Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #1261
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Oh Ted, and what's the deal with Seguin Trail not allowing trucks? What did the signs look like? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing from people who own cottages or hunt cabins off that trail and said those signs are bullshit. They've been driving on that road for longer than it has had a name.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #1262
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Oh Ted, and what's the deal with Seguin Trail not allowing trucks? What did the signs look like? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing from people who own cottages or hunt cabins off that trail and said those signs are bullshit. They've been driving on that road for longer than it has had a name.
I'm sure they do BUT the tcat won't utilize any road or trail that's not 100% legal. This isn't the only section we've run across issues. Take for example the Haliburton Rail Trail, its legal for atv's but not bikes.

I'll send ya a picture of the signs, they are official.

Just another of the challenges in this project I suppose. We're trying to promote the sport not give it a bad name

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #1263
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I'm sure they do BUT the tcat won't utilize any road or trail that's not 100% legal. This isn't the only section we've run across issues. Take for example the Haliburton Rail Trail, its legal for atv's but not bikes.

I'll send ya a picture of the signs, they are official.

Just another of the challenges in this project I suppose. We're trying to promote the sport not give it a bad name
Fair enough, was mostly wondering for myself, wasn't trying to reroute it. I have much respect for signs that aren't put up by the actual land owner, the OPP or the government.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #1264
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
you have to be plated by law to run the T'Railway if I recall correctly for bikes
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #1265
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
So will it show a dead end where the track you follow just stops on the map or does it show something that's not there?
That "was there" would best describe it. Best to trust ground intel, just what the authors are doing here.

State DOT maps in the US are the last word other than a ride through. Sometimes that is even argumentative.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #1266
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Some snow has melted..

We ran a main section through one of the lower passes {1500'} yesterday and made it through... Still lots of snow in the woods alongside the road but on the road itself only a few patches to negotiate... I'm hoping to make it through the higher passes in a week or 2...

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #1267
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,067
Beautiful!!

I was born in Trail and still have the mountains in my blood.... one of these days ....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #1268
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 961
Wink Seguin trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Just to weigh in on the Seguin trail or the Park to Park trail (proper name) only because i am on the board. Yes cars can go down it for people who own camps on it (right of way) But it is a pay as you go trail, season pass or day. So there is no reason you cant ride it, if you want to pay. There is a few parts that would be a bit tough for a car and might need a 4X4. It is the same kinda law the sleds have in the winter on there trails etc..

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #1269
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 961
Thumb looks sooo sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
We ran a main section through one of the lower passes {1500'} yesterday and made it through... Still lots of snow in the woods alongside the road but on the road itself only a few patches to negotiate... I'm hoping to make it through the higher passes in a week or 2...

love the Pics of out west man wish it was closer, but then Canada would be smaller. Nice to see the little stones on the road just to keep you on your toes or off your bike. What kinda roads are they, logging roads, old trails etc...
One day I hope.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #1270
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
love the Pics of out west man wish it was closer, but then Canada would be smaller. Nice to see the little stones on the road just to keep you on your toes or off your bike. What kinda roads are they, logging roads, old trails etc...
One day I hope.
These are for the most part logging tracks...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #1271
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021
Roaming Rally 2011

A group of us from this site have organized a three day pre ride of the TCAT in Eastern Ontario, its been penned the Roaming Rally. The response to this has been fantastic and it appears as if about 60 bikes are leaving tomorrow to make their way to the Friday morning meet

There are folks from all over the eastern side of the US as well as folks from across Canada coming to attend this event. Bikes are being packed and last minute "holy crap where do I put all of this" is going on.

There is a prep thread going on in the regional section but I have asked folks to post into this thread as I believe that this is certainly a part of the "making of" report that this thread has been covering

This weekend promises some fun times. The weather looks iffy, bikes will be fully loaded, camping is on the agenda, the terrain looks challenging and the folks coming all seem enthusiatic about it

The section of the TCAT we'll be travelling is a navigational challenge. Tons of trails and gravel roads are whats on the plate. There are six optional technical sections and it sounds like a bunch of the folks are keen to give them a go Water crossing will be plentiful and the beers will be flowing around the camp fire

Safe travels to the folks who are heading this way tonight and tomorrow

Let the gong show begin

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #1272
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,370
Roaming Rally Spotwalla Page

Ted asked that I post this here:

If any of you are participating in the Roaming Rally/Memorial Day Rally this weekend, and use Spot tracking units, you can add those and some other location enabled devices as well to the SpotWalla tracking page so we can watch your progress online.

This image represents 6 riders displayed on the current map. Nolan's still down in Boston according to this, but Skibum's a fair bit closer to the starting place.

The SpotWalla page for the event is password protected both for viewing and for adding your device if you are participating, so contact me by PM for details if you wanna check it out.

This is the page: http://www.spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=57

Only 1 more sleep before things really start happening...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #1273
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Thumb Fueled and loaded...

The bike is packed up. Four unlikely lads are leaving Southern New Hampshire at 07:00 tomorrow. We will be in the Ottawa area perhaps around 6 for those beers we were promised. We're really looking forward to this ride. A nice 5 day adventure into the wilds of Canada.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #1274
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Ready to roll first thing in the morning, raingear looks like the order of the day
I can't wait to get back up there again, it's been 30 years since I rode those trails
see you guys Friday
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #1275
garry499
Race for food!

Oddometer: 69
Oh Crap!

Bike is actually ready...Im now gonna have to do this thing. No choice...Crap. Ok...Map. check. Gas, check. 20 bucks. yup! Lets do it!
garry499 is offline   Reply With Quote