Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM   #751
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Your east-west battle of the pics is sure making the winter hard to take, not sure how much more I can take. Minus 31 degrees celcius today without the windshield. Coming into work and staring at these photo's sure has me twitching to get back on the bike.....9 more weeks to wait

Some stunning photo's BTW

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #752
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Some like it hot

A balmy -27 here in Montreal. This is a great thread. Hope to start riding some sections this summer. Don't forget that some of us on bigger bikes are stupid and like the occasional tough section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Your east-west battle of the pics is sure making the winter hard to take, not sure how much more I can take. Minus 31 degrees celcius today without the windshield. Coming into work and staring at these photo's sure has me twitching to get back on the bike.....9 more weeks to wait

Some stunning photo's BTW
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #753
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
A balmy -27 here in Montreal. This is a great thread. Hope to start riding some sections this summer. Don't forget that some of us on bigger bikes are stupid and like the occasional tough section!
I dont think that the optional "technical sections" will dissappoint The main route is primarily gravel roads and pavement where gravel was not available. There are a few short "holy crap" moments to be had on the main but nothing crazy. That being said, some of the main route will be challenging when wet depending on the surface and I believe that the remoteness in some areas adds it's own challenges

Glad your enjoying the read, the route is really starting to take shape now and it is becoming easier to see what the end product will look like, and.....well....it's looking great

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #754
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
It's not a battle. It's a schooling on why where he's from is called "the Rock", and why there are six national parks within two hours of here, God knows how many mountain provincial parks, and a double handful of heli and cat skiing operations in the same location.

Well thanks. You could hand a blind man a camera around here and he'd do just about as good. Might be a reason some of Canada's best outdoor photographers are from around here.

I guess I do need to start remembering that not everyone has a 24" monitor, however... and that not all websites automatically resize photos to a maximum size for display.
You have some great photos, here's a thread that could use some updated pics:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474826
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #755
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Fantastic photos!! Mailed a letter from the Winter Harbour post office a couple winters ago. Think they only collect it there once a week or so. A letter home from each end of the trail with the post mark would make a great suvinior (sp?). Don't forget to dip a sleeve in each ocean.
An interesting factoid a full timer there told me was the Dept. of Highways still looks after the wooden "main street". They have been trying to give it to the town but it would be big bucks to maintain for such a small pop. The Scarlet Ibis in Hoelburg is a good place for a burger and beer. Surprising how many people have a story about that place. The town used to be the worlds largest floating camp. There was a radar base and associated town nearby that even had a theatre and hospitol during the war. The old radar site would be a great view point but was told it is sometime gated.Never made it up there myself.
There is a couple places to camp in Winter Harbour. Stayed in some very nice cabins on the water front one winter but not sure about vacancies in the summer.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #756
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Fantastic photos!! Mailed a letter from the Winter Harbour post office a couple winters ago. Think they only collect it there once a week or so. A letter home from each end of the trail with the post mark would make a great suvinior (sp?). Don't forget to dip a sleeve in each ocean.
An interesting factoid a full timer there told me was the Dept. of Highways still looks after the wooden "main street". They have been trying to give it to the town but it would be big bucks to maintain for such a small pop. The Scarlet Ibis in Hoelburg is a good place for a burger and beer. Surprising how many people have a story about that place. The town used to be the worlds largest floating camp. There was a radar base and associated town nearby that even had a theatre and hospitol during the war. The old radar site would be a great view point but was told it is sometime gated.Never made it up there myself.
There is a couple places to camp in Winter Harbour. Stayed in some very nice cabins on the water front one winter but not sure about vacancies in the summer.

Winter Harbour has a pretty nice campground right in town... When I worked for the Regional District Parks it was on our rounds....

The building in the backdrop is the Scarlett Ibis, it's still in business on the waterfront {when the tides in} in downtown Holberg...

The base during the war years was at Cape Scott and was dismantled in 1945... During the 60s the San Joseph base near Holberg went into service until about 1990 when it too was dimantled ...The area where this CF base was has completely gone back to nature in the 20 years since it's demise...The gymnasium from the base was loaded on a barge and towed around Vanisle to Sointula where it is in use today by the elementary school... The road up to the radar station is a no go as it is heavily gated near the bottom of the hill ...

I believe these old piles are all that remains of the worlds largest float camp

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 12:09 AM
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #757
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Are reservations required at the camp ground during the summer ?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #758
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Are reservations required at the camp ground during the summer ?
http://www.rdmw.bc.ca/files/%7B7576B...tah%202009.pdf

Going by this brochure who knows? I see they added a fee that may or may not get collected...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #759
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Really!!!!

Maybe you will... and maybe you won't. You bring your staff, skintight leotards and whatever, and I'll just continue dressing for success...

I'll bring some friends then - they love to throw surprise parties. They knock on the door pretty hard...

Or not...

Hmmmmm....

Oh look! A little piece of glacier dandruff! Didn't come from here...

Sounds like the perfect boatin' and sating for tired old men.

We do our boating and sating after the ride a little bit different around these parts...

The idea of a Newfy ski bum intrigues me... sounds sorta like the list of famous Saskatchewan mountain climbers!
Now you're starting to sound like one of those people who puts down our end of the country yet has never actually been there to see for yourself. Either way it is a beautiful country we live in, with a lot of places to see and ride from coast to coast
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #760
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Just a suggestion.. but if we're gonna ramble off-topic and digress, can we please clean up the quotes so that we're not seeing 20 in-line quoted pictures over and over in each quote? Its hard enough envying all of Jager's (and everyone else's) pics ONCE while I look out the window at the 3' of snow on the ground.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #761
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Just a suggestion.. but if we're gonna ramble off-topic and digress, can we please clean up the quotes so that we're not seeing 20 in-line quoted pictures over and over in each quote? Its hard enough envying all of Jager's (and everyone else's) pics ONCE while I look out the window at the 3' of snow on the ground.

I almost unsubscribed to my own thread as seeing all of these pics at this time of year is beginning to make me twitch. Had my morning coffee sitting on my bike in the garage making vroom vroom noises and trying to convince my wife I wasn't loosing it

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #762
skibum69
slave to gravity

I stand down....
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #763
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
And no slight intended.

It IS possible to hit this area at a time when you can put both your skis and your bike to good use, ya know... I'd suggest shipping the ski gear ahead instead of the bike... I think we can find room for them with the rest of the gear.
there ya go, now I've got a place to stay while I fit in the fun
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #764
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
am I the only one that thinks Jager and Skibum will get along just fine once they actually meet

can't wait to some day ride some of this with you FF
I'll bring the camera.

oh and +1 on quote clean up
now back to the program already in progress
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #765
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
am I the only one that thinks Jager and Skibum will get along just fine once they actually meet