ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
dirty dabbers

this is a little too far for me , how about any of the dirty dabber club members out their ??
when you get a litttle more east i will help
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #32
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,878
You guys from Jersey should hang around here of a while. If I can't find time to ride the Hancock connector this summer or early Fall I will let you guys ride that days trail as well.

Will
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #33
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggus
We need a volunteer to run the Day 4 route. I've got to tear the Tiger down so I can't do it. The "Hero" section is coming up out of Poe Paddy State Park, and it's not too bad but a little tricky on the big bikes. When you can get in close on the map dirt roads are brown, paved are blue, optional sections are violet and hero sections are red. How about madmaximum or rockinrog run this for us?
What are you looking for exactly? Do you want someone to ride the entire day to see how the timing works etc .... or people to test ride sections...I haven't been on the road out of Poe Paddy this year.... I've always ridden down it after visiting Penns View. Does madmaxium get his bike dirty?

On a side note, I was on the Tram road by Black Mosh. state park Sunday. Madmax tells me you have a particular affection for this road?
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #34
Johnny X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
You guys from Jersey should hang around here of a while. If I can't find time to ride the Hancock connector this summer or early Fall I will let you guys ride that days trail as well.

Will
Hey Will, no problem. I'm subscribed to the thread and if you need anyone to ride anything within a few hours ride of NJ I'm up for it!

-Jack
Johnny X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #35
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
If it's not ridden by then, I can. I don't know what "hero" means for this ride, but I'm willing to do them. If you think it'll be done by then, lemme know please. I might just see if J. Splash is up for a day'o fun.
It will probably be ridden by then, but that shouldn't stop you from riding it, should it?

If you're riding a WR250, the hero section won't be heroic, it'll be a breeze. The hero section is still two track, just very rocky with rock slabs on the way up, then sandy along the top. I did it on a Tiger, it's just not well groomed like the rest of the ride. It doesn't get you anywhere except to Penn's View, which you can reach much more civilly from the west. It's just for fun.

Wiggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #36
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
What are you looking for exactly? Do you want someone to ride the entire day to see how the timing works etc .... or people to test ride sections...
Timing. I know all the roads are good, we just don't know how long it'll take to go from Black Mo to Greenwood. If you skip the Bald Eagle loop it'll be a breeze, but we'd like to know how long the whole 145 mile trip takes. I made the Bald Eagle loop a separate option so people can scale their riding day. Add the Tram Rd Loop at the south end of Rothrock (skipping Brady Rd) to add even a little more length to it.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #37
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
That's good to know, if I come I might still bring the little one, it's such a blast to ride.

I'll stay tuned.

Rockinrog asked the question on what the you're looking for--usually it's to proof the route by classifying it (sometimes color code routes based on type of bike it supports--or skill level), identifying road closures, scouting a work around for the problem--ferreting out an alternate route and keeping it legal.

A recon with feedback and solutions to the author.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #38
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Good point MoBill; if anyone is testing a section try to be analytical. Keep track of timing, where the dirt and paved sections are, condition of the dirt sections and difficulty. If there are nasty sections we'll bypass them and turn them into optional sections. We're not looking to force anyone through muddy stretches that might cost you $800 getting oil cleaned out of your Tiger's exhaust system. Guess how I know?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #39
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

That's funny right there.

I didn't notice that you'd already answered him. I shut up now.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #40
TowPro OP
Getting there

Next steps:

Day 3:
On Day 3 I started at the Quiet Oaks Campground in Crossfork PA. I test rode the route from Crossfork to Empiruim before we got rained out. It was probably more then 75% stone/dirt roads, all passable on our big bikes. It was perfect.
I think this was 50-60 miles. Google maps shows I had around 85 miles left to Moshannon.

We need someone that knows the area between Emporium and Moshannon to look the rest of the day 3 route.
I had read the Caledonia Pike was the longest unimproved road in PA, so basically I followed it from one end to the other, then over to Monhannon. Did I pick the best route?
Here is the map on google.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d87b943398609c

Day 5:
We need someone to route from Greenwood Furnace to somewhere near Michaux.
It looks like it is 100 miles by highway from Greenwood to Michaux.
Not sure if there is any Dirt/Stone if they come down through Tuscorora Forest. I try to stick 6-7 hours riding time. AT 25mph (stone roads) this gives you 150 miles. If you have 100 miles of road to cross the valley over to Michaux this 150 mile number can go up since your probably doing 45mph on the street.
I hear Michaux is loaded with legal stone/dirt roads, so if you find camping near Michaux you can put in all the stone/dirt roads you want at the finish.
If riders decide they had enough, they can always bail and go straight to the campground.
Who ever makes this section can pick the campground (I now some people don't like to camp but it is easier to find hotels then campgrounds).
As long as you route to the Michaux area we can connect to the TWVT.

Volunteers?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #41
TowPro OP
Getting there

I guess we wore this topic out? Or has everybody is out riding?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #42
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
I guess we wore this topic out? Or has everybody is out riding?
Sorta...for work only.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #43
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

I ordered my chain, sprockets, and tire. If I do the work myself I should be up-and-running in...I dunno, six to eight weeks.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #44
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,453
Hey Wiggus, what section do you want me to ride? Point me to the gpx file and I'll try to get it done this weekend. And when do you want to get this chain tool?
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #45
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaximum
Hey Wiggus, what section do you want me to ride? Point me to the gpx file and I'll try to get it done this weekend. And when do you want to get this chain tool?
I ordered my own chain tool, thanks; figured it's good to have one.
I mailed you the .gpx file on Wed. I'll resend it.

Do as much as you can, ignoring the road out of Poe Paddy to Penn's View (that's just for interested riders) and the Tram Road Loop in southern Rothrock.