Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #1336
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Wow... front page candidate stuff right there! Great shot!
Thanks! I'm glad you like it, it took me 30 minutes to get that shot! No joke. Trying to get a decent picture out of my crappy but waterproof P&S camera, hand holding it with 1/20 exposure times, and that was with ISO set at 800 which explains the graininess.

I was buzzing along and thought man... this is too perfect NOT to stop!
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #1337
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,071
Here is my short take on the events, unfortuatly I lost my trail camera with about 30 trail pics from the days.

So We have Dan, Tony and Jonathan from Virgina, New york come up Thursday to stay the night and ready ourselves.

With having these fellows over.. realized I have what every guy wants: a garage FULL of bikes.

Fri morning.. helluva a wet start!

and "the plan"

and now.. the trail cam has been lost.. no pics from the actual ride, but here's what I did see.

Scotchline rd. Sqd8r got covered head to toe with heavy heavy blobs of mud. Somone losing their pannier, strapping it down.. off he went.

Hooking up with Deadly99 for the Burnt river portion... and taking on the water! Riding down a river stream is as cool as riding up the river stream a little later on.

Now.. more of less after "lunch" (if there was such a thing), we started the hydro-line section. Bumlebee wiped due to the excessive slikness of it all and really blew his shoulder, but he was ok and was able to shake-it-off continue directly to the campground. Dave, too, on the 640 adventure, dumped it and bent-up the shifter. We tried to set it up with a rope to the handle bars and hope he could shift the bike suicide style. But that didnt work. So both of these guys followed Deadly back to the campground.

Now all this happend at a road crossing from the trail when everyone split from us and Tarzan and I collected 2 other riders, Nolan and Rudy. We carried on for a few hours, when Rudy came into a corner too hot and blew over a 4ft culvert hole! He bounced out of it and proceeded to drop it a few ft later, having sprained his hand.

We dusted him off, and he said he was good to ride on. Again, kept moving on for not even an hour... when we came accross the BIG water crossing.

Tarzan went first, having trouble but made it through. I went, having trouble but made it through... then the shit show started! Rudy was next and drowned his bike almost instantly.. that guy needs a snorkle!

Nolan's up.. made it just as another group showed. As we were working on Rudy's bike... the next group starts crossing when out of 7 bikes, 3 drowned out. Now we have 4 bikes down all over.. looked like a massacre.

Now we're workin on 4 bikes, and yet another group rolls in. Two try.. one dumps on its side the other stalls for plugs.. and the rest turn around and RUN.

Within 2hrs ALL bikes were up and runnin. Because we were 2hrs, we finished that trail and headed for the campground which gives us these few more pics.

token Honda shots.

Rudy unknown is now known, check his hand.

Token KTM adventure

Deadly said he went for a swim.. how deep was the water Ted?

Mr.Conneticut, having hollered "You wont take me prisonner" during the water crossing, was one of the few that it really didnt take prisonner.

Rider23 doubles as the blacksmih to help Dave's shifter.

The Ottawa boys with Tony from New York, all relieved after day 1. How's your back at this point Tony?

Nolan comin in at 9:30pm after having gotten lost. Glad he made it. What a bonus to have a chalet to crash in that night with the team mascot.

Bumblebee doing the best for setting the mood, don't quit your day job.

They never did dry "eh" Nolan?

People do the strangest things.....

So all in all a great day 1... Here is a high 5 for it...

Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #1338
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,582

Moments after the engine failure... standing on the side of the road waiting to hitch a ride. Glad to know you made it back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daros View Post
Thanks for the awesome ride, I had a blast!

too bad the liitle XL blew out on me on the way home.
Many thanks to Drif10, Dancingboy, Z50R for the roadside save (and all the others), I was home even earlier than expected...

Next time I'll bring a real bike
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #1339
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post

Moments after the engine failure... standing on the side of the road waiting to hitch a ride. Glad to know you made it back home.
And moments before it blew up

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #1340
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Ohhhh, that was Juames I ran into at the Coburg Gas-station!

I was smiling and nodding like I could hear what you were saying through my helmet and earplugs
Hey Anton! Nice to finally meet you...sorta. Don't worry I had plugs in also, and didn't catch everything you said either! How was EOAR? Looks like you guys stayed alot cleaner than we did.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #1341
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Day 2

Starts with a few issues in the morning.. Tony wakes to a back that hardly lets him walk let alone ride.. he calls his riding done for this day and requests the comforts of the truck and trailer. Or.. did he really want to spend the day with honey.?? LOL

After helping honey load the truck, we headed out.

Here's Freethebeast.. free-ing the beast...

So of course the trail cam is lost.

We went out and headed down arcol rd and hydro line rd, which was a 5 ticket rollercoaster ride! Great road to be on but be careful on the weekend 'cause there's of other traffic. This is where we picked up Boatman on his 950 super enduro.. what a cool bike!

We started down Lingham lake rd. We were warned about a water crossing that was undoable but there was a work-around "behind" the "steel hut" ... when we got there, we recognized it allmost instantly and then went looking "behind" it for the trail... we saw an atv trail that 'seemed' to be going in the right direction... we headed on down.

This is where day 2-shit show starts.

Almost immediately starting down this trail, I went over what I thought was a small hill, only to turn out to be a 45degree slimy, greasy, wet 40ft drop off! and like lemmings.. the other two followed.

So now we made it to the bottom of the drop, all safe, and we decide it might be easier to carry on and hope the trail comes back out. We went for 2km (1mile or so) through the shittiest terrain. Swamp, hill climbs, rocks, downed logs, a slimy log bridge.. just to find at the end of it all, a nice piece of paradise with a tree stand and stream.. but this took us 2hrs to do!

So now we all look at each other, thinking .."we have to go back".. through all that shit again, and what about that hill climb?

Saddle-up and of we go then... I reached the slimy log bridge and thought it was not a good idea because I'm too tired.. so I get off and walk it accross. I nearly killed myself just walking it! Tarzan jumps off and helps me 'get-er-done'.

Tarzan's turn! "Do you need help?" .. "NOPE I got it" he says.. proceeds to jump on, drops it and twists out his knee.

He dusts himself off, climbs back on board and muster-up the energy to kick over his XR650 R, which is no slouch of an engine with no electric start!

We catch-up to Boatman to find him at the bottom of the hill climb (by now were calling him bogman). We get off to rest a bit, plan on how we are going to get that 950se up the hill, slimy wet rocky, with a turn 45degree pitch hill.

So like the euro enduros, where everyone is lined up the hill to catch the bikes, here we go. 950 is up, 2 failed start as sticks on the ground being so slick, they kept his front end going somewhere else. Now understand the runway to the hill was ah....5ft... so we stuff the 950 into the bush just to get the most momentum we could... ok 9.5 ft go.... up he goes, half way tarzan and I grab him, slowly let the bike down, get her up, saddle up and go...he finishes it and the cheers were in the air.... If he could do it I could...

I line up, took off, I really thought I planed my line really well, it didn't come close, but in the same two attemps as boatman...I did too....

Tarzan... well he had to show us how it was done in one shot.. cool riding buddy!Like he wasn't shown the way by us....

Its 4pm, the bikes have been running for about 5-6 hrs now with stock tanks on boatman and myself, gps says gas is closer to where we were. Back through all the water crossings, to hwy41 cloyne. get gas and agree to take the hwy back as it was going to be 1.5hrs to camp.

We get moving, still sweating from our tour down the atv trail...we froze are asses off.... god was on our side, not getting busted for speeding, tarzan not hitting the deer crossing the road.

Back at the camp...... beer time,

We're in, everyone is safe.. gear is drying.. beer and delivered pizza ( thanks to Drif10 and his son) begins to flow.

Being a 'Good-ol-Canuck'.. I don't get the bug-net thing..

What a great party it turns out to be.. some went to bed before these pics, but here are some group shots.

thanks so much for all the adventure, great times, great people.. let's finish this day 2 up aith the group shot...

Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #1342
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Day 3, loaded for home. Tarzan and I were not up to riding rain again. Besides, want to spend some time with honey and let her nap on the way, after all... she deserved a quick wink.

Rudy gets some new pinstriping on his bike at the breakfast stop.

I have absolutely, positively have NO idea who did this to your bike Rudy!!!

Again... THANKS ALL for this ride, adventre. Let's do this again!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #1343
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,025
Having talked to many of the riders, and having been on a few rides like this before, I have a small suggestion for if you do something like this again:

Everybody chips in ten bucks. Rent a cube van with a hitch. One of the guys will have a 3 rail trailer available. Get whatever friend/spouse/guy who broke his arm two weeks before the ride to drive it. All the gear goes in the cube, trailer for the rescues. Low cost, and will not only make life so much easier on the trails, it will crank up the fun factor to 11.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #1344
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I guess that's one idea. I guess the question is, is this an Adventure Ride, or a Trail Ride? You could accomplish the same thing by just holding the event based on a single campground, which you could easily do in Ontario.

There's the Algonquin 2-day trail ride coming up in a few weeks and that's what they're doing. But this was supposed to be a test of the TCAT, not just another trail ride. If the trails were not doable with a load, it wouldn't be a test of the route.

I kinda liked the challenge of bringing all my gear, learning that I could really carry everything I needed on my bike. I think I was successful. I brought everything I needed, and almost nothing I didn't. I think the only thing I didn't use was some of my tools, my spare tube, 1 pair of underwear and socks, and my bug shirt, a bar of soap and a bit of food.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #1345
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Gear...

Speaking of gear...i have to say that the best piece of new gear I had on this trip was the Gore-Tex socks my wife bought me for the ride...my feet were warm and dry all weekend!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #1346
tarzan30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Jimmy!! nice socks but i guessed they stayed dry because you didn't attempt that water hole. I was yelling as you turned away "come on you wuss... we do this every weekend now your not going to try!!!" I dont know if the socks got the real test!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Speaking of gear...i have to say that the best piece of new gear I had on this trip was the Gore-Tex socks my wife bought me for the ride...my feet were warm and dry all weekend!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #1347
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan30 View Post
Jimmy!! nice socks but i guessed they stayed dry because you didn't attempt that water hole. I was yelling as you turned away "come on you wuss... we do this every weekend now your not going to try!!!" I dont know if the socks got the real test!!
I'm with Corey on this one Jimmy, the socks are unproven

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #1348
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I'm with Core on this one Jimmy, the socks are unproven
Hey come on guys! Made thru Bruntlands with out a drop touching my foot! In fact I had the same socks on when I got home on Sunday that I left with on Friday morning!...and come to think of it, Ted didn't do that water cross either!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #1349
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:

There a picture of it.....somewhere in the bush
Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #1350
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,995
Pictures

My pictures are up on SmugMug.

My videos have finally been imported. I'll try to put together something out of it tomorrow. It's bedtime now.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote