User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #46
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Thumb Day 4 100 miles Leon, GTO to San Miguel de Allende

Paul and I are both in an internet cafe here in SMA. Let the dirt and trash talk begin. Paul is not that good of a rider...just kiding. He´s great. We have had an unbeliveable day. Our good fortune has continued, weather has been perfect and the riding could not be better.

Guanajuato is a place for motorcycles. It is heaven. We took off from Leon about 9 and it stopped raining. That did not stop me from getting soaked by passing cars. The ride is only like 30 min and it is a blast. You get to the tunnels and it is a rush. We parked here beside the main market and I did some browsing while Paul...

let dogs pee all over his bike and tire. This dog particularly had it in for his tire because he kept peeing on it and then looking back at it to make sure he got it good.

Like I said...tunnels=amazing and fun. You can smell the fresh bread cooking a bakery right in the middle of the city. Here is a pic of Pablo behind me while I´m riding.

I had never been up to the lookout (bufa). The ride up was a blast. Cobblestone everywhere and very busy. Today was graduation day for most schools in mexico. Kids were in uniform with flowers that their parents had given them.

Here is me at the top and then us both.

more to come...
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #47
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
S.Luis Potosí has always been a town I´ve wanted to see. Because we needed to get to Leon by Tuesday, I knew we didn´t have much time, but even from a quick morning walk around town, you could tell this is a spot that deserves considerable time... another day.

Jeff getting a shot of SLP as we roll out of town...

On the way to León...

Ok, you´ve seen the manaquin photos, but there were some other interesting things at the mall, kids playing soccer on an electric light up floor. Kind of like the Tom Hanks in the movie ¨Big¨ playing the floor piano.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #48
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Leon to SMA...cont

So the ride between Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende is the best one so far. I was in a zone and had some adrenaline pumping. Paul let me borrow his good earphones (I swear I´ll give them back) and I was rocking the latest Avenged on the ipod. When we got to SMA I had a little dizzyness because of the adrenaline high that went away. We took the small road due east. On my map it did not have a number. When you get to the top of the cuota entering into Guanajuato, turn right to San Miguel. Mountain peaks, farming being done in rocky soil with oxen...terraced farming and not too many farm animals to run into as you blast away. I loved it. It was the best rush so far and way beautiful.

Paul proved he had connections in SMA. He teaches here sometimes through his college and he hooked us up...literally. This is a picture if Maria de la cruz´house, 2 blocks from the zocalo )(centro) We drove our bikes into the courtyard, ordered food, it was delivered and we watched the second half of the world cup when Spain dominated (beat) Alemania. It was amazingly fun.

It started to rain then...and poured. It was great. It stopped and we could walk around the zocalo and come here to post. Got some laundry done. Extremely fun and productive day...

One more parting shot of Guanajuato...I love that place. Edgy and raw...not so tame like SMA and not as many white people as SMA all trying to learn Spanish by speaking English to each other at cafes and shops.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

As Jeff was saying, it was raining this morning when we left León. For breakfast we walked to the nearest Oxxo and bought some rolls. Jeff pulled out his poncho because it was coming down pretty good. Mmmmm, sin comentarios...

We arrived at Guanajuato and while Jeff went to check out the market and do his business, I watched the bikes.

A family of three hopped on a 125...guy in front, 2 year old in the middle, then mom on the back. I told them that looked like a fun way for a family to travel and the smiled and agreed and the little guy even waved.

Soon Jeff returned with news that he had to pay 4 pesos to use the restroom (2 more than the Pemex stations), but I refused to pay four pesos to piss, so I waited it out.

Riding up towards la Bufa...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #50
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

The Guanajuato riding was great and the mirador was a great way to finish the ride through.

Arrggg, Jeff beat me to this one...

The guy who took the above photo was a tour guide selling info on the town, but we did give him a few pesos for taking the photo...I think he did a nice job.

Jeff taking a picture of a lady and her son traveling through Mexico.

Hay unas vistas de Guantajuato que no hay que explicar...

We arrived in San Miguel de Allende in time to catch most of the Espana Alemania game. We watched from the family I stayed with for two months a few years back. Lovely people who took us in for the night without any notice. When the Mari Cruz opened the door I still had on my helmet and she didn´t recognize me right away, but she did when I started speaking. Great to see them again. Good to be where we are...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #51
Wolverine1305
The english is hard

Oddometer: 170
Hello friends.

Hello
How are you?
I am following your ride report and It´s awesome
be careful with the rain and the water on the road. Sometimes in the cities the drivers does not respect you and they splash you so you have a shower free.
All the best.

Hola
Como estan?
Estoy siguieno su viaje y es increible
Tengan cuidado con la lluvia y el agua en la carretera. A veces en las ciudades los conductores no te respetan y ellos te salpican a si que tu tienes una ducha gratis.
lo mejor.
Wolverine1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #52
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Gracias...averiguamos eso...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1305
Hello
How are you?
be careful with the rain and the water on the road. Sometimes in the cities the drivers does not respect you and they splash you so you have a shower free.
All the best.

Hola
Como estan?
Tengan cuidado con la lluvia y el agua en la carretera. A veces en las ciudades los conductores no te respetan y ellos te salpican a si que tu tienes una ducha gratis.
lo mejor.
Thanks for the heads up. We have been very careul, but had to fight the rain today. We arrived in Orizaba, near Cordoba, near Veracruz. Lots of rain and the nublina (fog) comming down the mountain...crazy
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #53
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

SMA to Orizaba(near Veracruz)

We made it here through the mist, rain, almost 2 hours of traffic jam, lane splitting, riding on the shoulder, thunderstorms. We will hope to get a better internet conection tomorrow..
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #54
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Paul here, posting under Jeff's login cause I'm too lazy to enter my own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1305
Hello
How are you?
All the best.

Hola
Como estan?
lo mejor.
Gracias por el comentario...ya nos banaron 2 veces...una vez a mi mientras caminaba por la calle y otra vez a Jeff en la moto...pero un bano completo!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #55
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Wow, another chance encounter yesterday...

So we made it from Orizaba to Ciudad del Carmen around 5:30. We're looking for a hotel and after making a wrong turn I notice a guy standing in his drive who looks like he might know the city, maybe give us a hotel recommendation. We see he has a motorcycle in his patio and that's a good sign. Turns out that Eric is the vice president of the local chapter of LAMA (latin america motorcycle association) and he says he'll take us to a decent one which he does!

He gives me the number of the president who lives in Merida (Beto) and says to call him because we want to go there Saturday, says Beto will help us out with things. Cool! I call Beto later in the evening and he asks where we're at. Turns out he's only 10 minutes away and he soon shows up with Eric and his wife and before we can blink we're on our way to a nice brasilean restaurante where the owner is another member and we're about to have an interesting evening at their weekly Friday meeting!

I'll let it at that for the moment while maybe we get some pictures ready....
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #56
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Amazing Stuff and Day 5 SMA to Orizaba

We continue to be amazed at the people we run into here in Mexico. Such caring, interesting, family oriented, smart people who are and have been so kind and helpful. As you will see whe we talk about what happened last night. We did not get back to the hotel util like 1:30 am. A crazy amazing night. However back to day 5.

I did a little walking around San Miguel de Allende one day and I found that most schools were graduating. I wandered in to one and saw this:

Lot of parents taking photos and giving flowers and gifts. In my wanderings I ran into the catedral and the main plaza.

This meal was the recommendation of the waiter. It was near the plaza. Killer "cesina" as we watched a small tv play old Simpson's re-runs dubd into Spa.

In SMA we stayed with friends of Paul. Maria de la cruz and her husband Sacramento Great people. If you need a place to stay in SMA...Contact Paul. He will give you the hook up. They were so amazing.

One final shot leaving town...

We traveled all day to get to Orizaba. We hit a traffic jam just north of Mexico City and spent 1.5 hours going 12 miles. It would have been 4 hours but we split lanes, used medians and weaved our way around traffic, busses, trucks full of pigs and cops. What a clustercuss. After that the pain of the tolls began. We hit the newest, nicest freeway to Puebla. Killer fast...killer expensive. A one hour stretch runs about 200 pesos. We wanted to get to Orizaba...and we did. The last hour is all down mountains. It is foggy and cloudy 85% of the time. It was for us. Very eerie and surreal. Through tunnels and down into the city. Oh..it was also pouring rain. When we got to Orizaba, we were soaked and beat.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #57
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Wicked Day 6 Orizaba to Ciudad del Carmen

This is what it looked like at the bottom of the Mtn in Orizaba.

I had no idea that this area was where the tropics began. We were pinalandia.

I stopped for a quick shot on a bridge.

This nice couple sold me a pinaple. They showed me a fruit that was shaped like an avocado and tasted like one...but it was different. It was called a "chinin" I also got some mamones. (great fruit)

Yucatan peninsula anyone?

How many times in your life do you get to see a sign like this in persona and know that you'll be there the next day. Just amazing.

chinin...let's make some guacamole

Mamones
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #58
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

More...Ciudad del Carmen

So much happened here that was amazing. I'll get into more detail tonight hopefully...but here are some teaser pics.

Check out the embroidered shirts and the names on the shirts.

One of the most beautiful bikes ever.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #59
nbingham9
n00b

Oddometer: 5
New shirts

I am excited to find out how you get customs shirts in just a few days. Tiene que ser por mamones.... No te creas.
Keep it up we love seeing the pictures you post.
Nate
nbingham9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #60
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Jeff and Sacramento go over routes before leaving San Miguel...

I stayed with MariCruz and Sacramento for 2 months about 7 years ago and every time I return I visit them. Muy buena gente!

Fast forward to Friday night. This is the LAMA meeting that Eric and Beto took us to...

Eric, in the middle, is the vicepresidente of the local Ciudad del Carmen chapter of LAMA.