User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #706
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Northwestern Ontario

I'm very interested in the route you will be taking through Northwestern Ontario. Let me know if you want anything scoped out in this neck of the woods.
Lots of free camping up here.

I can even arrange for exhaust modifications, welding etc.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #707
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Good Job on the advcanada website. Just checked it out.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #708
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
I'm very interested in the route you will be taking through Northwestern Ontario. Let me know if you want anything scoped out in this neck of the woods.
Lots of free camping up here.

I can even arrange for exhaust modifications, welding etc.
Nice looking pipe there. Paint it black and you'll get another 4-5 HP out of it.
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #709
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Roads! View Post
Hey Jager and Skibum.....us PM's , your starting to clutter up the thread with the 'Social networking'
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #710
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post

Thanks. The formula we have been using is to first gather some local knowledge, then based upon that create a map of the proposed route and run it by some locals for their input and suggestions. Then we go and ride it and make changes as needed. A handful of folks from NW Ont have been very helpful in providing input for that section of the route

Here is the proposed route that we plan to go and ride in August. Hoping to spend 2 weeks in the area as we have found that using a computer to create a map just doesn't work in the real world.

By all means if anyone has any input please feel free to comment. We are also hoping to take a stab at going up and around Lake Nipigon while we are up there, I understand it may not be "doable" but I need to see for myself

Hmm..imbedding a Google map doesnt seem to work. I'll post a screen pic of the section and if anyone wants to have a good look let me know and I can send you a Google Earth map for your review. This is a BIG section of the route at +2600 kilometers (between North Bay and the Manitoba border) and has been one that we have been struggeling with for some time. Based on input from others some of the roads "up that way" are on crown land but privately owned by logging companies, etc and are sometimes closed (decommsioned) once the company moves onto other area's. This poses a problem for us as we are trying our best to ensure that the route will be useable for some time to come. We are trying very hard to avoid situations where the route will need to be constantly closing. That would be bad for the folks using the route and a major pain for us to have to keep updating and rerouting sections.

The proposed route is just that proposed, we hope to get a good feel for it this summer and will make chnages as required. The rail line trail from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout has washouts we hear so that trail will only be partially used and will have to reroute onto the nearby roads as required. In total this section looks to be about 75% gravel and 25% paved. Nature of the beast up there and not much we can do to avoid some of the paved sections. That being said some of these are pretty remote paved roads and probably won't detract from the route as a whole, we hope.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 07:03 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #711
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #712
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Thanks. The formula we have been using is to first gather some local knowledge, then based upon that create a map of the proposed route and run it by some locals for their input and suggestions. Then we go and ride it and make changes as needed. A handful of folks from NW Ont have been very helpful in providing input for that section of the route

Here is the proposed route that we plan to go and ride in August. Hoping to spend 2 weeks in the area as we have found that using a computer to create a map just doesn't work in the real world.

By all means if anyone has any input please feel free to comment. We are also hoping to take a stab at going up and around Lake Nipigon while we are up there, I understand it may not be "doable" but I need to see for myself

Hmm..imbedding a Google map doesnt seem to work. I'll post a screen pic of the section and if anyone wants to have a good look let me know and I can send you a Google Earth map for your review. This is a BIG section of the route at +2600 kilometers (between North Bay and the Manitoba border) and has been one that we have been struggeling with for some time. Based on input from others some of the roads "up that way" are on crown land but privately owned by logging companies, etc and are sometimes closed (decommsioned) once the company moves onto other area's. This poses a problem for us as we are trying our best to ensure that the route will be useable for some time to come. We are trying very hard to avoid situations where the route will need to be constantly closing. That would be bad for the folks using the route and a major pain for us to have to keep updating and rerouting sections.

The proposed route is just that proposed, we hope to get a good feel for it this summer and will make chnages as required. The rail line trail from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout has washouts we hear so that trail will only be partially used and will have to reroute onto the nearby roads as required. In total this section looks to be about 75% gravel and 25% paved. Nature of the beast up there and not much we can do to avoid some of the paved sections. That being said some of these are pretty remote paved roads and probably won't detract from the route as a whole, we hope.
It's not hard to hop on and off the rail line...a secondary highway parallels it. The railbed was mostly ok when I last rode it, but with the complete demise of the forest industry, many of the back roads aren't getting that much attention.

Here's a shot of it.

You can camp pretty nuch anywhere up here, it's all Crown Land.
This Quorn Lake, where we camped on the rail bed.

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 09:43 AM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #713
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Here's the ride report, should give you some ideas...some pictures went missing after the forum updates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229975
Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #714
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Thanks Ron, perhaps we'll bump into you next August

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #715
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Here's the ride report, should give you some ideas...some pictures went missing after the forum updates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229975

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #716
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Holy smokes what a lot of information

THANKS, I'm sure it will come in handy when the lads create their routes for these sections.

"its more a matter of what you'll miss" ....we have run into this time and time again. There's no way the route can hit every road out there, or every scenic waypoint. For the sections I have been working on it has been very tough deciding on which road/trail/town to miss in favor of another. Stepping back from one section and looking at the route as whole helps. Yes some great terrain and sites will be missed, it's unavoidable.

I find I have to keep constantly reminding myself that it's a cross Canada route, not a see every damn thing in Canada route

Thanks again, folks suggestions are what this thread is all about

Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #717
ZZR_Ron
Underground

It sure would be nice if Topo Canada would show the backroads at greater than 1.5 km zoom....it also won't do routing on the abandoned railway lines.

I may have to use Backroads Mapbook, and hand trace the tracks for this area.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #718
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

All of the TCAT WILL be on roads or trails where trucks and bikes are allowed. I for one have had to miss a few classic in Ontario due the grey nature of access rights. Just another challenge to the project

The BC section is designed to be done no earlier than mid to late June. Remember people will have been on the road for 4-6 weeks by the time they get there. Leaving NFLD in May is about the earliest anyone could hope to start the route, some years that may even be pushing it depending on the previous years snowpack. We've run into snow on the trails in Quebec in late May in years past.

Of course we understand some folks will choose to only do a section of the route and that's great but it is being designed as a cross country route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I live and ride/hunt/fish/backpack here a lot...

It's also a matter of timing. A great route in August - September can be impassible due to snow or water height in May, June or even July around here - and that is probably true a lot of other places.

Well, when the lads who don't live around here get around to doing the routing for this area, they know how to get in touch with me. And for this area at least, I would strongly recommend they get their routes vetted by the BC government to insure they aren't going to run through road closures and related issues.

If you did any riding, 4x4'ing up in the Bugs when you were in Radium, you might want to consider laying out a sidetrip up into that area. I haven't been up in there in quite a while, but I intend to hopefully remedy that this summer, weather and time permitting.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #719
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
It sure would be nice if Topo Canada would show the backroads at greater than 1.5 km zoom....it also won't do routing on the abandoned railway lines.

The Back Roads series of books has been very valuable for us in Ontario and Quebec, it has also leadmto some....interesting days following snowmobile trails that dump you in a bog or sittingnstaring at a lake

Try google maps it does a relatively decent job of shOwing many of the backspace, I am often surprised at some of the trails it calls roads.

Deadly99 screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 02:18 PM
Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #720
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:

The back roads series of books has been very valuable for us in Ontario and Quebec, it has also lead me to some....interesting days following snowmobile trails that dump you in a bog or sittingnstaring at a lake

Try google maps it does a relatively decent job of shOwing many of the backspace, I am often surprised at some of the trails it calls roads.