save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #827
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Agreed. How about a picture of that trailer is full setup, just to make us minamalist bikers drool with envy of the comfort levels it provides
Didn't want to clutter up the thread with that stuff, but since you asked... I don't have a lot of great photos of it, and it's not finished yet but here you go:

This is the tent popped up. It comes with a ladder, which I forgot on this trip, so the bull-bar on the truck served the purpose which is why I parked like that. The tent is the size of a queen size bed. You're basically guaranteed to be dry, NO MATTER WHAT happens. The mattress is extremely comfortable. The bedding all stays in place, so you can stop, crank up the tent in 30 seconds, and be in bed. No poles, no stakes, no nothing. I've camped in July when it was really hot and humid, but started raining. Since the walls are vertical, I can open up the doors and windows for ventilation, but no rain came in. It's large enough that my wife and I, and our two kids and little dog can all sleep up there. But it's tight.

That's why I built a kid's sleeping area in one side:

It will be accessed by simply dropping down the steel side panel, and going in a door. There will be a window.

On the other side is the kitchen. It's got a Coleman Hot Water On Demand system installed, which is really nice. Stainless steel sink which I insulated underneath (makes a huge difference washing dishes in the cold). LED lighting. Propane powered fridge and a stove with oven sit on the slide-out. You can stop on the side of the trail, open the doors, and be cooking a nice lunch in minutes. Don't mind the minivan... truck was broken and we decided to go camping anyway.

Here's a pic with the cabinets I built installed. Still need doors. This was at Achray in Algonquin, it's a remote campsite on the northeast side. Very nice, and much quieter than the sites along Hwy 60. About 50km of dirt road to get in. Highly recommended. No hot showers, but flush toilets and a number of lakefront sites.

Also close to the access point for the Baron Canyon in Algonquin which is a fun day-trip in the canoe.

Here's some random bike content. My friend Kevin Cockayne, KTM Canada sponsored rider.

R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #828
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,018
Well..next time I am in a wet sleeping bag in a damp tent, eating boil in the bag food.....I'll be day dreaming of that trailor

Nicely done

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #829
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
So at any point is this trail going to become official? Like with sign's and such saying "You are at km 3000 of the TCAT:"... Or is it going to be unofficial and just known about by us ADV Riders?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #830
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

I'd be surprised if there are signs, but it won't just be ADV. This is being pitched at Overland Canada and Expedition Portal as well.

Ted, another thing about the trailer, I have a rail that bolts across the tongue to take my bike. I plan to add another one for my boy's JR50, and there's a reciever out back to mount another motorcycle hitch rack. It was conceived from the start to be an enduro support trailer. Shower and a warm bed at the Cord would be nice.
Attached Images

R_Lefebvre screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 05:08 PM
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #831
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter View Post
So at any point is this trail going to become official? Like with sign's and such saying "You are at km 3000 of the TCAT:"... Or is it going to be unofficial and just known about by us ADV Riders?

Nope, as all the terrain is on public access roads/land there hasnt been a need to get the "officials" involved. That being said, there may be a spin off advantage to the route for local riding area's. If an area is to be closed to recreational activity it may give local clubs/organizations a leg up in their fight if they point to the TCAT or other routes and show that the area is part of an established route. Not saying this is the case, but it may be a fringe benfit.

I "may" go and stick a sign up somewhere saying something along the lines of "Are we having fun yet? TCAT"

Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #832
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
I have exchanged a few pm's back and forth with Tom over the last few weeks in relation to the TCAT project. He seems like a great guy and is more than willing to do whatever he can to help out

I passed his information along to Manxman and Gunnerbuck and I explained to Tom that both of these fellows "are in charge" of their section. Having too many chefs in the kitchen sort of thing. Both Manxman and Gunnerbuck have a very clear idea of how their sections fit into the big picture of the project and they both have a good grasp of the ideals of the project (remote gravel roads, a splash of excitement, scenery and culture, terrain doable by big bikes, distance between gas,etc etc etc).

Both Manxman and Gunnerbuck have Tom's contact info and I leave it in their hands. I do like the suggestion that once we have finalized our route we pass it by Tom and Co. to see if it can benefit their "cause" of keeping area's open to dualsport bikes.

Certainly we all appreciate the support form the BCDualsport and BCORMA organizations and it would be great if we can both help each other out
Cool. Everything is looking great so far!!

Dave
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #833
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,043
Made it out today to do some more route work, here are a few teaser pics:
These are from the Nimpkish valley north of Woss.

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #834
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Made it out today to do some more route work
Won't be making it out to do any route work here until late March, at least... can't wait to get back out there! Haven't ridden since Nov 5 and it's driving me nuts. I was lucky to get in a ride that late though - usually we'd be done and under snow by mid to late October.

Nice pics! Can't wait to ride it all!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #835
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Yep, we got 2 to 3 guys committed to doing the NB Section. I'm hoping to twist some arms on the NBDSC.CA website to help out in mapping some sections i've personally not run.

AWESOME!!!

Credits for the following photos go to DockingPilot and his trip through NB. The RR can be found here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530858

zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #836
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
lovely! Do you know Gregster in Freddie?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #837
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

90 days until I get to come try the New Brunswick section of the TNE. Very much looking forward to seeing this part of the country that I've never gotten the chance to explore. Some fun looking roads and some nice scenery

Also going to ride across the Gaspe (TNE) before grabbing a ferry over to meet Fab and ride his section of the TCAT with him . We plan to ride the bulk of the Quebec section of the TCAT on this trip, getting home for a quick shower before meeting up with 40+ people to ride the first two days of Ontario

May is shaping up to be a productive month for the routes

2011 is going to see ALOT of the TCAT get ridden by the various folks involved, the big picture is becoming clearer now

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #838
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter View Post
I think there may be too many choices (alternates) to be able to have km markers. OR: they'd be real complicated If you took A, C, G & J to get here you are at xxx km, if you took A, B, F & J to get here you are at yyy km.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #839
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
. We plan to ride the bulk of the Quebec section of the TCAT on this trip, getting home for a quick shower before meeting up with 40+ people to ride the first two days of Ontario

May is shaping up to be a productive month for the routes
When exactly is all that going to happen? I'd be interested in the Ontario section at least. Not sure if I'd take the bike or truck. I would like to do some trips on my bike, but I don't have any cargo setup for it yet.

Also, May is still blackfly season
Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #840
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
When exactly is all that going to happen? I'd be interested in the Ontario section at least. Not sure if I'd take the bike or truck. I would like to do some trips on my bike, but I don't have any cargo setup for it yet.

Also, May is still blackfly season
USA memorial day weekend May 27-29. Check out this thread...plans just being finalized! Should be a blast.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636024