ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Fullcyc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Indiana Photo Tag ( Chat )

Hey all,
I thought I would go ahead and start this thread so that we could use it to talk about current, or past, Indiana Photo Tags without clogging up the actual photo tag thread.

Also, Thanks to "KillerDyller" we now have a new map to locate & plot past Indiana photo tags. At the moment the map is incomplete & is a work in progress. Anyone can edit the map & if you would like to help populate the map please only add past Indiana Photo Tags while keeping any additional information as valid as possible. Thank you...

Indiana Photo Tag ( Map ): https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1222791&add=1#

Please feel free to contribute at will...

Fullcyc screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 12:43 AM
Fullcyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
zamboni9
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
KillerDyller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Fullcyc, I have been to Merom bluff before. Awesome view, espiecially at night, Robinson refinery is lit up like a Christmas tree. Just a county away is Tulip trestle also, could be seen in the same loop as Merom if you've never seen it.

photo 5E4D2CF6-37E1-4851-BE03-AF8CA67C55B4_zpszdkvlxkh.jpg

photo EE03358D-490A-4E6F-BA0F-2F88D8CDF558_zpssypvhqyd.jpg
KillerDyller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
zamboni9
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Indiana Photo Tag ( Chat )

Good article and ride report from the trestle by good spark garage.

http://goodsparkgarage.com/ride-tulip-trestle/

http://vimeo.com/107116779
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
KillerDyller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Good link. I didn't realize it was that old. Also made me realize I need to upgrade cameras. Some damn good photography in that report.
KillerDyller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
randomride
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 458
We could have a DS ride to the bluff during the Chautauqua. I believe it is the first weekend in June.

2013 XTZ1200
1985 XT600 (work in progress)
randomride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
Fullcyc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny, I had thought about coming back from Riverton by heading east into that area but it being so late in the evening & already dark I stuck to U.S. 40, a road I know... I first saw the Tulip Trestle here on ADV about (3) years ago and it had been on my bucket list. We finally made it down that way back in May of this year. Another beautiful area for sure...

What is this " Chautauqua " you speak of?.. What is that?, Some type of festable... It would be neat to come up with a route covering several of the past tags. Another place high on my bucket list is the Wabash Cannon Ball Bridge southwest of Vincennes, IN. ( 3836'18.80" N 8737'36.50" W )

P.S.> I had thought about going after the current tag over the weekend but my feets have been cold!.. Stupid weather...

Fullcyc screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 03:01 AM
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
randomride
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcyc View Post
Funny, I had thought about coming back from Riverton by heading east into that area but it being so late in the evening & already dark I stuck to U.S. 40, a road I know... I first saw the Tulip Trestle here on ADV about (3) years ago and it had been on my bucket list. We finally made it down that way back in May of this year. Another beautiful area for sure...

What is this " Chautauqua " you speak of?.. What is that?, Some type of festable... It would be neat to come up with a route covering several of the past tags. Another place high on my bucket list is the Wabash Cannon Ball Bridge southwest of Vincennes, IN. ( 3836'18.80" N 8737'36.50" W )

P.S.> I had thought about going after the current tag over the weekend but my feets have been cold!.. Stupid weather...
The Merom Bluff Chautauqua has been going on for a long time. It is a festival/flea market that is held every year and all the locals come just to say hi to each other and eat some very good chicken/pork chops cooked on an open spit. It's not what it once was, but then again neither is the town. It's kinda like the corn festival in Sullivan, but the corn festival is a bit bigger.

2013 XTZ1200
1985 XT600 (work in progress)
randomride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
LukeMacPU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
This may be a better spot for it than the actual photo-tag thread, but someone had originally started a map of all the tags that could be accessed/updated by anyone.

This was a couple years ago in the Indiana Tag thread, I'll see if I can find it later. It got a little cumbersome with folks not wanting to add the tag immediately (totally giving away pinpoint location) and eventually it was forgotten/unused.

If there is a user friendly map website (google maps, etc...) that will let us start cataloging tags again, that would be sweet. It was pretty cool to have all the tags populated on a map (much like that route map) and made it easy to find cools stuff near wherever you planned to be riding.

Here's the link to the old tag map...

http://picasaweb.google.com/IN.ADVri...oTag/photo#map

1990 XT350

LukeMacPU screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 12:03 PM
LukeMacPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
Fullcyc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

randomride, Pork chops sound good. That would make a great place to stop for lunch/snack while out on a ride & June sounds pretty good about now too. It's fairly warm in June. lol...

LukeMacPU, Thanks for that link. I had seen that several years ago and had a link to it saved on my Desktop but somehow managed to loose it. Too bad it's not complete & we can't seem to add to it any longer?.. I just imported the info into my Google Earth program...

I'm up for a ride most any weekends & would like to do a bit more camping in the future. Don't have much time & can't seem to get too far away from home through the week. If interested, we could try and get a ride up for the spring, or summer, months. Maybe call it the "Indiana Tag-a-rama Ride" and do different routes through the years?..
Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #11
Fullcyc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great grab on the 4 arches bridge EnzoMatrix. & in the snow even...
Your new tag was a little hard for me to locate. Although I had found their website the day the tag was posted I couldn't find an address for the place so I did a little more searching and a little more snooping around on Google earth and finally found it. lol...

I have also found a few other points of interest nearby but out of respect I won't post up any info on it just yet. Anyone else located it yet?..

The weather's not looking good for the weekend but we'll see...

Fullcyc screwed with this post 11-21-2014 at 03:08 AM
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
EnzoMatrix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I was lost as usual when I ran across it. Fun roads to ride on in that area from
what i remember though. Pics might have gps info in them too. I didn't scrub them.
EnzoMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Fullcyc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shhhh,,, Your never lost. You just don't know exactly were you are...
Not sure yet but I may try to grab the "Windmills" tag tomorrow, (Saturday).

Found a few points of interest nearby such as the Dick Huffman Covered Bridge ( 3930'29.97" N 8657'27.87" W ) which is right at (4)miles north of the tag.

Cagles Mill Dam ( 3929'10.73" N 8655'02.29" W ) & the
Cagles Mill Dam Waterfall off of "W CoRd 1200 S?". ( 3929'10.71" N 8655'12.61" W ) are also fairly close by...
Not sure about the falls.. I can see pics of them on Google earth but not a clear arial view of where they're located...

Anyone else thinking of grabbing this one? Anyone else have it located yet?..
Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
I'm pretty sure I have it located but my bike is protesting the move up here by leaking antifreeze from the front end and something else (battery acid?) from the middle. With all I've had to do, and still have to do, with the new house, figuring out what's leaking and why are pretty low on the list. I'm having great fun riding my sons CRF110 down to the mailbox and back every day though! I was riding my other sons 50 but the little tires are a bit squirrely on the gravel.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446

I'd like to go check this place out but I thought access anywhere near this was all closed off. I'll have to study the maps some more to see if I can figure out how to legally get in there. Are there any fish in any of these flooded quarries or does the water quality not support fish life?