Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #61
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc
Reading through this I keep coming back to the one question.......whats the point?

I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm up for a good ride but; I really dont get it.
Why do people do the Iron Butt, City to Surf or go as a privateer in the Dakar?

Its a challenge and prove to themselves they can do it. Most have no hope of winning but they go to see if they can complete it.

Nothing but Bragging rights really.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #62
Linc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyks
Why do people do the Iron Butt, City to Surf or go as a privateer in the Dakar?

Its a challenge and prove to themselves they can do it. Most have no hope of winning but they go to see if they can complete it.

Nothing but Bragging rights really.
Thats fine but those events do have winners, even if us mortals dont have a chance.........what would make me the winner of this event?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #63
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,698
Quote:
Thats fine but those events do have winners, even if us mortals dont have a chance.........what would make me the winner of this event?
There will be a winner, maybe John 'Homer' Hudson?
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #64
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:

It's a dawn till dusk ride, ride as far as you can in a day, sleep where you drop......do it for a week.
From the information provided, there will be 14 days to finish the ride, which averages about 500km a day. Fairly easy going if you want it to be. I am sure there will be riders that will go flat out and finish it in a week and there will be others like me that will do it just to see if they can.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #65
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,279
i reckon you lot are over analizing it. i would say its about participation. being on the road for 14 days with like minded people doing a similar thing. tackling the elements and adversity. camping along a river bank around a fire and comparing blisters for the day, having a laugh,telling some stories (an adventure really). now i understand that most from NSW will not get the tackling part but that shouldnt stop you entering.(a queenslander will be along soon enough to show you how)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #66
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111
i reckon you lot are over analizing it. i would say its about participation. being on the road for 14 days with like minded people doing a similar thing. tackling the elements and adversity. camping along a river bank around a fire and comparing blisters for the day, having a laugh,telling some stories (an adventure really). now i understand that most from NSW will not get the tackling part but that shouldnt stop you entering.(a queenslander will be along soon enough to show you how)
I understand and appreciate all of that. And I am coming around to the fact that a GPS route (if it's good) and a fuel up in the Simpson is certainly worth a payment. But if two of us want to do it, that's $2000 minimum. My missus just usually follows, she doesn't have her own GPS, although I do have enough that she could use one of my old ones, but will that be compatible with the download (Tom Tom Rider, Zumo 550, Magellan Meridian Platinum)? Then we both have to have a Spot. I plan on sticking together. Can we enter as a team for a discount is all I'm asking?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #67
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40
I understand and appreciate all of that. And I am coming around to the fact that a GPS route (if it's good) and a fuel up in the Simpson is certainly worth a payment. But if two of us want to do it, that's $2000 minimum. My missus just usually follows, she doesn't have her own GPS, although I do have enough that she could use one of my old ones, but will that be compatible with the download (Tom Tom Rider, Zumo 550, Magellan Meridian Platinum)? Then we both have to have a Spot. I plan on sticking together. Can we enter as a team for a discount is all I'm asking?
mate ,these are my thoughts exactly and i asked this in post 16 and was answered in post 28. cheers.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #68
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111
mate ,these are my thoughts exactly and i asked this in post 16 and was answered in post 28. cheers.
Yes and No. For some teams who want to race that may be the case. But it is also aimed at those who want to stick together and do it at their own pace. I guess you have to want to do it his way, which means learning how to use a GPS for the missus - not sure she would be up for it. I could always go it alone I suppose.....
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #69
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Any South Aussies keen for this

I have all but decided to give this a crack, I need to do a shite load of work on fitness /skills etc but with 12 months reckon I can do it.
Would be keen to workin with others that would hook out from Yunta.
Why - at my age its time to stretch myself physically and mentally. I see this as a battle against myself the machine and the environment. With safety valves and also with "Time" being involved to push a result. Plus the opportunity to mingle with like minds. (as messed us as mine )
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #70
volsk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA
I have all but decided to give this a crack,
I am from Adelaide Timbob. It looks damn interesting. I think the money is worth it just for knowing there will be people running over the same roads. I have been contemplating crossing the Simpson for a few years but not having any friends that are willing to leave the tar it feels unsafe doing it solo. I wimped out on riding from Dargo to Mt Hotham when confronted with a snow covered track for the same reason. Having the knowledge that someone knows I am stuck would be enough confidence to at least tackle the really challenging stuff. I am not going to win anything. My sand strategy on a loaded adv bike consists of keeping the revs high and praying I don't hit the deck.

Matt
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #71
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
could be a couple of inmates from nz keen to do it
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #72
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,258
Is it East West or West East across the Simpson?

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #73
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Matt (Volsk)

I agree for the same reasons. I would like to think that we could put together a small group that would travel pretty much together to ensure we all got through. Strange me saying that in that I generally dont play with groups!!!
Also reckon that the route is anticlockwise just looking at the way they talk about heding up from Vic into Qld
Not sure about tackling the Simpson at the end think I would rather do it first up!!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM   #74
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo
Is it East West or West East across the Simpson?
I've asked the question through Richard whether it's one way and if so which. No reply as yet

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #75
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Finishing
Closed Thread