save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #1247
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
On Thursday there are about 60-70 people headed towards Richmond Ontario to pre ride a couple of days of the TCAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #1248
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Wow, great looking road to twist the wrist on
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #1249
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #1250
snobear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I photoed these fellows near the proposed TCAT route last weekend. They are the most entertaining critters in the woods.

Chillin after a big meal

The young lads, these guys are the size of a loaf of bread

This was momma keeping track of the kids

snobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #1251
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

VERY nice photos

Can I assume you have a good zoom lens?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #1252
Trialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:

On Thursday there are about 60-70 people headed towards Richmond Ontario to pre ride a couple of days of the TCAT.

>
Do you have any additional details on that ride ? Sounds interesting. I checked the ODSC site in case it was mentioned there, but didn't spot any mention of it.
Trialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #1253
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialsguy View Post
Do you have any additional details on that ride ? Sounds interesting. I checked the ODSC site in case it was mentioned there, but didn't spot any mention of it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636024

Old 05-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #1254
snobear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
The photos of the sow on the ground were taken with a Canon S21S, not sure what the zoom is but I was about 7 or 8 yds out, would not have been as close if I would have know she had the cubs but I did not see them till after.
The other photos were taken from my tree stand at about 15 yds.
snobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #1255
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I'd like to say a little bit about our companion Nuvi. A five year old gps unit that really added something to the trip. We came prepared, the route had been researched extensively, locals had given input, etc. Paper maps were on hand as well as two 60 series Garmin units. Maps loaded like topo and Garmin streets, etc. BUT Nuvi knew about "roads" that no one else did and really had an impact on our trip. If anyone wants a real adventure, try driving in North Eastern Ontario and use a Nuvi. We were amazed at the adventures it created. Now I've seen some pretty questionable trails be called roads on maps and gps units but this trip Nuvi took the cake. When your lost hundreds of kilometers in the bush in the middle of a vast widlerness and no map or gps unit can find a way out...Nuvi can...or at least he thinks he can

You see Nuvi took on a persona of an actual person. "What does Nuvi say", "Nuvi screwed us again", "what the hell is Nuvi's problem". After many of these comments we came to think of "him" as a person. Someone you want to trust but keeps screwing ya over. Nuvi is one twisted son of a %$#@!
Interesting that you mention this. I got in a big argument at Expo about this very thing. My Nuvi can't even get me from my little rural town just 10 minutes south of the 401 to another rural town just 10 minutes north of the 401 without screwing up. Last time I tried, I was late for my son's first Scout meeting, I kinda knew the way, but I was late, figured I'd just let the Nuvi do the navigation. I knew there was highway all the way there, but it sent me down a dirt. I figured, maybe it knows a shortcut, and we're late, so what the heck. After about 10 minutes of some (pretty awesome) dirt roads, it tells me to right into a farmer's field. I'm in my little car. I don't think so. Ok, now we're lost. Not even sure if there is a road between where we are and where we're going anymore. I just want to zoom out on the map to see. No dice. When you zoom out enough to get an overhead view of the map, all the little roads disappear and you only see the 401, the highway we should have taken, and us in the middle of a green space.

What a useless POS. It's my wife's, it's fine in town. I love my 76Cx.

It's just a matter of time before somebody gets killed by following these directions. Oh yeah, people have.

Great report. I know the frustration you speak of trying to find routes, and being turned back near the end. Yeah, how come nothing was posted at the start of the trail? I think you've read my reports from the EOTA. 20km of trail ends in a gated farmer's field.

A big part of the issue is property rights are a mess. The government is allowing, basically squater's rights in a lot of cases. That road was probably there for 100 years. It is on public land, but fell into disuse when the highway went in. Then the ATV comes in, stakes a claim, and builds a bridge. I almost guarantee you there used to be a full size bridge there that they took out.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #1256
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Guess a Nuvi is off my list ... unless I've got nothing to do but ride dead ends.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #1257
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Laugh Nuvi

well i don't have a GPS but have had the pleasure of using one from time to time in a cage. I do know that you can have it only take back roads if you do not want to slab it. My parents have one and i even told them to turn left out of the drive, but no no the GPS said to go Right. So they went right got lost almost stuck in a foot of snow and turned back and went past my place 45min later. (good thing he got gas the night before). Anyway they had it set to back roads and no major highways, had to go on Hwy 11. I can keep going on with this because it kept taking them everywhere but where they wanted to go. So check the settings maybe you changed them, or set up that way etc...
They have a Garmin something a rather.
Just so not to hijack the thread good to hear the bike is back on the road again, or off road Deadly.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #1258
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

keep in mind I had the Nuvi set to avoid nothing (dirt, offroad, freeways, etc) and to use fastest route. Try it, it's fun

Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #1259
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

So will it show a dead end where the track you follow just stops on the map or does it show something that's not there?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #1260
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
So will it show a dead end where the track you follow just stops on the map or does it show something that's not there?
I think what it's showing is a legal road allowance, with no consideration of the physical condition of the road. Mine routes me on this "road" on the way to our cottage.

Actually, even Google Maps does it.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote