sounds like poor planning to me

congrats
Yeah....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #77
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,331
First triathlon of the year for me today. Nice race in northeastern MA. Great pond swim, nice bike course with small rolling hills. Decent flat run course.

Had a good swim like normal. Caught a few people from the group before mine. Bike was good, almost a 20mph average. Decent for me with the lack of training I've had. Run... bonk. Went out too hard on the bike, like I always do. It was foggy and cool in the morning, sun came out while on the bike, moisture started coming up off the ground making it very muggy. That didn't help.

Good to get a baseline in a local sprint tri.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #78
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
First triathlon of the year for me today. Nice race in northeastern MA. Great pond swim, nice bike course with small rolling hills. Decent flat run course.

Had a good swim like normal. Caught a few people from the group before mine. Bike was good, almost a 20mph average. Decent for me with the lack of training I've had. Run... bonk. Went out too hard on the bike, like I always do. It was foggy and cool in the morning, sun came out while on the bike, moisture started coming up off the ground making it very muggy. That didn't help.

Good to get a baseline in a local sprint tri.
Running sucks anyway good job
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #79
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I haven't read the whole thread (sucks on the iphone)...I can ride and run, but how do you get started swimming? We have a great center here in town, but I don't know jack about competitive swimming.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #80
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Can you swim at all? If so, checking out some videos and heading to the pool might help.

If you can't swim or suck at it, I believe most Y's have adult swim programs.
Freestyle is all you should focus on.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #81
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Join a gym with a lap pool. Swim three times a week. If you suck at it, get a swim coach (or lessons).

I used the Total Immersion method. You tube has lots of vids on it. Worked really well for me.

The swim became my favorite part after the first open water tri.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #82
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I can swim just fine....but that's like saying I can run or ride a bike. I'm talking about form and training.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #83
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
I can swim just fine....but that's like saying I can run or ride a bike. I'm talking about form and training.
Then find a team that has a coach. That's what helped me, and I've been on swim teams since I was 3.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #84
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
www.beginnertriathlete.com

Great resource from forums and training plans, to logging your workouts.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #85
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
If you're already a decent swimmer, look for local "Total Immersion" swim instruction. Here in Minneapolis they offer instruction through the YWCA. TI fundamentally changed my wife's swimming.

www.totalimmersion.net

I've avoided triathlons because of the swim, but in my case I'm going completely back to basics in an adult swim class in September. Kinda like when Hollywood "reboots" a movie franchise.
2010 KLX250S
zrxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #86
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 514
Knoxville 2012

Just signed up for my first Half Ironman. Still trying to figure out what came over me but whats done is done. Have done 4 marathons, lost count on Half marathons, 2 Biathlons, 2 Sprint TRI's. Only 23 weeks away so time to hit the pool and bike and maintain the current running level, last marathon was 4 weeks ago.
Yukon65006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #87
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon65006 View Post
Just signed up for my first Half Ironman. Still trying to figure out what came over me but whats done is done. Have done 4 marathons, lost count on Half marathons, 2 Biathlons, 2 Sprint TRI's. Only 23 weeks away so time to hit the pool and bike and maintain the current running level, last marathon was 4 weeks ago.
You won't have a problem. Swim comfortably, bike smoothly, and you already know how to run Have fun!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #88
rspennac
Super n00b

Oddometer: 340
Last year I dropped about 60 lbs of fat. A friend told me about sprints. I thought, well I can do each leg on its own easily so maybe....

I signed up. This past May I ran it. The water was so cold. I think the temp was about 62. I rented a nice tri-wet suit. It did its job really well however I could not handle the cold water hitting me in the face. Each time the water splashed up I caused me to gasp and suck in water. I thought oh sh!t what am I going to do? I switched to breast stroke. Better but so slow and the neck strap started pulling restricking my breathing. Now what? Well, try back stroke. It worked awesome! Before I knew it I was passing all kinds of people. I ended up swimming about 2/3s of the swom on my back. Funny.

My time wasn't real fast but I wasn't trying to beat people. I just wanted to finish. In my age group I finished #24 out of 31. So overall it was a great experience. Best of all my kids were there and were in complete awe of what I just did.

I plan to run a sprint in May, a few 5k's and at least one 10k. If I stay focused I may run an olyimic sprint.
rspennac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #89
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Cold water can be a challenge. If it really bothers you, you might wait until at least late June to do tri's in your area
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #90
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 514
Just completed the Knoxville REV3 70.3 race on Sunday. What a great and challanging course. While my times were not great, 7:13, I was able to get through it all. Next year at REV3 Quassy or Orchard Beach I will do better, moving to CT in 2 weeks.

It was great seeing how well Adventure Rider was represented at the race. Lots of GS's with ADV stickers on them hauling the cameramen and race officials around the course.
Yukon65006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: