
Breaking it into provinces instead of days would be best if your asking. Everyone who takes it would have their own agenda and time frame. Went to NFLD on pavement once and it was a 6 week rounder for me . Predicting days might lead to dissapointment for some.
Like the TCAT for an official name but I'm still gonna call it the Beaver trail when I'm riding it ! If you need a tag along on any of the B.C. stuff to test its compatability for tired fat guys on heavy bikes let me know!

B.C.Biker screwed with this post 12-06-2010 at 09:30 AM
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #560
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry499 View Post
Who's that old fat dude standing next to the DRZ??? ( BTW, Who now has a KLR ) ;)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #561
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Just finished reading all this. Fantastic ! A few suggestions since you asked. My mapping skills max out at giving tourists directions to the beer store but how hard is it to reverse directions ? Like it has been mentioned , having it make a "round trip " out of an established route like the American's Trans Am trail would be a very nice touch. I like that it includes pavement as I'm more into ds/adventure riding than just dirt biking and it is an ideal way to see what Canada has. Having it go through Ottawa is perfect. Maybe include something "distinct" for every province if possible. Winter Harbour also gets my vote for the west end. About as west as you can get , fun roads to get there , some history, camping , a beer store to give directions to, and the wooden board walk on the water's edge for a "main street " seems to fit the theme. Tofino is cool , also a killer paved road to get there but has gotten a little touristy imho.
Breaking it into provinces instead of days would be best if your asking. Everyone who takes it would have their own agenda and time frame. Went to NFLD on pavement once and it was a 6 week rounder for me . Predicting days might lead to dissapointment for some.
Like the TCAT for an official name but I'm still gonna call it the Beaver trail when I'm riding it ! If you need a tag along on any of the B.C. stuff to test its compatability for tired fat guys on heavy bikes let me know!

Thanks for the opinions. When I get out to BC again I'll give you a shout and see if your around

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #562
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax View Post
Good call

Me too man, home sweet home

You certainly have a way with the camera, very nice Makes me realize I should be takin more non bike related photo's. Those pics certainly capture the essence of the island.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #563
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Great photography!

A great addition would be the Forestry Trunk Road in Alberta. It runs for several hundred miles up the east slope of the Rocky Mts. It runs south to north, but there are several places where you can continue west.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #564
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider View Post
Great photography!

A great addition would be the Forestry Trunk Road in Alberta. It runs for several hundred miles up the east slope of the Rocky Mts. It runs south to north, but there are several places where you can continue west.
Can't say for sure but I believe the route is intended to include the Trunk Rd. from around Mt Aire Lodge to Crowsnest with a few jump on and off's along the way. Chris is creating this section of the route but I believe he mentioned something along those lines

Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #565
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I believe the route is intended to include the Trunk Rd. from around Mt Aire Lodge to Crowsnest with a few jump on and off's along the way.
Yup, that's the plan. Get on the trunk road from 579 (Harold Creek Road) about 20 km south of Mountain Aire and run down almost to Waiparous. Then South on Richard's Road to highway 1A, West to Canmore, then Smith-Dorrien, Hwy 40, and Powderface. Through McLean Creek (on the roads - though people could do technical off-road there if they want), down Gorge Creek to Turner Valley. From there it's backroads to Longview and 532 and across to the trunk road again, then down to Dutch Creek and Allison Creek.

Some of the Alberta guys figure Deadman's Pass is do-able on a loaded GS. That would reduce the length of time you'd have to spend slabbing it on highway 3.
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #566
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,278
I have not seen the whole thread yet (busy busy busy) but there seemed to be some interest in making a roadbook. If someone can send me a gpx file I might start fooling around with a roadbook....that could then be test ridden at some point in the warmer weather?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #567
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I have not seen the whole thread yet (busy busy busy) but there seemed to be some interest in making a roadbook. If someone can send me a gpx file I might start fooling around with a roadbook....that could then be test ridden at some point in the warmer weather?
this is a great idea actually
but a huge huge job

Seth you are a brave man
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #568
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Very brave indeed. I'll send you an email after the weekend Seth

Antronax has joined the "team" and is going to put his skill set to use

A logo for the TCAT, a template for the guidebook, etc Thanks in advance Anthony and welcome to the crew

Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #569
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
Yup, that's the plan. Get on the trunk road from 579 (Harold Creek Road) about 20 km south of Mountain Aire and run down almost to Waiparous. Then South on Richard's Road to highway 1A, West to Canmore, then Smith-Dorrien, Hwy 40, and Powderface. Through McLean Creek (on the roads - though people could do technical off-road there if they want), down Gorge Creek to Turner Valley. From there it's backroads to Longview and 532 and across to the trunk road again, then down to Dutch Creek and Allison Creek.

Some of the Alberta guys figure Deadman's Pass is do-able on a loaded GS. That would reduce the length of time you'd have to spend slabbing it on highway 3.
Just a side note for those who enjoy fishing. Stop over to Margaret Lake in the Waiparous area, Nice little lake just west off the FTR.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #570
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Nice!

Well done guys. This is looking real good.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote