Oddometer: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Wow, that looks so amazing.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #782
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,473
We have some new information about what we have been working on lately.

Antronax has come up with a superb logo for the project and a great template for the guidebook. Finishing touches are being done and it looks fantastic

We have registered a new domain name for a web site to distribute the gps files/mpas/guidebook/etc from. www.graveltravel.ca
The website should be up and running in the fall, we're quite excited about this new direction the project has taken. Fab is going to be hosting/helping with the site

Quantis (Stephen) has joined the "team" and will be putting his skills to use and will be creating a promo movie for the web site and a documentary style DVD to be bundeled with the guidebook. Welcome aboard Stephen Film is a new medium for Stephen and he seems quite keen to expand his skillset, he currently works as a professional photographer and is quite skilled if I may say so. I apologize to folks in advance, like it wasn't enough that I always seem to have a camera in everyones face, now it'll be a video camera....

Juames has taken on the western Quebec portion of the route which for me is very exciting. His contribution in eastern Ontario has been fantastic (some very fun optional sections) and I'm sure he'll come up with something fun for us in the hills of western Quebec

As for the BC guys, Ross and David....wow! I am always blown away by your photo's and I am simply chomping at the bit to get out and see what is in store for us in BC

NFLD holds some great potential and I understand that Mike has been wrapping his head around what roads and trails would best suit the project. If all goes well I'll get a chnace to go out east to "the rock" and check out what is on the table for the beginning of the TCAT. From my brief visit there last season I'm sure it will be impressive. The viking highway was one of the most enjoyable paved roads I've ridden in a while, waves from the Atlantic crashing on your left and the mountains of Gros Morne park on your right....stunning Throw in some gravel to get across the island and well.....NFLD should be fantastic

Chris has taken on a lions share of the route (Manitoba, Sask and Alberta) and seems to have put together a tenatative game plan for the "middle" of the country. I know I am not alone when I say I was sceptical about the prairie provinces but after seeing some photo's and getting a chance to get a glimpse of some of the proposed route last fall I am shocked at the beauty this area has to offer. Stunning, diverse, barren, etc....

Fab has created a proposed route for eastern Quebec, from the posts he has done in this thread and the info I have been privy to I think he has put together something that blends very well into the whole theme of the TCAT. Remote gravel roads that bring people to places they would norrmally not see. The scenery and culture in that neck of the woods looks amazing. I am planning to meet up with Fab in May and we will spend a few days riding his section of the route

Kelly has begun to create the maps for the different sections of the route. An absolutley great addition to the project The guidebook will have detailed and accurate maps for each gpx file, an overview for each chapter and a map of the entire route. I sincerely feel that having a map really gives perspective to where you are and where you are going. Following a line on a gps can make you loose sight of the big picture, the maps Kelly is producing are a big bonus to the project

Negotiations are ongoing in regards to who is going to create the finsihed product for the gps files.....stay tuned as it looks we may have another fellow coming on board to help out with this protion of the project

So yes, although winter has set in for most of us in Canada, ALOT of work has been going on behind the scenes. The project has really begun to take shape, due soley to the fact that so many people are volunteering their spare time to help out. I've said it before but I'd like to say it again.....
THANKS

Lot's of plans for next season To date I am going to guess and say about 50% of the route has been ridden and about 80% of the route has been mapped. This upcoming year is a big one for the TCAT as most of the folks involved are going to be riding their portions of the route and making adjustements as needed. As pieces to the puzzle get completed the guidebook, maps, gps files, etc start to get worked on. Alot of spokes to this wheel and it's beginning to pick up momentum

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #783
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,682

Awesome work everyone.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #784
AngusMcL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
We are starting to talk about a route through NS on dualsport.ca

http://www.dualsport.ca/forum/forum_...trans-ns-trail

Will update as it comes together.

A.
AngusMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #785
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusMcL View Post

A.

pm sent

Old 01-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #786
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusMcL View Post

A.
This will make it interesting as one of the original route ideas was to run through Labrador from Newfoundland which would pretty much exclude the Maritimes if one stayed in Quebec.

Potentially a very contentious issue I agree, but someone planning the route would have to get to the Island either way so on the way to or from depending, one could get it all in. I have no doubt that both NS and NB have great route options and I've ridden some nice red clay in PEI.

Sadly we lost our PEI champion in a MC accident last year so we'll have to search for another guide to put that one together.

