ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #1951
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
I am making a ride Sunday to Deliver a bike to Rouses Point on the NY/Vermont/Canadian border.

making it a ride as I am towing with the Vmax, and my daughter is riding her SV, Her boy friend is riding his FZ8 and my cousin is riding his Vmax.

Not a fancy ride with lots of good roads due to pulling the trailer but leaving Watertown at 8:30 a.m.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1952
koyote OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Three of us are showing up for an "open" ATV club ride (we are not part of the club) Saturday, they are meeting in Parishville at 10am. The idea is to ride some of the St. Lawrence County "Multi-Use" Pilot trail that is opening up. We are showing up on DRZ400, XL600, KTM 450 to make sure they hold up the "multi-use" end of the deal

Unsure if it is going to be boring, slow, mudhole ridden nonsense but you guys are more than welcome to show up to bolster the ranks

I can vouch for a bunch of the trails being damn good riding, I ride them all the time. It would be real nice if any of you could make it up here for this, it would really show these folks that the Dualsport riders are out there and would make use of this trail even coming from good distances.

There is a bonfire at one of the other guy's house Sat. night for his birthday, I'll buy the beer, am sure you could camp there or at my place if needed
Operose if it wasn't for this dang wedding I would be there. Kudos for representing the Dual Sport riders!
koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #1953
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyote View Post
Operose if it wasn't for this dang wedding I would be there. Kudos for representing the Dual Sport riders!
QFT. You're doing us all a favor, operose.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #1954
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 434
Thanks guys, it is really good to hear that, believe me... have been doing tons of "advocacy" stuff this year and bit has really taken up a lot of my time, we need more people to help "spread the load" due to the time/effort required. Not to mention the ATV/hiking/mtn bike/snowmobile groups that are out for blood(anyone's) -- they are not making it easy for me. Some of the guys from DEC are on our side but the whole org is under so much pressure from environmental groups and other lobbying groups that it is impractical to expect them to be able to help much.

I am the most conflicted tree hugging "dirt biker" you might ever find but sometimes I show up at home after a long day of fighting the good fight and say screw it, might as well ride illegally rather than waste time arguing with these imbeciles, it would be ever so much easier...
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #1955
operose
Mama tried

Maybe some time I will tell you about the mtn bikers that have illegally destroyed wild orchid habitat and are now trying to keep me off public land I have been responsibly utilizing for a decade. Or the ATV group that "doesn't think dirt bikes will be allowed on the trail(sic)" and then espouses economic benefits of a trail system.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #1956
operose
Mama tried

Well we did some good work out there on Saturday. It was really muddy and a slow ride with 12 ATVs and then the three of us bringing up the rear. When we first showed up they told us we could ride with them on the private trails they were starting out on, but once they went to the County "Pilot Trail" we would not be allowed due to the rules. I asked for a copy of the rules and he got some maps out of his truck. Written in the rules was "No motorized trail bikes will be allowed on the trails". This is when I started to get a little pissy and told them we were not trail bikes we are road legal motorcycles. He said he did not make the rules(this is true) and we would have to talk to the County. Well I had already started this process so we decided to just ride with them and have some fun, not worry about it.

After hearing back from the ATV Club President on Sunday, who had spoken to the County Trail Coordinator, it will now be legal for motorcycles that are legally registered and insured to use the St. Lawrence County Multi Use/Community Connector trails that will be opening up for public use in the spring

This also means that it is now legal for us to ride in some of the areas we have been riding all along due to gray-area status of ATVs being allowed (it turns out we were explicitly excluded before, we just didn't know it)

They said we were good ambassadors for Dual Sport riders and also responsible trail users, and they would even like us to join their club if we want. I will probably join the club just to give them some support, these folks are working HARD to get trails opened up and I couldn't be happier to call them my neighbors.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #1957
koyote OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Great job!!!!!
koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #1958
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

You handled that situation a whole lot better than I would have. My initial response at being told motorcycles wouldn't be allowed to use the trail system would have been to say "Fuck you" and things would have gone downhill from there.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #1959
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,278
Very cool - nice work! I rode through Moose River Plains a month or so ago specifically because of the "No Motorcycles" sign.

*mental note, if Tom wants to ride, say "Yes"...

Chuckracer screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 01:08 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #1960
operose
Mama tried

Thanks guys!

Don't take this the wrong way, but some of you... ahem... "more experienced" gentlemen should show up to some of these rides if you can so they don't think it is just a bunch of young whippersnappers riding bikes around tearing shit up I think the average age of this ATV group was >52 and that is with the three of us <35ers mixed in

With that said though we were much better received than by the ATV group in the next town over, which has a younger crowd that was willing to take our money for memberships even knowing that we could not technically ride the trails.

This group we rode with on Saturday is riding on Sunday Oct 6 in the Tooley Pond area so if you are around show up to represent the dualsport crowd, let them know you are interested in trails being opened up and like to spend money on gas and food

Details at http://www.parishvilleareaatv.com/clubnewsevents.html and these are the guys that are going to get you into some of the areas out there that you could get in trouble for riding otherwise.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #1961
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post

*mental note, if Tom wants to ride, say "Yes"...
Well jeez, what logical reason could an ATV club have for excluding dualsports?

Not to date myself, but I remember a day when the only ATV's were Honda ATC 90's and they were rare. We all rode dirt bikes and the trails were in great shape. Then the ATC 110 came along and then the 185s and everybody and their brother got one then the trails turned to shit overnight. It's the nature of the things, they tear up the trails and leave ruts everywhere. Singletrack turns into a pair of foot-deep ruts pocked with bottomless mud holes.

And we're to be excluded, even if we're more than willing to pay the club membership fees? It doesn't make any sense. A dualsport has almost no footprint compared to a quad.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1962
operose
Mama tried

Part of the problem is that these folks don't really know "dual sports" exist... It is either a "road bike" or a "dirt bike" and they equate "dirt bike" with MX tracks, roosting, tabletop jumps or whatever the hell is going on in their minds.

They allow Mountain Bikes on these trails but mentioned ground pressure as a reason for excluding motorcycles... Basically it is blanket fear mongering with no basis in reality. That is what *WE* are here for though, to talk some sense into them, preferably while riding bikes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #1963
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
Well jeez, what logical reason could an ATV club have for excluding dualsports?
It's the nature of the things, they tear up the trails and leave ruts everywhere. Singletrack turns into a pair of foot-deep ruts pocked with bottomless mud holes.
This. I recently rode some honest-to-god single track on some private land (by permission) and it was wonderful. By comparison, there's nothing fun about wallowing through the massive ruts and mud holes these things leave behind.

I hate the fucking things with a passion. They are a pox upon the land.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #1964
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
This. I recently rode some honest-to-god single track on some private land (by permission) and it was wonderful. By comparison, there's nothing fun about wallowing through the massive ruts and mud holes these things leave behind.

I hate the fucking things with a passion. They are a pox upon the land.
ATVr's do seem to prefer to wallowing don't they.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #1965
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
All these local threads keep making me want a dual sport
Hagamen aye? I work down the road on Edson St
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote