User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
Dusty Rhodes OP
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Cracow Pub ride S.E.Q Orstrailya

I had this one planned for a while but I was also waiting for our daughter to pop out her first born

The job was done on the 23rd of April so the next weekend was all mine

Yes and it just happened to be the May Day long weekend

So with short notice only 3 of us lined up at Kilcoy at 8am.

L-R Martin (Kat00m) on his brand new DR - me - Graham (unco)

We slabbed it up to Yarraman and then found the dirt and came out at Maidenwell for fuel. We didn't take a lot of photos but Glenncliffe Rd up to Kumbia was excellent.

We then took off up Ironpot Rd which also has some good dirt bits. If your up that way take a left on Bassingthwaite Rd it comes back out on Burra Birri Rd and then your into Durong for fuel and lunch.

The North Burnett Regional Council map that has all the road names on from Allies Ck north . So we headed north towards Allies Ck which was another great run through the bush.

Then left at the T "Cardarga sign" right on Mclaughlans Rd which turns into Boundry Rd. When we came out of the forest area with the shade/rocks/washouts/sand etc the counrtyside changed significantly.

Heading north on New Cadarga Rd (don't take the left fork to "Hawkwood" go Straight and cross over the grid) and you'll pop out on Hawkwood Rd.

From there go left and then just up the road take Nerangy Rd on your right and you should come out on the Yerilla Rd here.

We headed off in search for Rockybar Rd which we found just past a big farmhouse and turned left into it.

There was evidence of lots of recent flooding but the water was just about gone now.

Just past the 2nd (?) causeway I missed a turn which had a sign to Eidsvold on it (I was hoping for one with Cracow on it) so my troops faithfully followed me as we started to head south towards Taroom

We got to here and Martin checked his GPS and it showed Dearne Rd which was not the place for us. So we backtracked and took the now left turn that bought us out on the main Eidsvold/Theodore Rd.

Martin ran out of fuel at the intersection and nearly lost it when the backwheel locked up

256k for the standard tank . Last fuel is at Durong and I reckon all but 10k's was dirt By the way there is no fuel at Cracow so Martin carried 10 litres with him.

Anyways it was past beer 'o' clock (4pm for me) so off to the Cracow (pronounced Crack Whore) Hotel

AAAAAHHHH that's better.

Free camping across the road and $10 special meals. Saturday's was Barramundi. It tasted a bit more like Mulletmundi but it did the job.

Cracow is an old gold mining town and was deserted some years ago when the mine closed down. But with the re-opening of the mine it is now alive again. From Kilcoy it was 448k's which included the wrong turn and took us 8.5 hours. A great old historic pub waits for your arrival and seems to be run by backpackers It's owned by Fred & Sandi Brophy (boxing tent fame) who also own the Kilkivan pub....... hmmmmm have to drop in there one day.

Lot's of stuff to check out and yes that is writing on the walls AND the ceiling.

Damo the bartender was wondering why I was lying on the floor so I told him not to look. His girlfriend was hot and yes I did get a photo........you'll have to wait for it

What a great way to spend a Saturday.

"oil me back" Arnie

Dusty Rhodes screwed with this post 05-06-2010 at 04:21 AM
Dusty Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
Better than most of my Saturdays Thanks for the report and pics
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
Waiting for the rest of the story.

FarRider #332.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Sounds like a great trip.
256 km on a Standard tank???? WTF??? did he get off and push it most of the way.

Rob
Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 1,951
I have been to Crackow a couple of times in the Land Rover.. how many K's from Kilcoy to there your way?

Cheers

Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
unco
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Nice work there D Dog thanks to u martin n paul for a top long w/end Bring on Damos GF
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,756
Ahhhh found it ..... more please Dusty

Thanks for the all the map crawling you did ... roll on the next time

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,139

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
Dusty Rhodes OP
Yowie Chaser

More to follow but in the meantime...

Hmmm Hardy, upon reflection Martin's standard bike/tank propelled him 230k's as he was 26k short of Cracow. Durong to Cracow was 256k and he would have made it but for our wrong turn.

Snapper, Kilcoy to the Crack was 450k which includes 30k of miss-placement.