This will make it truly a cross Canada adventure!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #787
AngusMcL
Adventurer

With the completion of paving the TLH on the horizon, the route through the Maritimes makes complete sense, and I would guess "officially" become part of the TCAT. And until then, it will add a little variety for anyone coming west to east so that you don't have to retrace from St John's all the way to Que.

A.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #788
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I'm going to side step all the odd stuff people are complaining about because I'm not sober enough to spell my name at this moment...

I just want to add that the TLH will not be fully paved for several years so we all need to ride it now, until then don't fight and I will be happy to drink with any and all newcomers
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #789
Orange Toaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
A few quesions for the inmates.
Being as how we are creating this route for others to ride, and I suspect that almost everyone who will ride this is a member or lurker on this forum, it seems appropriate to get your opinions and thoughts.

First is a name for this route. TCT (Trans Canada Trail) is the logical name but it's used by a hiking trail across this country. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Second..... We were thinking that this route or parts of it would be provided in a roadbook format. We want navagation to be a part of this as oppossed to just following a green line on your gps. For the more road orientated sections a gps file would be available as having a roadbook that says follow this road for 2000 km's didn't seem to make sense. Are we off here? Would you rather it just be in gps or does the combo make sense ? It's you folks that'll be riding it after all so what would you prefer ? We ran into issues with making a route for gps's as they only seem to work well for roads that are on a map. Tracks work well but not everyone has a gps that accepts tracks (me included).

One last question for now....how much pavement is too much ? Staying away from pavement has been the goal and utilizing paved roads only as needed.....but this has the downside of hindering the route from seeing some pretty scenic and historic locations. We don't want to add to much pavement and take away from the "vision" of the route but I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this topic.

Lastly a huge thanks to the numerous pm's I've received. A lot of great suggestions and offers to help out with a section, offers to join us riding for a section, offers for a tent spot in a backyard and so on. I'm amazed and honoured......a HUGE thank you. It is a large undertaking but it will certainly be easier with your support. I've started a map with everyone's suggestions penciled on it. At the end of the day there is no way we can do them all, sadly. Please don't take offense if we don't use your suggested road-trail-etc, the route needs to be somewhat of an East-West route and can't end up looking like spaghetti on a map or it would take us too many years to ride it all and would be so long that no one would be able to fit it into one season, lol

Thanks in advance !
This might already have been answered, however:
I'd love to follow your route, and if I do it will be as a tourist Therefore I would appreciate a route that would lead me past interesting tourist "must-sees".

Also, when I travel in remote areas I rely as little as possible on electronic equipment that may fail. On my 15,000 km adventure ride in Australia in 2010 I used maps and only a small waterproof GPS for verifying my location and to be able to tell my exact location in terms of emergency. Therefore, please do provide map references where possible.

Cheers
OT
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #790
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Toaster View Post
This might already have been answered, however:
I'd love to follow your route, and if I do it will be as a tourist Therefore I would appreciate a route that would lead me past interesting tourist "must-sees".

Also, when I travel in remote areas I rely as little as possible on electronic equipment that may fail. On my 15,000 km adventure ride in Australia in 2010 I used maps and only a small waterproof GPS for verifying my location and to be able to tell my exact location in terms of emergency. Therefore, please do provide map references where possible.

Cheers
OT
This had not been discussed before and will be discussed, thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #791
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,727
I grabbed this picture link from last years NI ride, I hope to include some of these areas in the trail routing:http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/sh...-Ride-Pictures..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #792
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

The scenery on Vacouver Island never seizes to amaze me. From mountains to rainforests...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #793
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,222
Not sure where the NS portion of the discussion is but there are numerous 4x4 clubs that would have some good info. I know some good fire roads that go through Guysborough as well, would be sad to miss Guysborough County! When will the recce of the NS portion begin? Selfishly thinking if I had a time line to work to I could push the bike purchase decision haha.

Loving the idea of this thread!
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #794
frankt
n00b

Oddometer: 2
canada's population

the population of Canada is now 34 million and not 31 million as stated. We just got bigger !
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #795
AngusMcL
Adventurer

Check out the discussion on dualsport.ca

For the foreseeable future, this will be a NS only project.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Not sure where the NS portion of the discussion is but there are numerous 4x4 clubs that would have some good info. I know some good fire roads that go through Guysborough as well, would be sad to miss Guysborough County! When will the recce of the NS portion begin? Selfishly thinking if I had a time line to work to I could push the bike purchase decision haha.

Loving the idea of this thread!