Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,048
Continuing south we roll off the Cinder Cone. Conditions are epic!

Pat

And Chris

Following the power line trail over Pine Mountain.

Big country pic.

After dropping down off of Pine Mountain we continue south through the pucker brush for a few miles until we climb into the East Fort Rock OHV trail system. Super fun twisty trails, tacky soil and cool temps!

Aaron

Dave

Re grouping

Mick

Red and Dave

One of the Canadian guys offered around moose jerky (of course). I was skeptical but it was gooooood! Red and Dave liked too.

We continue south through East Fort Rock. Great mix of twisty trails and logging roads. Heading toward Hole in the Ground and lunch in Fort Rock.

Another 20 or so to go to lunch.

Getting closer to Hole in the Ground the terrain begins to turn more desert like as we reach the edge of the pines. The camera doesn’t do it justice but the bark on the pine trees almost appears illuminated by the sun. Something else to see!

Up next, Hole in the Ground and hill climbs…
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
west250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
=]

Great pics Greg! The trails through this OHV park made me giggle like a little girl (tee hee hee!) =]

west250 screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 10:35 PM
west250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Hole in the Ground is a volcanic “marr” crater that sits on the edge of what used to be a massive ocean. One of the interesting aspects is that it sits within only a few miles of Fort Rock, a similar crater, yet Fort Rock was created in the ancient ocean. Pics of that soon.

Here’s Hole in the Ground and a short panoramic video.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

We drop down into the crater the easy way.

Just for fun Pat and Mark take a run up the hill, the hard way out. Firm moist soil made the climb doable.

We exit the crater and head east toward Fort Rock. Here are a couple pics looking east from on top of Hole in the Ground.

Fort Rock in the distance.

The chase truck meets up with us a few miles away from Hole in the Ground.

A few miles later we are at the base of Fort Rock. Quite a structure created about the same time as Hole in the Ground but in the middle of an ocean. Favorite pic spot.

We motor on in to the Fort Rock Pub. They have one of the best home made hamburgers you will find.

Up next: Derrick Cave, Green Mountain and a cruise on into Christmas Valley
Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
XPLORZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Great report!

Waitin for more...........
XPLORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Time to get moving after lunch…some of us, including me, would be in nap mode soon if we sat too long!

Leaving Fort Rock we ventured north a ways on fun old two track that follows the edge of Devil’s Garden. Making a stop at Derrick’s Cave and Green Mountain before heading into Christmas Valley for the night. Feels like John Wayne could be around any corner.

Pat

Aaron

While waiting for the riders to regroup I spot this in the distance.

Closer view.

An old lava tube obviously but had enough time waiting there to wonder where it went and how many people over the years have explored it and maybe even used it for shelter.

Continuing on toward Derrick’s Cave. Love these old roads!

Rolling into Derrick’s Cave.

One of the small caves in the area. My first visit I was disappointed as I thought this was Derrick’s Cave.

While the rest of us looked at it (tiredly) Joe enthusiastically climbed in.

This is Derrick’s Cave.

And the other side. Joe exploring the civil defense bunker.

Looking down into Derrick’s Cave.

And back out at the guys.

Interesting conversations with Mick, a geologist, about land formation, time and all that sort of thing that forces your mind to stretch beyond here and now.

Up next, Green Mountain and Christmas Valley
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
KTM_Dave
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Lovin' it!!!!!

Great RR!! Almost like doing the ride all over again~~!!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #22
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

For sure!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #23
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

We mount up again and head toward Green Mountain by way of mostly Jeep roads; wide enough to ride at a bit of speed but rutted enough to make you pay attention and provide some challenge.

The Green Mountain lookout. Not yet open for the fire season.

View from the top. If you look carefully you can see Fort Rock in the distance.

Pat

Mark

Pat and Joe. Said they thought they could see home (British Columbia) from up top!

From Green Mountain we roll on into Christmas Valley. Here’s a pic of the GPS at the end of the day.

And of the guys sitting around having a couple cold ones and beginning to embellish on the stories of the day!

We called for “limo” service to dinner and this is what we got!

Some of us waiting for the world famous chicken fried steak. I don’t think I ever had chicken fried steak until a few years ago at the Lodge restaurant in Christmas Valley. It is literally to die for (or die because of?)! If you go, try it…

After dinner those of us that were not overcome by a food induced coma watched the sunset and BSd about the day while enjoying a “Havana Honey”.

A perrrrrfect day!

Up tomorrow, Christmas Valley to Silver Lake. We’ll ride the infamous Fandango Canyon, take in a history lesson about ancient poop found in the Paisley Caves and (try to) eat a monster steak at the Cowboy Dinner Tree!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Christmas Valley in the morning. One of my favorite places and time of day. Quiet, serene, peaceful, calm…at least until the bikes are lit off…

The plan for today is a 150 mile ride south through Fandango Canyon to Paisley then make a “U” shaped turn to the west and head north through the Fremont Forest to Silver Lake. Lunch stop is at the Paisley Caves where we will get a personal tour from Dr. Jenkins himself and dinner is at the world famous (well, almost) Cowboy Dinner Tree. The speculation has already begun on who, if any, in the group will be able to finish the meal.

Here’s one contender for sure. Kyler is a young buck and still retains that youthful eating energy. He’s finished the plate at the “Tree” before so I’m putting some of my money on him.

Here he is in training.

After sufficient carb loading we roll out of CV toward Sucker Flat (adequately named for anyone that bought property there back in the 60s) and jog south into Fandango. Fandango is a mix of everything…from beautiful wide open valleys to molar popping rip rap strewn “roads”. I’ve had herds of wild horses dart in front of me and have seen mountain sheep up high on the Diablo Rim. So remote in feeling it is just one of those places that makes some of the west still “wild”.

The track from Sucker Flat.

Aaron rolling in.

Mark with the Black Hills in the distance.

The road to Fandango. That’s St Patrick Mountain in the distance. We’ll eventually flank that on the left side.

Up next, more Fandango and a mind stretching educational experience at the Paisley Caves
Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

On to Fandango. None of these pictures actually do the bone jarring, molar popping, rip rap mess of a road justice but mostly it’s because we didn’t stop in the nasty stuff to take pics. Truthfully there are some sections that you really just hunker down to get through but a lot of the road is really fun two track and the scenery is spectacular.

Dropping down into Coffeepot Basin, the first valley, we gather up all the riders who were spread out over several miles.

Here’s Dave. You’ll notice that roads here are pretty good.

Some fun two track a little bit later on.

A few of us chatted about exactly where in the middle of nowhere were we.

To confuse them even more I pointed to the ridge in the distance in this picture which is due west of us…that we would be riding that later in the afternoon. Blank stares, no comments!

We stop a few times along the way to keep the group together.

Red

And we eventually pop out at the south end of Fandango.

We check our bolts and inventory our teeth before moving on.

From here we enjoy about a 10 mile high speed gravel cruise (and airflow) where we peel off and jump on a sandy desert road that takes us 5 miles out to Paisley Caves.

Here’s a pic looking up at the caves as we arrive.

And the guys rolling in.

Here’s Mark. Interesting info on Mark. He and I talked several times leading up to the trip. He was quite concerned about the details and whether he and his bike were up to the task. From what he told me I knew he would have a great time and could handle the ride easily…but from those conversations I expected him to be somewhat quiet and reserved, which he was until day 2. Here’s part of the “real” Mark. Little did we all know this was just the beginning (more on that later)!

For me it is impossible to describe the feeling of the Paisley Caves experience mostly because we are talking about history that goes back thousands of years and radiocarbon dating places the age of coprolites (fossilized poop) at around 14,000 years making the human DNA findings the oldest in the Americas.

We climbed up to the caves and enjoyed lunch with some of the workers.

Pics from the caves. This one is looking to the west over the Summer Lake basin. That is Winter Ridge in the distance. We will ride that later today.

The bikes look pretty small from up here.

As we finished lunch we listened intently to Dr. Jenkins from the University of Oregon. He proceeded to tell us the history of the original discoveries at the caves going back to the 1930s, their recent discoveries, a little bit of the science behind the work and summarized it by painting a picture of what life was probably like 14,000 years ago when the Summer Lake Basin held considerably more water.

The experience was simply fascinating!

The fellow to the left is Mark Swisher. Mark is a local geology and history buff and is now volunteering with Dr. Jenkins crew. I met him year’s ago on a tour of the Homestead Museum in Fort Rock where he had us captivated with his knowledge and stories of the early homesteaders in the Fort Rock area. We’ve stayed in touch and it was Mark that put us in touch with the Cave tour. Thanks Mark!

Dr. Jenkins explaining the impact of rodent urine.

Everything gets examined. Here a worker sifts through the soil.

This is a coprolite, an ancient piece of poop. Because it might have been contaminated (came into contact with humans or anything that might alter its original DNA) it could not be used.

One of the digs.

We spent a fascinating hour and a half at the site but it was time to mount up and get back on the trail.

But before we left we discovered Pat had a flat!

Up next…a flat fix and a cruise through the Fremont. Stay tuned!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #26
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

It’s pretty warm out and the air is dead so most of us are thinking it will be nice to get on the bikes and get some air flowing. We are all saddled up and ready to roll but we are missing someone…Pat…who’s over by the chase truck pulling off his front wheel.

Somehow he must have picked up a nail. Searching around the area we notice nails all over.

Dripping with sweat we dive in and git er done.

And then we are off.

We roll through Paisley then up into the Fremont where everything is different…from dry desert sage to wet forest logging roads, all within a few miles of each other.

Some gravel too.

One of my favorite stops: Fremont Point.

Here we are at over 7,100 feet.

Looking down over Summer Lake and the area we just came from.

Still some snow along the ridge.

Aaron thinking about the work piling up on his desk at home.

From Fremont Point we continue heading north through the forest. You see all sorts of wildlife up here including livestock.

Always careful to slowly pass cattle to avoid getting them too agitated and possibly injured. This group was particularly stupid and difficult to pass…the moved for sure but only ahead of me, not out of my way. I paced a couple of them for a quarter mile.

A few scenery shots as we head toward Silver Lake.

Remnants of a past fire.

Table Rock in the distance.

And up close. There’s a great trail to the top and the view is incredible.

Chris and I at an intersection waiting for the rest of the group to complete the “flat track” curves…wide, sweeping gravel roads that invite you to get yourself in all kinds of trouble.

Other flat trackers show up.

From here we slab it a few miles into Silver Lake for showers, a few cold beers, indecent exposure on a motorcycle and dinner at the world famous Cowboy Dinner Tree.

Stay tuned…
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
brinboise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
most excellent RR, my kind of ride
brinboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #28
Midas Ag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
These are some pretty awesome pictures. Can't wait for the rest of them.
Midas Ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #29
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

The rest of the gang show up and we throttle on in to Silver Lake. We are actually in early and have some time to relax…and that’s what we do!

Pat, Mark and Joe.

Kyler and Mark, the chase truck team extraordinaire.

Dave and Red.

It was fun sitting around BSing about the day. Guys would randomly head to their rooms to shower and get ready for dinner. While I was wrapped in a towel brushing my teeth, Bootleg Dave comes running into the room laughing, “You’ve got to bring your camera, Mark is on the loose!” I hurry.

It was quite a show out on the main drag in front of Silver Lake, me wrapped in a towel with a toothbrush in my mouth trying to video Mark imitate Cirque du Soleil’s Zumanity on a motorcycle! We got a good laugh out of this. Short vid:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Load up in the chase truck and off to the Cowboy Dinner Tree for dinner.

Up next…the Cowboy Dinner Tree.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #30
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Lovin' it!!!

Keep it comin'! The Paisley Caves Scatological Society report is awesome; education disguised as entertainment. Mind expanding. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote