User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #1501
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
I feel the cold and was planning on wearing a electric vest on the rally. Installed and worked like a charm then the controller went on the fritz because a couple of wires were pinched and shorted it out. so I was back to layering.

I left canberra wearing on top:

ss merino t shirt
ls merino t shirt
ls tech cycle top
Patagnia windproof puffy pullover
pressure suit
goretex jacket

this was the best mix of layers with minimal bulk so I could wear the neck brace comfortably. I wore only the ss tshirt base layer (under the pressure suit and jacket) one afternoon in queensland and various combos in between. They also pack away easy when not in use. Of course, this wasn't a really technical ride so there was only a couple of instances where I was sweating. I'll be making this my normal winter upper body layer from this point on.

Bottom layer, merino jocks, thick compression tights and goretex pants every day.

For me, this was ideal but it's very personal.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #1502
BMWayne
old but slow

Oddometer: 128
John

The farmer(s) were OK, the road(?) had been repaired with no major effects. A bottle of single malt helped but really these people were fantastic, they washed the bike, his cloths and boots. Gotta love country folk!

I've got a leave pass for next year..... now need to get my hands on a mig welder!

Re riding gear: Parts of the track were cold (snow) and parts hot (32 C on the bore track), so you need a good layering system. I used a dual sport helmet with goggles and sunnies as required. (the visor all but seals with goggles in place, so no need to stop when the track opens up - its the warmest option). I have a waterproof jacket with good armour, ventilation and thermal liner (had it about 10 years now), it covers all situations well. In the cold places I wore a tee shirt, thermal top and the jacket, when hot - vents open with a tee shirt. I have a good set of ventilated pants with gortex liner, then bicycle shorts with or with out thermals depending on temperature range. (i picked up an aldi wool mid layer - good quality and about $100 cheaper than my kiwi one. Also had a kidney belt on, it keeps you nice and warm as well as keeping your inards in place. Good gloves, gortex for wet / cold and ventialted for the hot bits. My heated grips worked a treat - I'll never own another bike with out them. My boots have a waterproof liner as well - no wet feet at creek crossings or if it goes wrong your feet are inside a swiming pool.

What a fantastic ride, cant wait to do it again.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #1503
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
New Garmin Gps

This Gps is dearer than the 62s but it has a larger screen and you could use it in your car like the zumo units.
Because it has a touch screen and is waterproof and has a 5meg camera, I would be happy to reccommend this unit for rally riders.
I think the price is about $790 the shops are just starting to get supplies in Australia now. The dual battery system and the wireless data transfer really make this a great alternative for people who were finding the smaller gps units difficult to read.

http://sites.garmin.com/montana/
Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #1504
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by APC Rally View Post
This Gps is dearer than the 62s but it has a larger screen and you could use it in your car like the zumo units.
Because it has a touch screen and is waterproof and has a 5meg camera, I would be happy to reccommend this unit for rally riders.
I think the price is about $790 the shops are just starting to get supplies in Australia now. The dual battery system and the wireless data transfer really make this a great alternative for people who were finding the smaller gps units difficult to read.

I likely - I have been looking that would be like the old 276 in screen size. This might be it. Johnny Appleseed has them for 730 + 45 for the mount. GPS OZ hasn't got them on their website yet, but I would imagine it will be too long.

BTW I had an e-mail exchange with the Trippy Guys. No AU maps on the unit, but you can load raster maps into their software. So not much good for exploring, but fantastic for using as a digital road book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #1505
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Difficulty ready gps - Solution

I need reading glasses and had no trouble seeing my garmin 62s. This is what I did. I bought a pair of those cheap reading glasses from the chemist, I took the lenses out of them and fitted to my goggle frames with silicone. They sit inside the lens and towards the bottom so when you look down you get the magnification and when you look ahead your line of sight is clear of the lens. Just like wearing glasses low on your nose. I actually bought reading glasses just a little stronger than I normally read.
Now; I glued them with a fair amount of siicone in one location only next to the nose area. That way they will move/flex enough to wipe the inside of the lens as necessary. This is about a 15 dollar fix and is pretty simple.
I can post a photo if anyone is interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APC Rally View Post

Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #1506
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundAus View Post
I need reading glasses and had no trouble seeing my garmin 62s. This is what I did. I bought a pair of those cheap reading glasses from the chemist, I took the lenses out of them and fitted to my goggle frames with silicone. They sit inside the lens and towards the bottom so when you look down you get the magnification and when you look ahead your line of sight is clear of the lens. Just like wearing glasses low on your nose. I actually bought reading glasses just a little stronger than I normally read.
Now; I glued them with a fair amount of siicone in one location only next to the nose area. That way they will move/flex enough to wipe the inside of the lens as necessary. This is about a 15 dollar fix and is pretty simple.
Photosoossss ?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1507
yetiandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundAus View Post
For those of you that, like me, need reading glasses to comfortably read a gps, I can recommend a peruse at the online seller linked below. These bifocal safety glasses are the go I reckon. (Bifocal as in a reading profile included in the lower part of an otherwise plain lens.) I use the Elvex Sonoma type for my relatively narrow face with a reading strength of 0.5 less than my normal reading glasses. (For the reason that the GPS is slightly further away than where a page would usually be so the slightly longer focal length is perfect for me.) They are also fairly cheap from this supplier although the postage will roughly double the price but still remain as outstanding value. Also available are stick on reading lenses (I think with water) so you can convert a normal pair of sunglasses to bifocals if you prefer to do that.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html#top

I hope this helps some of you.

Andrew
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #1508
xrxtz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Another way that works for me is to get prescription lenses fitted to normal safety glasses frames(picked up from a safety /work wear shop take them to the eye crutch shop(optometrist ) to check the bend etc which is very iimportant when you get the best pair buy a few spares for Parts(chuck them in your tank bag back pack etc) and away you go. Much more cost effective(cheap $30-40 frames +lenses $200 v $300+ lenses$200) and last a lot longer than normal glasses also doesn't hurt as much when the get broken/squashed etc. Get transition lenses and sunnies are covered as well. Because they are close fitting they work under goggles as well as visors you just need the over glass type goggles which are a bit wider.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #1509
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Goggles with reading glasses lenses glued in.

This photo shows the bigger lenses behind the tinted goggle lens. You can see I was not so tidy with the silicone but it was not in the line of sight so was not a distraction in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Photosoossss ?
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #1510
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Reading glasses lenses in Goggles

This photo shows the smaller lenses. The bigger lenses were actually better than these ones. With these smaller ones I found I had to get my head in the right position to read the instruments and GPS. With the bigger lenses, I had actually already trimmed them down a bit as they were from a full sized set of glasses. Easy enough as the lenses are plastic. It would be easier to be shopping in less of a rush though and just buy the right size lense in the first place.
Quote:
Photosoossss ?
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #1511
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Reading lenses in goggles

This is a close up shot showing where I glued the lenses on. Each lense is glued at on point only, on the nose section of the goggle frame inside the goggle lens. I actually tried to get my reading lenses to sit on the goggle frame on the other end where the lense is not glued. I also was happy for the reading lense to be touching the goggle lense on the outer end as well. This just helps it stay in position and it is not going to be a problem if it scratches the goggle lense at that point anyway. I found I had to glue the reading lense so it was as close to my face/nose as possible and keep the outer edge of the lense as close to the goggle lense as possible. This way you keep the reading lenses square to the eye. If you don't do this you will be looking through the lense at an angle and the vision becomes distorted. So where I glue the lense to the frame it is half on the frame and half on the foam, but the lense pretty much touches the goggle lense at the other end of the reading lense.
Quote:
Photosoossss ?
Attached Images

AllAroundAus screwed with this post 08-19-2011 at 07:42 PM Reason: Photo did not upload
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #1512
Bullamakanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Been using a set of purpose built specs from http://www.goggleman.com.au/index.htm . Been great so far and have saved me destroying glasses thru dust etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #1513
BMWayne
old but slow

Oddometer: 128
just day dreamin'

Marree
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #1514
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,284
You know I am actually tempted to consider this I would probably win last in. It would be a huge struggle unless I have improved a lot by then but I assume I will have. I just will need to see how I go getting my crap sorted between now and say January, know where I will be etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #1515
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Great Photo of Maree Pub

The photo of the Maree Pub reminded me of a trip I did about 20 years ago. My mate on an XLV750 crashed on the track outside town. We had a big night on the turps in Arkaroola and I think he dosed off. Anyway after pasting his Honda back together with duct tape and zip ties, we spent a night at the pub. It rained overnight so we took the publican's advice and headed South. It was slippery as anything. My DR650RS was doing full lock slides once the knobby tyres filled with mud.

This brings me to the point of my post. Being a dirt bike rider who rides 250's, I have decided to use a DRZ400 in the 2012 APC, I was wondering if anyone who rode a DRZ has any hints on bike set up for the event.
Closed Thread