Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2002, 08:45 AM   #61
jimstrider
Adventure StRider

Oddometer: 717
Re: What lines?...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pep27
How do you shift your weight without fucking up your line and making the bike wobble for example? ...

Pep <><
Use your legs to reposition yourself. If you feel your grip tighten at all while moving from side-to-side, you know you're using your arms to some extent and that can introduce some instability. This can be fairly subtle, that is, you don't have to be doing the equivalent of chin-ups on the bars to affect the bike. Combined with the shifting weight, you can easily get some wobble. (Jim Strider's 1st law of everything, "Multi-causality is the rule.")

That leads us to the second matter, shifting your weight with the bike. My experience suggests that shifting your weight "without fucking up your line" is not a good way to think of it. Smoothly done, the weight shift helps establish the line you want. What that means is that you don't shift after the line is established, you use the weight shift to move into the line. On another thread, you mentioned "there's a learning curve" to this technique. Yup, and my 2 cents sez the learning curve mostly relates to coordinating your shift of weight harmoniously with that of the bike. As I'm sure you already realize (I generally assume you're not the only reader when I post my BS), the ideal timing and force of your weight shift is different for every bike. That means I can't write instructions. Also limiting my ability to offer instructions is the fact that it's entirely intuitive to me. I'm taking a long ride the weekend after next and I'll try to pay some attention to what's happening and if I notice anything worth sharing, I'll post it. Unless you find it presumptuous of me. (I'm almost certain that you ride faster than I.) But you did ask...:):

When all is said and done, it doesn't matter. And a damn good thing it doesn't.

Music

jimstrider screwed with this post 08-14-2002 at 10:18 AM
jimstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #62
PBX
Artful pothole dodger

Oddometer: 81
Pep -- you want to get your body position set before you initiate the turn. You can see racers doing this if you watch for it.

Keeping your weight on the balls of your feet and off your butt helps too.

Making sure your arms stay relaxed is also important. When you're hanging off you should be able to wiggle your elbows.

I'm just regurgitating advice from track day and MSF instructors and racer friends which has worked for me.

(While I was writing this Jim slipped in with some similar advice.)
PBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:14 AM   #63
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Here's a monument to idjets with more testosterone than skill.
Attached Images

fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:24 AM   #64
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,027
peppy, ya had better up your life insurance and double check to see of the health bene's are up to date!!

if you and your squid brother, Steve, go out, let me know, I'll ride sweep.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map

freakingRTrider screwed with this post 08-14-2002 at 09:41 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:55 AM   #65
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
Re: What lines?...

Quote:

must say, I'm a little offended by ShaftEd and Fish's bullshit condescension here... Who, exactly, the fuck are they?... "The
Pep <><
Pep, Here's pic of me.
Attached Images

ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:56 AM   #66
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Just make your life insurance payable to:
"ADVrider Fund site Pool, General Distribution"

Hell, I wouldn't ride sweep.. Can't imagine trying to lift up Steve.. uhhh, the strain.. the horror..

Plus riding over crash debris is inherently unsafe..

Better just let them give you a 10 minute headstart.

-MM
Old 08-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #67
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Hey Pep

Don't waste your breath. It's the "if it ain't like I do it's dangerous and wrong syndrome here".

Even Freak is surprising me. I have been behind him heading up the same mountain at the same pace I was Sunday and he's coming back with the "Squid Brother Steve" and updating your life insurance and health insurance cracks.

Maybe he should sell the RT and get the Yamacruiser back.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 AM   #68
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Here's what I am saying....

You meet some sportboyz on the internet, you decide to go riding with them, you don’t know how well they ride, you got shagged tires, you all got that “male ego” thing going on. Anyone who shows up to something like that and thinks it’s just gonna be a friendly little Sunday ride is fooling themselves. By the photos those guys “look” like they know what they are doing, but who knows for sure. Even if all of them are excellent riders, there is the chance that they will tow a new guy right into a corner too fast trying to emulate them. I’m not saying Steve shouldn’t meet new people and ride with them. I’m saying that he should be prepared when showing up for a ride like that. I.e. gear, tires, and put your “race” face on, and realize things could get pretty gritty out there.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:37 AM   #69
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

For the Record

The person that invited me was introduced to me by Caro955RS. It was not like I just started gabbing with some guys on the net. Caroline told me about Jay and Jay about me and said that we both rode very well and that we needed to get together to ride. We PM'd at SBN and he asked me to come along.

I am not some raging hormone 20 something. I am a 42 year old adult that undertands his limitations and the consequences of exceeding them. No matter who I ride with, I ride at my pace and my ability level and your assumption that I did not or was not able to control that is what is offensive here. I never exceeded my comfort level or own pace the entire day. Just sustained it for a much longer duration.

