ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #61
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
We Missed Chuck

Chuck,

We pulled out of there right around 2pm! did you see the young lady with the black V-Strom?

I understand the GS thing, not really getting it on the first ride. I test road Beemers for 3 years before I put my money down. And even then, I did not go for the big 1200, I took $4,000 off thte price and went F800, and I'm glad I did. You really don't get it until you own it for a while. It's like the car, I have had BMW's and Benzes, and yes, they are nice and all, and you wonder why you spend so much money on them. Then you own them for 200,000 miles and they are as rock solid as the day you bought them. Oh, and when you are in germany doing 130 mph on the autobahn all day long and it feels like you are doing 70, you really get an understanding of what they are all about.

That's the way these bikes are, you start to appreciate them the longer you own them. then there is the fact that you go out on the trail and you do something crazy (well crazy for me is nothing for other guys) and say to yourself, I'm not that good a rider, how the hell did I just do that with this big bike?

And a note to Koyote, KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE PEGS! Hockey can give you a good laugh, but I broke this rule while testing the monster 1200GSA, Gawd that thing is HUGE! and I put my foot down and it ended up in a dip, and that bike sits and inch taller than mine, with a wider seat! I think you know the outcome........ That's what you get for trying to be extra careful with a big $18,000 bike! Luckily, I was not moving more than about 0.5 mph at the time and it was a pretty soft landing, no harm no foul.

Anyway we had a great time, sorry we missed you Chuck. Would have enjoyed riding with you.

But really, did you see the girl with the V-Strom? I have to know!!
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #62
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,796
Yeah, you bet!
She was in and out of there a few times while I was there. I'm pretty sure she was showing off for me, trying to get me to notice her.

I'm certainly not going to judge the line on one 15 minute, 45mph test ride. I'll be back to sample both the GSA (just because!) and the 800, which other than power output would probably be a better comparison to my 950. My problem is I need a bike that's both good in the woods and sand up here where I live, and I can also pound all day rides like yesterdays ride. I don't think that bike exists.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #63
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
Yeah, you bet!
She was in and out of there a few times while I was there. I'm pretty sure she was showing off for me, trying to get me to notice her.

I'm certainly not going to judge the line on one 15 minute, 45mph test ride. I'll be back to sample both the GSA (just because!) and the 800, which other than power output would probably be a better comparison to my 950. My problem is I need a bike that's both good in the woods and sand up here where I live, and I can also pound all day rides like yesterdays ride. I don't think that bike exists.
Yeah, we just missed you! She was not hard to look at!

You might already have the bike. I've never been on a 990 but it seems like a good fit in between the 800 and the 1200. The GSA is HUGE. It rides and feels much bigger and slower than the 1200GS. It does not inspire the confidence that the 800 or 1200 GS does. I think I could get used to it after some time, but I don't think I would trade my 800 in for it, I would see that big boy more as a 80/20 bike with the off road stuff being very tame!

The 800 is a blast, we put about a little less than 300 on yesterday, but I could never have done it without the Airhawk. I did the last 100 miles without it and my ass was killing me! (I took it off for the rain storm and never put it back on) The first 200 were no problem with the Airhawk.

Hey, did Steve talk to you about the RA ralley at the end of the month?

It sounds like a blast http://www.bmwra.org/d/node/1

Open to all makes and models. I would like to get a bunch of us together and go over for a day or two.

Steve is putting on a class and he said as long as we bring a beer we are in. They will also have a tag-o-rama and some nice trails to ride in Vermont, along with the obstical course http://www.bmwra.org/d/node/17

They don't say it here, but there will also be a teeter totter.

So who is game?

Any one interested?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #64
hockey
LOVE 2 RIDE

Oddometer: 183
It sounds like a blast http://www.bmwra.org/d/node/1

Open to all makes and models. I would like to get a bunch of us together and go over for a day or two.

Steve is putting on a class and he said as long as we bring a beer we are in. They will also have a tag-o-rama and some nice trails to ride in Vermont, along with the obstical course http://www.bmwra.org/d/node/17

They don't say it here, but there will also be a teeter totter.

So who is game?

Any one interested?[/quote]

Hay bpken11, start a new thread for this event for a group ride from our area out to this. Im not sure if I can go yet but Im interested.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #65
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598551

Sounds like fun...to watch!

Chuckracer screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 08:10 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #66
Droozy
TT Stooge # 9677

Oddometer: 318
bump.... just seeing if a measily drz can ride with you guys. i miss all of ya...
Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #67
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Hey man! Where ya been? Wait...I think I know where you been...you been keeping us safe again, aren't ya?

There's not enough thanks we can give for that...but thank you.

Maybe we should hook up and you can show me around the Tug sometime? Gotta be gentle though, I'm a reborn dirt newb on a huge bike. Bad combo!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #68
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Chuck did you ever make it to vermont?

Hey Chuck,

did you get to Vermont on that Saturday?

You guys missed a great time! Stupid me did not take any pictures to upload for you, but if you go the Max BMW site you will see pics from the RA Rally. I did do much of the obstical course but I did not enter the competition. Friday mroning the course was great, but Friday afternoon these hot shots with small KTM's and other dirt bikes just chewed the sh7t out of it and made it hard for a big bike with street tires to get a grip. I went down Saturday morning when my feeble front tire with little tred left washed out on a switchback gravel whoopdie doop. I ran the course one more time (you know get back on the horse) and then called it a day on the course. I went to a Total Control seminar, then packed up and headed home Saturday afternoon around 4pm. Two days of camping in a tiny tent was enough for me.

Max had 10 BMW 450 GX's there to try out. You just signed your name on the don't sue us if you die line, and have a blast. Much easier to run the course on a 450 than an 800! And the tourqe on these little bikes was amazing, they had a real kick in the pants and were a blast to ride!

Friday morning I went on a dirt ride that Steve from Max headed up. I got about 500 feet on the Class 4 road and turned back!! There was no way I was doing that on those tires, and honestly I don't know if I would have done it on new Knobbies! These guys were humping 1200 GSA's on stuff I would want one of those 400's on!

In the afternoon I went on a ride with Steve that was much more to my liking, just a little harder than what Koyote, Hockey and I did a few weeks back.

On Saturday morning they did a not for faint of heart ride. I can't imagine what that ride was like, but I can tell you I saw a KTM 990 come back with TWO yes TWO bent front rims!! That guy must be insane! Hi heard one guy stuck it between a tree and a rock on purpose because if he tried to make the turn he would of high sided in the dirt and took himself and his 800 over a 100ft drop. NO THANKS! I saw Steve come back clean by himself, about 10 minutes later the others started straggling in, full of mud and dirt, scrapped up bikes, etc.

I rode with Steve, he was amazing on a stock 800 with the Battlewing tires and no modifications. That guy rode on the rocks like he was on the highway, after two days and one not for faint of heart ride his bike was clean and he was fresh as a daisy , everyone else and their bikes looked like they had been through the war! I would really like to get a small group together and see if we can get Steve to give us a price on a day or two workshop, I think it would be money well spent. I would like to be half the rider he is!

Well, I have been crazy since getting back from Vermont, that's why I just got around to posting this. I am looking forward to another ride with you all, Hockey has my cell phone if you all decide to get out there!

Ride Safe
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #69
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

OH, I forgot, just put new Metzler Tourance tires on the bike and I'm looking to try them out! Who's ready to get out there!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #70
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Yeah, I came out on Saturday for a while. Didn't ride while there, though.

Ya wanna come up here and run dirt roads?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #71
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Absolutely!

Let me know what's good for you
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #72
koyote OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Somebody say dirt?
koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #73
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Hey Koyote

Did you ever do a ride report from your Vermont trip? How did your Father do on that trip?

Should we try and put something together for Saturday?

You up for it Chuck? Koyote? Hockey? Droozy?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #74
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

I'm up for it. Wanna come up here? If we could get Conibear involved, he knows all these roads around here.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #75
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Sounds like a plan.