Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #31
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong

What'a yar thoughts on underwear ?
Definitely looks the goods on the right girls...

I'd most likely bring all the spare clothes home clean. My theory is if you need clean clothes then buy em. A trip like that I'd kit up with thermals, t shirt, full leathers, leather boots and rain gear and except for removing the rain gear when not needed I'd probably stay in those clothes 24/7 till I find a suitable spring like dalhousie.

FFS it's not a beauty contest!

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 07-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #32
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 277
Why the MA licence if its not a race/contest? Overseas riders just don't need the hassle cause I bet if one doesn't have an Ozzi drivers licence, or rego or PoI of some sort, then MA wouldn't look at us?

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #33
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim
Why the MA licence if its not a race/contest? Overseas riders just don't need the hassle cause I bet if one doesn't have an Ozzi drivers licence, or rego or PoI of some sort, then MA wouldn't look at us?
It is for the insurance, many of the Non Competitive events run with them eg Cannonball Ride, Dalby Moto rides etc.

That said I am surprised that they are not offering a once off event licence.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
Beefhooked
Old Fart

Oddometer: 89
Woodenbong

Quote:
"The route will be following the Great Dividing Range from Mt Hotham in Victoria to Woodenbong in Queensland."
Always thought Woodenbong was in NSW - maybe they moved it?

R1100GS
R100GSPD sold
72 H2 2 stroke
RGV XTZ Project 4 sale
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #35
Shmerel
™

Oddometer: 11,152
the absence of back-up facilities (and the smell that for $5k it's all care but no responsibiluty) makes this a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #36
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
the absence of back-up facilities (and the smell that for $5k it's all care but no responsibiluty) makes this a recipe for disaster.
Well why dont you get down off your high horse or little pony and offer some pro bono work to tighten things up!!

Richard I cant ride for shit but if you need a hand let me know would be happy to put some time towards this event!

Regards

Leith

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #37
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
From what I can see you are paying $1000-$1300 for a GPS route that we don't get till the night before the event. That route must just be on all public land and not go through any locked gates, so what is "special" about it.

Please elaborate on the "special-ness" of the route so I know what I am paying for.

And as it really is only a route - why can't I do this anytime? I may not be available on the specific dates.

I mean I already have a bike,GPS and all the gear I need to do a ride. I can plan a ride out from maps and go try to do it myself. Weather conditions will always dictate last minute changes in any ride. Who is this ride aimed at?

These are genuine questions and I am not trying to bag the organiser at all. At present I am not seeing the "scoop" here......

If I pay $1300 for a "mystery tour" it may well be worth it especially if I don't have to do any route planning myself. But if it turns out to be on tracks/roads that I have ridden before, then maybe not.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #38
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,514
specialness

"The course is a big loop so riders will start and finish at the same point which will be close to where they live. All riders shall cover the same distance so times can be compared. "

that sounds kinda special
even tho its not a race aye homer
Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema
It is for the insurance, many of the Non Competitive events run with them eg Cannonball Ride, Dalby Moto rides etc.

That said I am surprised that they are not offering a once off event licence.
Ok, so I still don't get it.

You see, every bike will have CTP, every rider is required to have medico/evacuation insurance themselves, right? WTF's left to insure?

I know first hand how hard Ozzi make it for non-residents to get CTP, regos, insurance, drivers licences, so now we need a 'competition licence' for what is a tour? What more insurance could we possibly need, other than a bigger lead in time to consider the course?

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #40
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Yeah but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim
Ok, so I still don't get it.

You see, every bike will have CTP, every rider is required to have medico/evacuation insurance themselves, right? WTF's left to insure?

I know first hand how hard Ozzi make it for non-residents to get CTP, regos, insurance, drivers licences, so now we need a 'competition licence' for what is a tour? What more insurance could we possibly need, other than a bigger lead in time to consider the course?
Yes but, this insurance is not for you...technically.

CTP does not cover the organisers from lawsuits if someone decides to sue them as they organised the ride.

Am secretary of a road riding m/c club. As organisers or committee members we can be liable for any toss that crashes and chooses not to live by the Credo of "Taking responsibility for ones own actions" and sues the event organisers(see note below). MA has made provision for social motorcycle clubs and ride organisers to allow for Insurance coverage in this respect.

As a condition, one either has to be an affiliated club OR get an MA license.

Our road club is affiliated...but for the Wild Boar we got rec licenses.

Shawty
Note: There was big who-hah years ago when road riders were getting jittery because on some email forum, somebody said "Lets go for a ride Sat"..some toss turns up and crashes his brains out and tries to sue old mate who sent the e-mail. In this instance I think it was thrown out as it was deemed a social thing...but from a club or actual organised ride I'd go the insurance, with the MA sign on sheet...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,592
No, upon reading and re reading the information I think it's waaaaay to pricey for what u get
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #42
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo
No, upon reading and re reading the information I think it's waaaaay to pricey for what u get
I think judging by the first post and philth's post, both these people know the organiser, that this is just a race, but they don't want to call it that due to liability issues. But, it's also an adventure ride if you don't want to race.

I don't know him. But I have had email contact a long while ago. He is the guy who started AMSAR (search and rescue on trailbikes) and he has also tried to get one-way tracks and loops organised in state forests etc, maybe this is the result of that long and wide-ranging effort. The man is obviously a very keen rider and excellent organiser of things so he is definitely not to be dismissed lightly.

I'd just like to know alot more about the route before I pays me money that's all.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #43
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 241
Stopwatches

I'm suprised "times can be compared" is even mentioned. I tried once to organise a "consistency run". Basically an enduro loop, ride 4 laps at your own pace. Closest 4 times wins.
DSMRA were nervous as it was "timed", so I think we ended up using MA rally licenses.

Also ran a poker run on the same course through DSMRA as it was definately non competetive. Organisers and landowners were covered and DSMRA membership went up.

MA is very inconsistent between states making this sort of thing frustrating. Eg MA Vic puts the insurance cost on licenses, MA SA puts in on the club event permits. Result in our area (VIC/SA border) is club events can't even break even in SA.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #44
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
it's not a race but I bet i can go faster than............well somebody, possibly somebody whose bike breaks down

Side bets should cover some costs

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #45
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,859
I have met John in passing on a couple rides - he seems like a decent bloke. One the rides was an AMSAR ride - the course was a hoot! I would expect no less from this ride. I have plenty of other riding commitments next year so I am not sure that I can make it.

If you compare the overall estimated cost of about $4500-$5000 grand it compares well to other rides.

Magnus's tours about $4000 + plus booze for 14 days
Cannonball about $4000 + booze for 12 days which includes donation to Endeavour (vested interest I am one ride leaders for this one).
KTM Trail Tours are about $2200 for seven days.

Being involved with the Cannonball Ride I know it takes a fair bit of effort to do the tracks. Usually an initial scouting + rerun, with the initial scouting taking maybe 2 days for each day ridden. There is a lot effort.

So yeah I think it is worth it. And unlike other organised rides you will get to keep the track log after the event (its in your GPS after all) so you can ride what ever parts of it are on public roads until you heart is content.
Closed Thread