I am not flaming anybody here or being ungrateful for the advice and comments. Some have been very valuable and have compelled me to think aobut all my riding, not just the ride I took with these guys.

We've said it many times "Ride Your Own Ride" I always do no matter who I ride with.

Should this thread be split to Face Plant, lots of good information in here for all to contemplate.

Novel concept a long thread that is not about Islam, Jesus or butt fucking faggots and their lifestyle.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:26 AM   #70
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Some have been very valuable and have compelled me to think aobut all my riding, not just the ride I took with these guys.
And the crowds rejoiced!!!

Seriously. I used to ride a lot more than I do now. I used to ride at 85+ most of the time. But it was in the flatlands of NC. I learned my limits the hard way. I crashed and bought a freinds CB1000. It was a minor crash, but the $5000 price tag ripped my college Ramen-noodles budget to shreds. I rebuilt it and rode the snot out of it. It was a great bike, but it didn't feel like you were riding hard untill you were aproaching 100. It handled great but wasn't fun and exciting untill you were ripping down a set of sweepers at a moderately fast pace.

In the mountains it was a handful. Heavy and powerfull, she turned slower than a true sportbike. But it taught me how to be smooth and slow down to go faster. Balancing the limited traction vs. braking vs. horsepower was a forced habit. 10,000 miles later I could dance that bike down any road I wanted at alomost any speed. It was like riding a big stable locomotive.

I started thinking about what kind of riding I really liked doing. I hated riding in traffic or on the slab. Twisties and such are fun. I rode any bike I could borrow. Duc Monsters, Blackbirds, Superhawks, my old RD400, Bandit 1200's, HawkGT's, SV650, etc. Nothing fit really. You had to go too fast to have fun.. Especially on fully faired bikes. 145 on a blackbird feels like 65 on the CB1000.

I ordered the KTM right before I left grad school. Took six months to get it in. First ride was the last time I rode my CB1000. I finally learned that you don't have to be approaching triple digit speeds to have fun. The bike just fit. In the twisties at speeds theCB would be a pain, the KTM still dances like a kite and sweeps through smoothly and confidently. The safety margins are back in my ride. I've slowed down and enjoyed it more, it's more fun. I still enjoy the full throttle blast to 100 on a lonely back road every now and again, but I don't feel compelled to ride that way. And I don't think I would ever go back to a true sportbike.

Ride safe friend!

-MM
Old 08-14-2002, 11:34 AM   #71
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,027
Re: Hey Pep

Quote:
Originally posted by K12RSSteve
Don't waste your breath. It's the "if it ain't like I do it's dangerous and wrong syndrome here".

Even Freak is surprising me. I have been behind him heading up the same mountain at the same pace I was Sunday and he's coming back with the "Squid Brother Steve" and updating your life insurance and health insurance cracks.

Maybe he should sell the RT and get the Yamacruiser back.
yea, well, I remember the last time we went riding with the sportbike types.

ShaftEd summed it up pretty good a couple of post back.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #72
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Gotcha Steve!

I agree that this thread would do well to go to "Face Plant".

I am mid 40's and quite capable of being just as squidly as any 20 year old.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:10 PM   #73
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Re: Re: Hey Pep

Quote:
Originally posted by freakingRTrider

yea, well, I remember the last time we went riding with the sportbike types.

ShaftEd summed it up pretty good a couple of post back.
What happened had nothing to do with the way we were riding.

I think about that day everytime I get ready to ride.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 PM   #74
jimstrider
Adventure StRider

Re: Re: For the Record

Quote:

Or a thread started by a chick ...

Pep <><
I assume your misogynistic remark means you've split up with RougeRogue?

Music
Old 08-14-2002, 03:19 PM   #75
jimstrider
Adventure StRider

Re: Re: Re: Re: For the Record

Quote:

Yeah... My bad... Just to old and set in my ways to make room for anyone else in my life, I guess... Having to consider someone else is just beyond my abilities anymore... I just want to be able to do what I want, when I want, without answering to anyone for anything... That is evidently too much to ask for... Whatever ...

Hey!... Waitaminut!... That wasn't a mysog... missogy... What I said wasn't sexist! ... I was referring to the thread started by denesewa: Is that, or is that not the longest thread in ADVRider history?... Which one of you Mods has the stats on that? ...

Pep <><

Sorry to read about your loss, Pep.

BTW, Denise's thread may have the most posts, but I'll put my nickel on "Lets See Your Bike" having the most views.

Music