Cheers all.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Nice choices

Respect to the DR massive

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,507
awesome dusty
i been lost in hawkwood!
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Dusty Rhodes OP
Yowie Chaser

The crows woke us up to a beautiful day.

So we took off for a bimble to find some treasure.

Most of the buildings were about to fall down. This is the old Billard Saloon.

It didn't happen.

That's the sign behind the bustop.

Treasure found.

It was time for a ride so at the crack of 10 we set off to the beach. 18k's up the Theodore Road we chucked a left on (dirt) Isla Delusion Rd.

Cracow Beach as the locals call it would be a great bush camp with large stands of palm trees.

Heaps of campsites but keep an eye on the weather as you can see the recent flood mark way above my head.

After leaving the beach we continued west.

This road/track joins up with the main Theodore/Taroom Rd which took us up to Isla George.

After the gorge we headed south to check out Lake Murphy but Graham ran out of fuel at the turnoff. IMS tank + stock DR = 368k's

Martin's stock tank to the rescue......what the ?

A quick fuel calculation had us all running out soon so we decided to head for Taroom which was 17k's away. Lake Murphy will have to wait.

Taroom Hotel doesn't do lunch so the servo got all our business. A quick pic at the "Leichardt Tree" and off east to the Cracow Rd.

The Cracow Road west to Nathan Gorge was excellent. No photos but as we came into Cracow we checked out the old hospital.

There's no problem in having a walk through any of the old buildings as all the research I did on the town actually encourages you to do so. So we did.

Yet more treasure.

OMG look at the time We hightail it to the rub-a-dub and Paul (Makadoo) has dropped in on his way home from Springsure.

After another $10 special roast (very good) and a $5 shower (for some) we relaxed out the back to tell tall but true tails.

And then like moths to the light they appeared from the darkness.

We had a bit of a sing song and old mate on the lagerphone had been asleep for the last 20 minutes but he never missed a beat.

Yes that is Damo's girlfriend in the background She was serving beers earlier in the afternoon and we couldn't drink em' fast enough...............works for me

Back inside later for a few games which Graham and I lost against the locals

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

We still had Mondays ride home On a different route of course. Tune in toomorrow or the next or maybe the next

Dusty Rhodes screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 02:51 PM
Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
Dusty Rhodes OP
Yowie Chaser

Thanks Will & Phil Not a bad place to get lost in.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,203

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Dusty Rhodes OP
Yowie Chaser

We de-camped and hit the road at 8am heading east 62k's to hit the dirt at Cheltenham rd. Down this road a bit I was looking to go left on McCords rd which would bring us out at Mundubbera. Cheltenham rd was a great track and a few k's in we came across a road closed sign but as we all know they are only there to keep the tourists out

Through a few washouts a track off to the left displayed a sign to Eidsvold hmmmm is that it... ? ...no I thought so we kept heading south to McCords rd........which we never found hmmmm maybe it was it ? I hmmmm a lot when I'm riding. hmmmmm

Oh well we linked up with Yerilla rd and came out on Hawkwood Rd. All excellent dirt roads up that way and too much fun riding hence no photos.

May as well stop into Auburn River N/P on the way to Mundy and here it is.

Cracow to Mundy this way was 160k's so we fueled up and headed south over the river, left on Boondooma rd then left on Gayndah/Mundy rd and found our way to McConnell lookout.

Martin got a little worried as he thought we were going to attempt to cross the river here

The bridge in the background was a better option.

McConnell Lookout with Gayndah in the distance.

Thanks for the pano Graham

Down the old favorite Gayndah/Hivesville rd BUT chucked a right near the end and went to Abbeywood/Proston and then the secret way to Gordonbrook and came out at Mt Wooroolin behind Kingaroy

More dirt rounds than you can shake a stick at and you can find all in here.

This is at Mt Wooroolin lookout where we prepared for a few showers that we could see in the east.

More back roads Semgreen/Kunioor rd brought us out at Nanango for fuel and stuff.

Mt Stanely rd to West Branch rd to Linville saw us back in Kilcoy around 5pm and 500k for the day.

Paul headed home to Brisbane and Martin to the Sunny Coast but for Graham and I we were home so it was time for us to get on it.....again

Another top ride in new country with a great crew. Thanks guys and remember what Dora says

Dusty Rhodes screwed with this post 05-08-2010 at 04:45 PM