Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #46
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo
No, upon reading and re reading the information I think it's waaaaay to pricey for what u get
i reckon its not so bad. the 5k scares ya a little but that would be total cost including fuel and food and beer and , and . the event is only 1200 bucks. if the route is awsome id pay that in a flash.(bloody lotta work for that distance of good riding). so even with the MA licence and gps and spot ( if you dont already have one) its still only 2 grand for 14 days. + expences.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema
So yeah I think it is worth it. And unlike other organised rides you will get to keep the track log after the event (its in your GPS after all) so you can ride what ever parts of it are on public roads until you heart is content.
That's what I want to know. How much is not on public roads? I suspect none of it. But hopefully someone in the know will be able to enlighten us here.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
it's not a race but I bet i can go faster than............well somebody, possibly somebody whose bike breaks down

Side bets should cover some costs
Can I put my money on you breaking down??

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #49
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil
Can I put my money on you breaking down??
I don't care how I get your money DR boy

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #50
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40
I don't know him. But I have had email contact a long while ago. He is the guy who started AMSAR (search and rescue on trailbikes) and he has also tried to get one-way tracks and loops organised in state forests etc, maybe this is the result of that long and wide-ranging effort. The man is obviously a very keen rider and excellent organiser of things so he is definitely not to be dismissed lightly.
Just google "John Hudson Australian Safari" for some more background on the organiser.

http://www.jet-metal.com
Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #51
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40
I think judging by the first post and philth's post, both these people know the organiser, that this is just a race, but they don't want to call it that due to liability issues. But, it's also an adventure ride if you don't want to race.
Trouble is it only takes one shrewd copper on an outback road to take us all to the cleaners and it would be a bummer to do 7000kms at the speed limit.
As long as Kougar rides point to take the ticket for the rest of us we should be good !!

http://www.jet-metal.com
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #52
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950
Yes but, this insurance is not for you...technically.

CTP does not cover the organisers from lawsuits if someone decides to sue them as they organised the ride.

Am secretary of a road riding m/c club. As organisers or committee members we can be liable for any toss that crashes and chooses not to live by the Credo of "Taking responsibility for ones own actions" and sues the event organisers(see note below). MA has made provision for social motorcycle clubs and ride organisers to allow for Insurance coverage in this respect.

As a condition, one either has to be an affiliated club OR get an MA license.

Our road club is affiliated...but for the Wild Boar we got rec licenses.

Shawty
Note: There was big who-hah years ago when road riders were getting jittery because on some email forum, somebody said "Lets go for a ride Sat"..some toss turns up and crashes his brains out and tries to sue old mate who sent the e-mail. In this instance I think it was thrown out as it was deemed a social thing...but from a club or actual organised ride I'd go the insurance, with the MA sign on sheet...
Got that thanks Shawty, some gits are startn to suggest the same may happen here soon.

I wonder if any of the razor sharp lawyers here could save us all a shit load and design a holeproof disclaimer form that is part of the entry? Thats wot we get on organised(properly) rides here( not ur day out with mates ride yet!!)

Any more Australian beaurocracy just makes it harder for foreigners to join in ( or is that part of the plan......................................?)

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #53
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
As Posted on DBW by hudson

This was posted by "hudson" on DBW. Maybe he is not a member here. "Hunter" asked the question as to what do you get besides a GPS route - same as what I asked here. I think the answer is below. ANd boiled down,it is just a GPS route, but a good one.

What do you get for your money.

Hunter to put the track together has taken approximately 100 days so far. The riders will have the peace of mind that the route is suitable for an adventure bike and that the fuel distances are correct. You wont have the uncomfortable feeling of being on a private property without permission or getting lost. You also have a route that will test the ability of riders and the safety net is that you know there will be other riders on the route ready to help if you get into trouble. The rally h.q will also be tracking all competitors during the event and shall organise help when required. The desert crossing is requiring a remote fuel stop and their shall be a desert camp set up where a vehicle will be sweeping the route in the desert . There will also be a team environment where the team with the highest percentage of finishers will win the event. I think the main reason people come to an event like this is the same reason people go to a safari and that is they want to test themselves. I can suggest that from experience that very few people enter a safari thinking they could win it and to tell you the truth my highlight after a few events was when I was overtaken by Andy Caldecott and i could see first hand how good he reall was. Its not a race but i can suggest that you will see some pretty handy riders out on the track. Most riders will find someone to ride with at their same pace and the intersting part of this event is that they could be from another country or at least another state and unlike most racing you could be camping with that person on the side of a creek with a fire going and i think that is pretty cool. To break it down $30k entry to dakar and another $50 k to play, so that stays a dream for most. I appreciate what you say because it motivates me to make the ride as good as I can. I am not giving this money to charity I am using it to try and build one of the most respected rallys on the planet and the key is "no assistance" because this creates a level playing field.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #54
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
I've been thinking that this might be alright and a bit of fun.

Extra costs for me over a normal two weeker would be less than $2k

entry $1200
M.A license $280
Event insurance $160  
Bike insurance that includes recovery $280

I may have missed this information but I assume it's one way and clockwise given there's a start at Mt Dare?

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #55
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 467
I am in!

Cant furkin wait!

This is a brilliant idea/event and you should all get your sorry old ass's up and enter.

Stu

Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #56
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 808
I'd love to go but I don't think my finances would cope. The route listed as 'challenging' is a worry for me too, as I don't rate my abilities that highly.

The organising the route and having some poor bugger sit in the middle of the desert with a pile of fuel cans has to be worth something.

Pencil me in for 2012.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #57
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,153
Now that we know a little bit more about the organiser, it's starting to look OK. You have to admire people who put a lot of time and effort into our sport.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #58
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,517
the organiser travels light
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #59
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,153
Count me in
Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #60
Linc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Reading through this I keep coming back to the one question.......whats the point?

It's a dawn till dusk ride, ride as far as you can in a day, sleep where you drop......do it for a week.

What if I finish in 6 days instead of 7 ?. Does anybody win? ....... again, whats the point?

I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm up for a good ride but; I really dont get it.