Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111
can you travel in teams. ie utilizing one spot and potentially gps units. this would save costs. looks fantastic.14 days off 1 month before i get married, i could say its my bucks trip
They seemed quite adamant that all entrants had to have a GPS and a spot. They might be on a kickback from one of the dealers..
Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #17
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
At the end of the day when your gear is checked digga and you produce a Spot make sure you put it down where nobody would pick it up and present it as their own
you couldnt cause each rider would have a spot registered . so if 200 people entered and there where only 100 spot trips i reckon they'd be askin questions. you could easily travel in a team of ,say5, start and finish in a group using 1 spot and 1 gps.a saving of about $2500 between the five.
thats a pallet of beer for the after party
Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #18
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
It's a nice idea.

I understand that its probably taken a lot of time to organize this and its no doubt cost them a lot of money but the cost is just to much for what you get.
If they raised the cost a bit and added a few sweep trucks and gave some assurance of being rescued if it goes tits up then maybe the cost would not seem to bad but as it is your paying a crap load of money for some gps way points and a T shirt.

They have probably burned up thousands of dollars worth of tires and fuel just to figure out the route so they are quite justified asking that amount of dosh but saying that I could get some track logs of a mate that would cost nothing and do a similar ride.

Its a shame they dont use route sheets instead of a gps.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #19
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,336
mate i got no probs with the cost of the event what so ever, in fact i reckon its cheap. just dont see the point in every one buying a spot and never using it again.i have a couple of mates( 2 actually) that dont have a spot and a gps.If we could travel as a TEAM it would save them $1000 each for the trip and they would be registered on 1 spot. apparently its not a race. if its a genuine safety issue for what ever reason then so be it. if in teams pay an extra nomination fee and give to a charity or some thing.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #20
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,404
The way I see it, if you're the only rider starting from Yunta or Mt Dare for example,and the trip is done in one direction, you would be unlikely to see another rider, which would make it a lonely trip
Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #21
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
Question about insurance:
Will standard fully comp insurance still be valid or will the insurers consider this as a competative event if you have an accident especially as a prerequisite for the Rally is to have an MA National License.

The entry fee is a difficult one, maybe like the Clem 7 tunnel in here Brisbane, if they bring the price down more people will go and it will be a more significant event and make more money for the organisers in the long run rather than a smaller group of the richest riders.

Could the spot trackers be used against us for speeding ??

http://www.jet-metal.com

El Ponkin screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 04:29 PM
Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #22
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,790
will keep an eye on this

White pig

Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I'm in !

Brilliant idea. What an adventure, seeing heap of different country, maybe extreme weather conditions, maybe break downs, bit of competative spirit, meeting heap of like minded riders, pitting your self against nature and what it happens to through your way, challenging yorself against the enviroment, camping out, helping each other if things turn to shit. After all, isn't this what we call an ADVENTURE, this is an ADVENTURE RIDERS FORUM isn't it ?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #24
grimbolius
Mass Debater

Oddometer: 208
awesome

Bugger, if I wasnt already doing a 2 week trip thru Cambodia I would be up for this.........
Old 07-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #25
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
I would be in this for sure but will be over seas. I think the cost is fine, and a GPS and Spot is something I wouldn't go bush without anyway.

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #26
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagati
I would be in this for sure but will be over seas. I think the cost is fine
hmmm might really be time for me to dust off the bike again.

how do you fit a swag in a dry bag

by the by, i absolutely refuse to use (and therefore carry) a sleeping bag so i guess that disqualifies me? i hate the bloody things and haven't used one since primary school.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #27
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I'm gonna have as crack- Lamb chop cant get rid of me quick enough!!! Besides John's a real estate agent -----Trust him/us

edit Re: MA Licence- have just read up on that and after riding for 30 odd years I have to Join a club -membership =$$$$ then I have to perform infront of some official with a practical test on how to start stop and ride a figure 8!!!
Think its just about put me off.
Already the beauracrats have taken over. I ride to get away from that shit

TimbobSA screwed with this post 07-04-2010 at 06:16 AM
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #28
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse

by the by, i absolutely refuse to use (and therefore carry) a sleeping bag so i guess that disqualifies me? i hate the bloody things and haven't used one since primary school.

James !

What'a yar thoughts on underwear ?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
Any chance the organisers can arrange group deals for some stuff like spot trackers, GPS, tyres etc through inmates of the forum ??

http://www.jet-metal.com
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
clarky
05' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin
Any chance the organisers can arrange group deals for some stuff like spot trackers, GPS, tyres etc through inmates of the forum ??
I reckon that if there is enough of us on board that we could organise this sort of stuff ourselves.

I am sure that there would be some inmates down round Albury way who would be happy to let people change tyres at their place......Burnie might be able to come on board with Spot's if we buy enough of them, most of us already have a GPS of sorts (and a Zumo or similiar will do the trick...its just the 60's are a cheap way in)

I reckon it is a great idea and a darn side cheaper than shipping my bike to WA to do the safari adventure tour......and alot more riding to boot.
Closed Thread