Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #1306
notsoslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
Video compliation from some onboard mixed in with some stills etc. Make sure you click the higher 480p resolution, I tried for higher but my connection won't support uploading it at higher resolution but might try again later, it went all night to do it at this res;. http://youtu.be/l506VIL38Yg
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #1307
Dusty Kiwi
Kia Kaha

Oddometer: 58
Mrs Dusty Kiwi adding thanks

Only a few days to go before the boss gets home.
After finishing the rally in Marree the WA boys went sightseeing to Uluru (might as well) before starting the ride across the desert(s) home.
Thank you John for the real-time forum updates, they give the family back home peace of mind & an insight into conditions for the rider.... although my boss managed to find a pub most nights...he is very resourceful
It will be wonderful to have G home again after nearly a month away..and not just because the car is empty & I have had to mow the lawns...twice.. Safari next...?
Thank you once again from a grateful wife.
Mrs Dusty Kiwi
Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1308
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Thanks Mrs Dusty Kiwi I've enjoyed reading all the reports , good on your boys for an epic ride!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #1309
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
The high-definition version has finished being processed by youtube and can be seen here.
http://youtu.be/l506VIL38Yg?hd=1
Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #1310
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 297
There is a mob at byron bay called Trapp Tours who do a buy back deal on DR650's.
Not sure about hire.
This would be very handy to the Woodenbong start point.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #1311
NQJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Team Cairns is now home in Cairns after an epic drive through the night from Charleville. We hit a big roo near Aramac and stuffed the front bumper on the Prado, then had to rewire the trailer connection as the roo took that out on his way under the car.

We all had an absolute blast and are keen to come back for another go. The poor old XR rattled through the last 300km at about 80km/hr with some serious engine issues, but kept going long enough to make the finish.

I'll load up some photos on Spot Adventures and put up some links soon.

Any news on Steve Ryan?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #1312
ktmpunter
freefall guru

Oddometer: 74
good rear tyere option

[QUOTE=APC Rally;16555219]When the results of the best performing tyres get in form all the riders we will put it on here . The gps units have performed well. It seemed that many riders forgot to load the favourites onto there gps units and this had vital info about the course on it.
A few of the riders were a bit bummed that I didnt have an Apc rally rep at each start point to help with gps questions. The good thing is the first year was always going to be the hardest. Thankfully Australia is an island and at this point only one rider hit the ocean. In the coming years we will have riders who have done the apc rally and have now got gps experience so they will be able to help other riders at the start and on the course.
The Apc help line worked pretty well for riders and I think that half the field would not have finished if they were on there own ride without other riders on the course and did not have the APC team to help solve problems.
I will stand by my decision that support vehicles are not the way to do this rally it is designed to do unsupported. If you get into trouble you have to find solutions and the riders this year have done that. We did have vehicles on the course but it is no surprise to me that 85 % of the riders never saw these vehicles.

I did 4825klms before i went base over apex on a MOTOZ Ttractionator Desert HT on the rear of the 990 and itds still got at least another 1000klms on it, so it does go the distance. Not ideal in the mud , but a good choice none the less
Cheers
Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #1313
NQJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Here are some links to our photos from the last few days of the rally.

Days ten and eleven
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=270877

Days twelve and thirteen
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=270909

Days fourteen and fifteen
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=270917

Again, this was a special experience and thanks to John for the hard work in organising the whole show!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #1314
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
Thanks for the you tube footage

I just had a phone call from Team Caldwell who are Tenterfield and they are about to do the final leg in the rain. I went out to the ktm ride day in Queensland today. It seems that this years riders who will always be known as "The Origionals"have been followed by most of the offroad biking community in Australia. It seems a 7000 km course with no designated stops and a "camp where you drop" attitude is what people are really talking about. I like the fact that there is video footage of the course because I often get asked about the track and have a hard time explaining it.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #1315
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 748
Bike hire or buy back

I think Gold Coast Suzuki would be able to supply rental or buy back DRs
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #1316
BMWayne
old but slow

Oddometer: 129
I'd just like to thank...

Finished the APC Welding Tour yesterday Saturday 6/8.

What a journey, JD with a broken leg and spends a week in hospital, a blown shock on the G/S and no less than 4 separate visits to the welder to repair an over stressed rear sub frame.

Firstly thanks to Ray who looked after Jim until the ambulance had him safely on the juice, then Brownie and Curl (and some others I believe) who dropped in to vist.

Next there's Phil form Mungerannie for the use of his welder, then the young chap from Birdsville in the Road house garage who is a master welder and perfectionist for a beautiful repair (my weld failed again and again), then Stuart from Goondiwindi for a quick repair and finally Gary at Gingers Creek for a heavy duty weld job. The bike now has bolts welded to the sub frame and only answers to the name 'Herman'.

What a fantastic ride, some really scenic sections, some challenging sections and some transport. I rode most of the rally with Ray whom I met at the Bathurst start, he's a patient man and an all round good bloke. (the super ten is a bit heavy to push in the sand though)

And last but not of all least John Hudson for putting on this great event and providing support when needed. If the planets align next year I'll be back at the start, with 1000cc pots, a taller 5th gear and a substantially stronger frame.

And now some photos..

JD with 2 legs working - Tumut to Tumberumba
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #1317
BMWayne
old but slow

the border track junction (with the Coulson?)
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #1318
BMWayne
old but slow

on the way to Can-O-Puss and Yunta
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #1319
BMWayne
old but slow

The Flinders