ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #91
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Oddometer: 363
Also south of New Gemantown, near Big Spring State Park, Hemlock Rd intersects 274. Hemlock looks really interesting. As it heads south ward it stops on Google Maps, but I'd bet money it goes through to what is also labeled Hemlock Rd. Then you could go back north along the ridge toward Fowlers Hollow State Park. Anyone down that way know more about this area?

Wiggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #92
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Day 3 Recon...

I was going to try and ride the Day 3 route yesterday or some other day this week, but my bike is still in the shop (stalling issues ) and they're not sure when/if it's going to be done this week. What a bummer....
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #93
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
Ok its telling me my message is too short. I am guessing because I didnt type here at the beginning. I should add that I was trying to avoid pavement, BUT if you like paved twisties the sections of 850 I was on were nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggus
Nice Rog! I was putting together a tentative Day 5 map, just winging it by looking at Google maps, and you hit much of what I was guessing at. I have a few questions for you.

I missed State Game Lands 215; I just mapped 850 over to Little Valley. Is Turkey Hill road dirt? Turkey Hill is dirt and East Rutherford is mostly dirt.

When heading south on Little Valley: Looks like you can either go left or right on Kansas Valley or Loop Rd and get to the same place. Have you been both ways? Loop Rd looks interesting the way it runs along the rim of the valley. I am not sure about Loop, but I Little Knob is a bit more of narrow, but still well maintained ,gravel that brings you back onto Kansas Valley.

You mentioned Horse Valley being paved. I had mapped a loop down Horse Valley, then back north on Concord Rd which runs right along a small ridge to Germantown Rd, where you went over. Have you ever been on Concord?
I believe the sign said that Concord was a dead end. I assume it was gated.

Here's the start of my Day 5 map over to Michaux. It's only 114 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...86e3bc9d7600a8
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #94
racer43
a.k.a. Shooter

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggus
.....When heading south on Little Valley: Looks like you can either go left or right on Kansas Valley or Loop Rd and get to the same place. Have you been both ways? Loop Rd looks interesting the way it runs along the rim of the valley.

You mentioned Horse Valley being paved. I had mapped a loop down Horse Valley, then back north on Concord Rd which runs right along a small ridge to Germantown Rd, where you went over. Have you ever been on Concord?....
Loop road is nice, but it is usually gated, (except for certian times of the year for hunting), and out of the two other choices, (Kansas Valley and Little Knob), I think that Kansas is the better ride of the two.

IMHO, you will have a better ride if you were to stay on Kansas Valley, to a left on New Germantown road, and skip Horse Valley and Concord roads. I don't think that you can legally get from Horse valley onto Concord, without going over some ones property, but I may be wrong. I think that Concord has been blocked off before it connects onto Horse Valley.

Hemlock is a nice loop off of 274, over to Fowlers Hollow. If you decide to go that way, be sure to check out the Bryner road loop, (right turn off of 274, then a right turn back onto 274), on your way to Hemlock.

I'm pretty familiar with both Tuscarora and Michaux, so let me know if I can be of any assistance.
racer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #95
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer43
I'm pretty familiar with both Tuscarora and Michaux, so let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Thanks for the suggestions Racer43; great info. I made changes to my Day 5 map to reflect your and RockinRog's input.

You sure can help. I don't think anyone on the thread has much knowledge of Michaux. It's pretty much wide open. We could use suggestions for the best place to camp near Michaux, and how to get there. Also the route across the valley to Michaux is a mystery. If you've got favorite roads through there let us know. I think Towpro's suggestion was to get to Michaux to set up camp, then if there was more time to explore the roads around the area so be it.

Rog rode down to New Germantown. If you want to you can pick up the route there. I left the map blank between Fowler's Hollow and the Turnpike. There seems to be a lot of options to ride in that area. Have fun with it. I have the exit from the forest at 3 Square Hollow Road, but nothing is set in stone. If you have a better route, try it.

DAY 5 MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...42984&t=p&z=11

Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #96
racer43
a.k.a. Shooter

Oddometer: 525
Route from Hemlock rd to Michaux.....

Here is a decent route to Michaux from Tuscarora. This gives you a good slice of Tuscarora, before hitting some nice asphalt down to Michaux. The last section of road, (Horse killer road), before hitting the gravel in Michaux, is very interesting.

There is camping available right around the Pine Grove furnace area on route 233 in Michaux, although I have no experience with it. There is also camping available further south, right before 233 crosses over route 30.

There are so many routes available through all of these fine State forests, that it's hard to decide what route to take. Point A to B in the most direct fashion, (if that is the goal, then Tuscarora and some of the routing into it should be revised), or should the route wonder over as many good roads as possible? I suspect that the the real goal is to find a happy medium somewhere between those two extremes.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...,1.229095&z=10
racer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #97
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguy55
Is there any info on the area east of the Susquehanna?
I know nothing of that area.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #98
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer43
Here is a decent route to Michaux from Tuscarora.
Thanks Racer, I updated my map to show your changes. I've read about Ridge Rd in Michaux; I'm glad you included it. Right now Day 5 is just about 130 miles. We could perhaps stretch it a bit by adding a little loop coming over the ridge from McVeytown; that adds another 7 or 8 miles. The real proof will be in the riding.

DAY 5 MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...21492&t=p&z=12

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #99
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for the reply

The reason I was asking was if there's going to be a real Trans PA trail, it would be helpful to have various routes from different portions of the state. Right now, most of those coming from SE PA just ride up the highways. Try driving up I81 Friday afternoon, and you'll see the weekend crowd heading for exit 116. I'm considering looking for a way from Allentown/Reading up towards the areas you have already mapped.
I'm fairly familiar with the Seven Mountains Ramble and the Shade Mountain areas, and frequently ride over in Bald Eagle State Forest between PA 45 and PA192. I am also familiar with the areas west of Wellsboro.
I think it would be quite popular to add means to get to these from the areas I stated above, mostly if not all dirt.
Yamaguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #100
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguy55
if there's going to be a real Trans PA trail, it would be helpful to have various routes from different portions of the state. I think it would be quite popular to add means to get to these from the areas I stated above, mostly if not all dirt.
You're absolutely right; right now it's more of a PA Loop. It would be great to have spurs coming in from many directions. Right now it starts in the east because, well...that's where Towpro started it. And ending it in Michaux is an attempt to connect to the Trans WV Trail. I'd like to get a spur coming in from the Allegheny National Forest too. and nothing has been done in the west yet (though I have no idea if there are many dirt roads in that direction.) By all means, start exploring.

There is a link to the GPS files in the first post of this thread.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #101
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Preliminary map

Knowing the area very well, I've started on this.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...05807&t=p&z=12
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #102
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Yamaguy. I started in PA just out of Frenchtown NJ because that is where Rob has the NJ trail crossing into to PA.
Then I added a route from Hancock NY into my current loop. The hancock route starts around the same area the NJ route does. This allows riders to skip NJ if they want. (MoBilll is working on this route).

I also laid out the loop the way I did because there was places I absolutely
wanted the route to stop at for the night (Crossfork PA). I intend on adding another days (optional) loop out of Quiet Oaks Campground in crossfork PA.

I have nothing against adding loops or alternate routes.
when we rode what we did so far, we found that covering more then 150 miles in PA (mixed back roads and stone roads) is a long ride. The Trans PA trail we have created uses very little highway. 150 miles was taking around 6-7 hours of actual riding. Add time for stops and lunch and you got a long day.

All I have ever requested is the following:
I want to be able to ride larger bikes down it (F800GS, Vstrom, Ulysses, KLR, etc)
It has to be legal. I don't want to worry about getting arrested when I ride down it. Everything we have so far is roads open to licensed vehicles with no gates.

On the first page of this post is a link to the GPX files we have built so far.

Something we do need to keep in mind is the Trans PA trail is just part of the Trans Eastern Trail (TET), which now looks like it goes from Fla to Canada. PA could easily turn into a loop that takes 2 week ride. While that would be nice for those of us that live here, riders who are trying to ride the TET might be overwhelmed with all the miles in PA (or not have enough vacation), and have to cut sections out of PA. We can still make this loop go all the way around PA, but for starters we need to finish the 5 day "main" route.

I looked at some of the towns you named. If you can, check out The Day 1 part of the route (see first post in this thread for download files). We started in upper bucks county and ended at a great campground in Montgomery PA. (Riverside campground and lounge, 12 beers on tap :) )
See if this route goes near where your talking about. That day could use some improvement (more stone roads). the problem with that part of PA is getting around Scranton / Wilkes-Barre as you try to connect to either Hancock NY of Frenchtown NJ.

When I started the route all I had to work with is a Pendot map of "non paved roads". Problem is the data turned out to be old. Some of the roads we rode in day 1 showed on my map as stone/dirt, but they had been paved several years ago.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #103
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,522
This is "Alt Day 1" that you want me to ride, right TP?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #104
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Towpro: look at the map on the link I made on previous post. I am trying to not only accomplish your goals, but add things to make the ride interesting. I try and get at least one good meal on my ride days, and have shown places where that is very easy. All of the forest roads over off of PA45 can be ridden by any size bike, including my FZ, although I wouldn't since I have something more suitable. I want to see if the rail grade over by PA339 is possible, hopefully tomorrow, assuming I'm not working.
My wife has a gps for her car, I don't use one on my bike, (it is on the list, but there are other things before it on that list) so I can't use the info on the link. Sorry.
Before we moved up here several years ago, it had been years since I had access to off road areas to ride, so I just had the road bike. Which is why I have the detailed riding info from the area where my map starts, as I lived in that area. I can route you almost anywhere south or east from that point, as I rode all over Bucks, Chester, Lancaster, Berks, Montgomery and Lehigh counties, and avoided most major roads.
I also drive quite a bit for my job, and like to find alternate routes, so I have a very deep knowledge of most paved roads in Eastern PA. I'm working on the unpaved ones.
Now I have the WRR as well, and have been exploring the area in a radius that is short enough to still be fun on the way home. All day in the saddle can be tough, especially for old goats such as myself. I keep my rides short enough so if I end up with the infamous fuel pump malady that some WRRs have, I'm not in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage. So far, so good.
I have added points of interest to my map, and added motorcycle shops, food and gas stops as well. When you get a chance, look at it and let me know what you think, I can tailor it anyway you like, or leave it as a suggested areas of interest, only loosely affiliated with your route.

If you have a non-gps file version of your day one map, I'd like to have a copy.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #105
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
This is "Alt Day 1" that you want me to ride, right TP?
yes. If you want to :). I have no idea what to expect. My Penn Dot data showed lots of stone roads, so I routed down all of them. It's either going to be a great ride, or a lot of paved back roads that used to be stone roads.