Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #46
Viking
Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer: 441
used the tip on several occasions during my trip out west last fall, works like a charm.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #47
smoky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I used this on my MC trip back east last year, it worked almost everywhere.

This winter I towed my bike to CA and AZ, this again worked in most places, but not in any Chevron dealer in CA. I started going to Shell, and it worked fine.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #48
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 417
Drove to Disney on March Break.. from Buffalo, down to Richmond VA then I95 to Orlando. Only got asked for the code at a few pumps, but it worked every time.
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #49
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
:) I've always thought it was a good thing to have that zip code question there down here in the States, in case someone grabbed my card but may not know my billing zip code. I wonder now if this hack implies someone could get around the zip code test after all?

Does this happen at Canadian stations for American cards?
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #50
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
So,,,,does this zip code you come up with HAVE to be based off of your Cdn postal code?
In my experience, any Chevron in the USA has required me to walk in to pay at the till,,,,never have any of my cards worked at the pumps.
I do have a U.S. postal address of sorts, actually a freight forwarding address company I use when ordering parts out of the USA. The U.S. zip code on that address has never worked.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #51
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
My understanding is that the zip code is the one associated with the billing address for the credit cards being used so it has to be valid and associated with the credit card. This is a security check done by some of the US machines. By using the code described above, I believe it puts our Canadian postal code in a syntax the machines understand given that our postal codes are alphanumeric.

When using a Canadian credit card in Canada, we are not asked for our postal code. Maybe someone can enlighten us as to what happens when trying to use a US based card in Canada.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #52
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
there can be no way a fake made up zip code is in any way connected to your canadian credit card account to verify the user........
just use anY zip you know from a USA company address or friend and remember it.
its like ikea or other stores who want your postal code when you make a purchase so they can know what part of canada you came from to shop at their store. in the future they may advertise more effectively.

so, i use zip 59917 from MT ...........giv'er deaner
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #53
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
there can be no way a fake made up zip code is in any way connected to your canadian credit card account to verify the user........
just use anY zip you know from a USA company address or friend and remember it.
its like ikea or other stores who want your postal code when you make a purchase so they can know what part of canada you came from to shop at their store. in the future they may advertise more effectively.

so, i use zip 59917 from MT ...........giv'er deaner

hhmmm. I've had cars declined for entering the wrong code....so that's not true everywhere.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #54
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
yes...
thats becoz they entered a code incorrectly.
if their code is say H0H 0H0 but entered HoH oHo that is incorrect and is NOT a code that exists in canada (o = small letter o is is not a number. 0 = zero )...has to be letter number letter .... in canada. so yes, an incorrect code will NOT work. that is why making up a ZiP based on your postal code will not always work since Not allll 5 digit radom numbers will produce a ZiP code that actually exists.
kapeesh?!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #55
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
yes...
thats becoz they entered a code incorrectly.
if their code is say H0H 0H0 but entered HoH oHo that is incorrect and is NOT a code that exists in canada (o = small letter o is is not a number. 0 = zero )...has to be letter number letter .... in canada. so yes, an incorrect code will NOT work. that is why making up a ZiP based on your postal code will not always work since Not allll 5 digit radom numbers will produce a ZiP code that actually exists.
kapeesh?!

No. I have experienced entering my zip code (NOT my postal code) incorrectly - a typo- and it is not accepted. American dude....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #56
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
I have been declined a number of times trying to use my Canadian CC along with a valid U.S. zip code; I have not tried to use this "secret" code as it has been described. If the pump wants a zip code for my CC, then I either go inside to pay or use debit. I have found that it's hit and miss with stations in the U.S. My understanding is that the zip needs to match the billing address for the CC.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #57
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,684
I recently did an Ironbutt ride through Washington and nothing worked for me at the Shell pumps in Pasco, WA
BUT now that I re-read this thread the pump never even asked for a zip code, just denied right away.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #58
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kaz View Post
I recently did an Ironbutt ride through Washington and nothing worked for me at the Shell pumps in Pasco, WA
BUT now that I re-read this thread the pump never even asked for a zip code, just denied right away.

Yeah, I was riding in Washiongton state for a week recently, never worked once, Shell, Chevron, none of them.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #59
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Used this recently for American Netflix. Who would have thunk it.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #60
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Could have been required once last week....Montana? Idaho? Washington? Don't remember and can't care less, walked in with some cash and had a nice conversation with the locals about nothing in general.

A pleasant sunny day in the twisties they pointed me toward.