Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #1096
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,742
Yes I tend to ramble and yes an editor will be taking my words and making better sense out of them

Looks good Anthony

Time to get back on the keyboard for some more writing

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #1097
ChrisP
Knobbed

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Plugging in some of the text to the TCAT template now...

Boy Ted, you write like you talk! Get to the point!
Good stuff though
MMMMmm.. that second last picture brings back fine memories!!
Swim, pig.. swim! Stupid GS.

The teaser looks awesome, can't wait to see more
Morocco 2010
Deadly99's Trans-Canada off-road route extravaganza
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #1098
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
looks good, don't you love those trucks on the TLH?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #1099
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Plugging in some of the text to the TCAT template now...

Boy Ted, you write like you talk! Get to the point!
Good stuff though
this will be FANTASTIC when it's finished.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #1100
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

As we get ready over the coming months to begin putting parts of the book together it seems fitting to ask for your opinions as this entire project has been done around feedback from the community....

We plan to make all of the maps either one or two page spreads. The book will be in an 8*11 size. Our thoughts are that this would make the maps easier to see. Thoughts?

More writing or less? More or less rambling about the history of an area?

Pictures, more or less? Larger or smaller? Pics of scenery or action pics?

Somewhere is a happy medium as we pay per page, too many pages and it becomes too expensive. We're trying to keep the final cost to under forty dollars for a finished book.....thoughts?

Thanks in advance, as always we appreciate your feedback

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #1101
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
Will the maps be removeable? Of a semi water reistant material? Or will I have to transfer the info over?

Id look at the average tankbag map window size, go from there, if they are removable that is.

Will the maps be at the end all together? Or spread through out with the corresponding section?

Yeah, I want this book, and to do the ride!!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #1102
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
As we get ready over the coming months to begin putting parts of the book together it seems fitting to ask for your opinions as this entire project has been done around feedback from the community....

We plan to make all of the maps either one or two page spreads. The book will be in an 8*11 size. Our thoughts are that this would make the maps easier to see. Thoughts?

More writing or less? More or less rambling about the history of an area?

Pictures, more or less? Larger or smaller? Pics of scenery or action pics?

Somewhere is a happy medium as we pay per page, too many pages and it becomes too expensive. We're trying to keep the final cost to under forty dollars for a finished book.....thoughts?

Thanks in advance, as always we appreciate your feedback
This is based on keeping costs down.

8*11 should be fine although my tank bag map area is 7*9. I think that I'd end up photo coping what I need and put the book in a zip lock. In my canoe tripping days I'd have two sets of maps in two locations... Murphy's Law.

I like a little less writing, but still have interesting facts, side trips suggestions, must see information, good food and gas.

Pictures; I would tend to let Anthony put things together. He does an amazing job. (Cop out I know) I do like pics and I think having a taste of what to expect or see in each area would helpful (both action and scenery).

I really like what I see and I WILL get a book when it's available
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #1103
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'd like to see history of the area for sure. Otherwise it can tend to be.... dirt road, dirt road, dirt road.... A written history helps put context to the journey.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #1104
vhugoabreu
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Canada Route

That was a nice ride. Wish I could do the same one day...
vhugoabreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #1105
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Will the maps be removeable? Of a semi water reistant material? Or will I have to transfer the info over?

Id look at the average tankbag map window size, go from there, if they are removable that is.

Will the maps be at the end all together? Or spread through out with the corresponding section?

Yeah, I want this book, and to do the ride!!!
The maps will be a part of the book and spread throughout in the corresponding chapter/section for that gps track. It will be printed on glossy paper (not waterproof).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
This is based on keeping costs down.

8*11 should be fine although my tank bag map area is 7*9. I think that I'd end up photo coping what I need and put the book in a zip lock. In my canoe tripping days I'd have two sets of maps in two locations... Murphy's Law.

I like a little less writing, but still have interesting facts, side trips suggestions, must see information, good food and gas.

Pictures; I would tend to let Anthony put things together. He does an amazing job. (Cop out I know) I do like pics and I think having a taste of what to expect or see in each area would helpful (both action and scenery).

I really like what I see and I WILL get a book when it's available
Thanks for the feedback. Photo copying the maps for a tankbag would be a good idea.

We could provide a waterproof case for the guidebook in the bundle (book, dvd and a waterproof case). It would raise the price by a few bucks....or we could sell the case seperately for those that want one. I use something like this

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...85&bmLocale=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I'd like to see history of the area for sure. Otherwise it can tend to be.... dirt road, dirt road, dirt road.... A written history helps put context to the journey.
Thanks for the feedback Rob, I tend to agree with you. Part of this project was to expose the out of the way parts of Canada. Not everyone will find the writing useful but I was thinking that for a lot of people it will give them a sense of an area they will or have travelled through. Why the town exists, what the population is, when the town came to be and why. Nothing too long but enough to get a sense of things.

Example:
Leaving Lab City you head south past the small town of Fermont (Gas available). The road from Fermont enters the province of Quebec and becomes gravel once again. The road gives a nice view of the massive mining operation. Fermont is a French word meaning iron mountain. The mine was established in the 1970’s and is still currently mining iron out of Mt Wright. The small town and large mine is located approximately 23 kilometres outside of Lab City.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #1106
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 937
Thumb photo copy

i think a photo copying the maps out of the book or even print them off smaller ect... Sure there is a way to make them smaller and to be used on a tank bag etc... I would think that offering the case extra would be good too, just in case people have one. This is looking like a great great great idea that is coming together to a stellar book. Can't thank you guys enough for putting this kind of thing together for guys like me (ride and can't remember where the hell i went). Hope to be able to buy a good old brown Canadian bottle some time or two for the team.
Thanks

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #1107
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
I agree with the bit of history, I think it's obvious to add any good points of current interest so people could decide if they want to stop and check it out further.

The format of the book to allow easy photo copying and page turning, have you considered spiral bound or some such binding that would allow it to lay flat?

Undoubtable this will spend a fair bit of tie on coffee tables so I thing a little more weight on photos is a good thing too.

Layout mockup looks great, I like little sidebars and bubbles that offer extra little tidbits of interest.

Finding a happy medium of scenery and action is tough but necessary, historical photos add a nice touch
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #1108
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

No mention about the book needing pictures of flowers ?

Thanks for the input everyone, some interesting idea's.

What about a DVD with PDF files of the maps?

There will already be one DVD packaged with it, a movie that Stephen (aka Quantis) is working on. It looks promising from what I have seen and from what he describes as his "vision" for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I agree with the bit of history, I think it's obvious to add any good points of current interest so people could decide if they want to stop and check it out further.

The format of the book to allow easy photo copying and page turning, have you considered spiral bound or some such binding that would allow it to lay flat?

Undoubtable this will spend a fair bit of tie on coffee tables so I thing a little more weight on photos is a good thing too.

Layout mockup looks great, I like little sidebars and bubbles that offer extra little tidbits of interest.

Finding a happy medium of scenery and action is tough but necessary, historical photos add a nice touch

Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #1109
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
No mention about the book needing pictures of flowers ?

Thanks for the input everyone, some interesting idea's.

What about a DVD with PDF files of the maps?

There will already be one DVD packaged with it, a movie that Stephen (aka Quantis) is working on. It looks promising from what I have seen and from what he describes as his "vision" for it
I'm sure that you would be able to have all the maps you (we) need with the movie.

I'm of the mind that the maps should still be in the book, but with the PDF users can zoom, print and laminate to whatever size they want -PDF maps would be great!!.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #1110
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
I'm of the mind that the maps should still be in the book, but with the PDF users can zoom, print and laminate to whatever size they want -PDF maps would be great!!.
I think we're stuck with the 8.5x11 size, as Ted will be sending them to a print-on-demand service (best solution for short-run stuff like this)

Including the PDFs on DVD is perfect as you can print 'em at home or anywhere you like at any size you like

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote