Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #1516
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
The Yunta Starters Ride Report

G'Day All,

Finally starting to catch up with the day to day stuff since finishing the rally and managed to do up my first ever ride report. Here's the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485

Thanks to John for putting up my photos on his Smugmug account, buggered if I know how to do it.
APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #1517
JayHenderson
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi XRman
I rode a DRZ400 in this years rally. 1 of only 2. I had no real dramas. In the tighter terrain it was brilliant. Especialy in the sand of Murry Sunset National Park. Will you be riding a new one? Well there is the usual bash plates, barkbusters, handle bars, ect. How ever I just have to say get your gearing right. I ran a 15t front and 45t rear but changed the rear to a 42t in Woodonga. Don't get caught up with to much gear. Definatly get a rear luggage rack. And I can't speak highly enough of the Giant Loop Coyote bags. I am a light weight so I did nothing to the suspension. But I would however at least reccomend you go 1 size up on the front fork springs. If you have any more questions feel free to drop me a line.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #1518
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Thanks JH

Your feedback on gearing is really useful. I was concerned that the DRZ might not pull 15/44 well in the sandy sections. As a fall back, I was going to take a 14T front sprocket, which is equivalent to 15/47 that I am running now. This leaves first low enough for walking pace riding in the tight stuff and 5th OK for 100 KPH without over revving it. Just as a matter of interest, what was your open road cruisng speed approximately?

MY DRZ is one year old but it hasn't hit 1,000 KM yet. The joy of having >1 bike and the WRF290 is more suited to the local trails.

I have stronger springs both ends and altered valving. It feels like a 500MX without the load, but fine with the Safari tank and panniers loaded. I did add a rear rack from Whipps Alloy but I am only putting bike spares on this inside a Rolie bag ( 12L size) I have my camping gear in two paniers ( small size) from Steel pony with a simple side bar to keep them away from the wheel. I will carry my clothes in a backpack to keep the weight off the rear subframe.

I have done the usual set up stuff for the DRZ ( bar risers/ stronger bars/ barkbusters etc) plus I have fitted a seat concepts wider seat, a throttle lock cruise control and a 400mm Eagle screen. I even found an old set of finger fenders from Ballards that I have ziptied to my Bark busters for wind protection. (never throw out old stuff).

I am surprised that only two DRZ400s entered the APC rally this year. Were there any Yamaha WR250Rs entered?
I guess it comes down to your physical size, your riding experience/background, and bike preference when it comes to choosing your mount. Memories of the physical effort required to avoid tank slappers in deep sand on my DR650RS and the mental strain incurred, plus my Simpson crossing on a Suzi DR380 which was easy, all influenced my mid -size bike choice. That is, choose a bike for the hard parts and put up with the lack of comfort in the easy bits.

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #1519
Boy Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Have just done the last couple of nights reading this thread and doing a lot of research on entering this year rally.
Would a R1150GSA be able to complete the course as the only 2 beemers that I can see entered is an HP2 and R80? I currently have a GS in the shed wanting some work and this realy looks like a ride of a life time.
Also did anyone use tubless TK80 tyres?
From what I can see on the ytube I think it would be able to handle it but I will have a lot of gym work to be done for pick up the loaded bike in the next 6 months before the rally.
PEE WEE 50,CRF450 Motard
Old 01-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #1520
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Would a R1150GSA be able to complete the course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Racer View Post
Have just done the last couple of nights reading this thread and doing a lot of research on entering this year rally.
Would a R1150GSA be able to complete the course as the only 2 beemers that I can see entered is an HP2 and R80? I currently have a GS in the shed wanting some work and this realy looks like a ride of a life time.
Also did anyone use tubless TK80 tyres?
From what I can see on the ytube I think it would be able to handle it but I will have a lot of gym work to be done for pick up the loaded bike in the next 6 months before the rally.
There is quite a bit of technical stuff, and this year will likely have a fair amount of sand, however that will be able to be by passed I think by just going down the Birdsville Track. I reckon you would enjoy it more on something like a DR650 or DRZ400.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1521
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
The bmw would be some work

The course would be a real challenge on a big bmw but if I had one in my garage and i was happy with the bike I would definetly use it in the rally. When I did safaris we saw guys spending big dollars on gear and in some cases they then could not afford to do the event.
The rally is designed so people can pull what ever bike they have in there garage out and go and have a crack. Sure there are bikes that are better than others but we are not racing and a great deal of respect can be earned by those who just make do with the gear that they have. I would love to see some vintage bikes take the course on. We have a sidecar team just working out logistics now .
A smart person does not go into the outback with dodgy gear but a rider who knows there machine really well and wants to do the rally on the bike they love is something that we will always promote.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #1522
Boy Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks for the reply. I'm in. Now starts the preperation.
PEE WEE 50,CRF450 Motard
Closed Thread