Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1156
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I've tried all the local places I could think of. Getting a rod fabricated is an option but it'll chew up time next week and I still need someone to install the seals as I don't have the tool. Dealership wouldn't touch a solution like that and I'm already obliged (payed) for the labor from them so taking the forks away unfinished is an option but will end up costing more. In the end I may go this route IF I can find someone today who is willing to fabricate the rod and install it Monday. Not very likely given it's the weekend and most mechanics aren't working. Dealership won't put the fork back together without a rod in in for legality reasons, so even if I decide to go this route I'll have to pick up the pieces and find someone else who is willing to install the new seals and put the fork together "incomplete".

I haven't given up....even looked at buying a second bike today....I am planning to build a dr650 into a dr780rally this upcoming winter. Anyone have a dr650 bike in decent shape within a 400 km radius of Ottawa they want to sell? There was a sweet one in the regional section with a safari tank but the post is gone....

Try theses guys. Kyle is set up pretty good. He maybe at the track today in Shanonville. Its worth a try.
http://www.windmillmotorsports.com/

Dave

P.s.
His off carp.rd. in stittsville.
Dave
dvd_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #1157
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_scott View Post
Try theses guys. Kyle is set up pretty good. He maybe at the track today in Shanonville. Its worth a try.
http://www.windmillmotorsports.com/

Dave

P.s.
His off carp.rd. in stittsville.
Dave

I've already left him a message

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #1158
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
I've already left him a message
Good luck
Dave
dvd_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #1159
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehic...AdIdZ282105467

http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehic...AdIdZ280711629
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #1160
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Hey Fab....I am trying like heck to get the forks back together so I can iron butt to Baie Comeaux on Friday night/Saturday to still make our meet up. I'll know Monday if the parts are backordered or not. If they aren't I should be good to go as I'll jump out of the truck and onto the bike and hit the road Friday.
Maybe I just scared you with all that talking about the snow left on the ground and running on dual sport tires after all

On the other hand, it would be cool to ride with a support truck and feel like a race team

Let me know how this turns out. The pig is fat and ready! Just put a Two Bros pipe on it plus a little messing with my twin max and the fatso is now doing wheelies in 2nd gear. I'm amazed! Never thought this was possible on a 17 year old GS lol.

Good luck with your orange.
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #1161
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I am planning to build a dr650 into a dr780rally this upcoming winter
I want to build a DR780 too, but I'd leave it essentially looking stock. Just do the 780 and completely redo the suspension, then strip it down for weight and add a bunch of small but not-too-cheap farkles...

Now that I'm nearly done this little project...

...I'm looking for the next bike project.

Good luck, Ted. Nothing sucks quite like having a bike crap out on you just before a major trip, except maybe having it crap out on you in the middle of nowhere after you've just left on a major trip!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #1162
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Choices have been made. Going to make the best of a bad situation. After trying every available option I have admitted defeat, my bike will not be ready for this weeks trip . The goal is to get it ready for the upcoming Roaming Rally . Parts are no longer available so a fabricator is needed.

The weather looks brutal in eastern Canada this week so Pelvis and myself are heading north west. Forecast shows sunny days . Pelvis will be on his 800gs and packing as if the support truck wasn't there. I'll be driving my tricked out Ford Ranger, it's been done up as a gravel machine. It was designed to be able to bring my wife on some adventures but she is busy with work and my other buddies who don't ride can't get out of work so I'll be solo in the truck. Picked up a few book tapes to keep me company.

We plan to slab to where I last left he TCAT in Ontario, the Nippissing Ghost Rd and head north following the proposed route. The Portelance Rd through Shining Tree, north from Timmins on logging roads up to Abitibi Canyon then circle west down to Kapaskasing. Time permitting maybe keep heading west and follow the TCAT to the town of Marathon via Manitouwadge which I hear is quite the tourist destination

It's been some years since I've packed a truck for a trip like this. Did you know that they sell coolers at the hardware store that plug into a cir lighter in your truck! They hold 20 beers :wink so even though it's a bit taboo on this site and not a choice I am happy with the next rr for TCAT will be from behind the wheel. The eastern trip has been bumped until summer which in the end may be a good thing. They are calling for 40mm of rain tonight and we'd be stuck in that storm for quite a few days.

Lots of last minute things to do, here's hoping for sunny days and dusty roads.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #1163
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

One more thing, from here on in Pelvis will be referred to as Ewan

Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #1164
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

You saying suspension parts for a 2004 KTM are no longer available

Obvoiusly KTM thinks they meant to be disposeable rides. Bad attitude.

You can go into a BMW dealer and order parts for bikes from the 50's

Maybe I will dump the SE and buy an X-Challenge or a KLR
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #1165
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Well that's a skewed look at it. The forks aren't "ktm" they are works performance forks. The piece that broke is not a piece that breaks as it's just a small aluminum rod that pushes a small spring that is enclosed within the tube. Why mine is broken is beyond me, for all I know it could have been broken for years ? A lot of Beemer folks upgrade to WP suspension

So why don't they sell this part? Suppose because no one other than me needs one . Could I buy a new cartridge? Yep but I couldn't afford that and this trip to keep exploring the route. As I mentioned some tough decisions were made. Long winter of being cooped up in a cubicle and I am in need of some R and R

You don't buy a ktm to have a no maintenance bike. You buy one to have a wild high performance bitch to ride

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #1166
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 391
TCAT Recon

Deadly99
Sorry to hear about the lack of timely repairs for the bike but glad your able to come up with a viable alternative.
Best of luck on the trip and thanks for all the work you guys are doing on this project. Hope to take avantage of it some day.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #1167
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Well that's a skewed look at it. The forks aren't "ktm" they are works performance forks. The piece that broke is not a piece that breaks as it's just a small aluminum rod that pushes a small spring that is enclosed within the tube. Why mine is broken is beyond me, for all I know it could have been broken for years ? A lot of Beemer folks upgrade to WP suspension

So why don't they sell this part? Suppose because no one other than me needs one . Could I buy a new cartridge? Yep but I couldn't afford that and this trip to keep exploring the route. As I mentioned some tough decisions were made. Long winter of being cooped up in a cubicle and I am in need of some R and R

You don't buy a ktm to have a no maintenance bike. You buy one to have a wild high performance bitch to ride
I might have an idea of how something that never breaks happens to be broken ... maybe pounding over huge rocks might have a bit to do with it

You'd have to buy the whole fork internals to get the piece??

Hey, I'm having my share of learning about high maintenance bitches. Remember my theory of what KTM stands for ..... Kan't Travel Much

That's all fine in a Motocross bike that doesn't go far and get serviced regularly but for LD riding in remote places it kind of sucks.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #1168
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

I don't play the brand game. All bikes are good, each suits a personality type. Me......I'm just a ktm guy. I enjoy having a bitch under me ;). Some like a mellow and passive one under them that is there every day and like clockwork they never fail. I like mine fast, dirty and bucking

Seriously though I think any bike that has led the life mine has for the last 7 years is going to have to need some tlc. The previous owner was not gentle with it and I've done my fair share of abuse. I did do a lot of preventative maintenance to it in preparation for this trip so it is disappointing that I ended up hear. First time I've ever brought a motor cycle to a dealership and here I am.....I'm not superstitious or anything I'm just saying. Do I think they broke it while disassembleling the fork? . Can I do anything about it now or prove that? Nope. Life goes on. A fellow I've never met in Toronto offered me the use of his bike, folks as far away as Texas and Cali tried to find a quick work around, many suggestions to help from inmates. Shows how cool this community is

Driving the truck is a bummer but as a consolation prize it ain't that bad

You could lend me that under used, shiny and sadly still new SE in your garage Dan and I'll bring it back broken in

Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #1169
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
I don't play the brand game. All bikes are good, each suits a personality type. Me......I'm just a ktm guy. I enjoy having a bitch under me ;). Some like a mellow and passive one under them that is there every day and like clockwork they never fail. I like mine fast, dirty and bucking

Seriously though I think any bike that has led the life mine has for the last 7 years is going to have to need some tlc. The previous owner was not gentle with it and I've done my fair share of abuse. I did do a lot of preventative maintenance to it in preparation for this trip so it is disappointing that I ended up hear. First time I've ever brought a motor cycle to a dealership and here I am.....I'm not superstitious or anything I'm just saying. Do I think they broke it while disassembleling the fork? . Can I do anything about it now or prove that? Nope. Life goes on. A fellow I've never met in Toronto offered me the use of his bike, folks as far away as Texas and Cali tried to find a quick work around, many suggestions to help from inmates. Shows how cool this community is

Driving the truck is a bummer but as a consolation prize it ain't that bad

You could lend me that under used, shiny and sadly still new SE in your garage Dan and I'll bring it back broken in

Glad to hear you think that way. I'm pretty sure after the beer and tequila start flowing theres going to be more than one comment on KTM made.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #1170
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Glad to hear you think that way. I'm pretty sure after the beer and tequila start flowing theres going to be more than one comment on KTM made.
Ewan! I was wondering when you'd chip in a comment, and yes I'm sure you'll have something nice to say