Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #181
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Thumb All clean.. And modified the crash bars at the same time.

Hi all.
You no doubt saw the pics of last weekends off-road adventure.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=171
Big fun was had by all with the mud, water, and dirt tracks but the bike was in need of a huge cleanup so I got stuck into it yesterday. Underbody, under suspension, under seat, under tank, over tank,,, every bloody where...
I actually had a really enjoyable time stripping the body work off again and giving the whole bike it's very first wash. I believe it came up cleaner than when I picked it up from the dealers.

After the big wash and polish I decided that I could no longer tolerate the front upright (under headlight) bar component of the crash bars and removed them (the front bars, not the crash bars) for good.
I have been toying with a new auxiliary light system and high mount front mudguard but the top bars were in the way for my prototyping + It has always been my intention to manufacture an attractive/functional engine protection crash bar system for this bike, but until I get the time I will leave the factory option kit installed... Just now without the front upright bars.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #182
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,193
Wasp, I think you should move your crashbars project to teh front of the list. At least before they release them in the US.
The 3 x S10 threads are consistently at the top of the forum.......this should be telling you and Yamaha something?

I think we all agree that that bar under the front headlight & the crash bar. (What was the look - braces? Chinstrap?) detracted from the look. there is the chance here that you can design something that adds to the headlights and the headlights image and make it a bit tougher looking (like the .....gulp....ahem.....GS)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #183
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
I haven't seen a coolant temperature greater than 85C so far and I don't think the radiator fan has come on yet either. Then again, I haven't ridden mine in anything higher than 10C conditions due to being mid-winter here in Australia. Summer will tell I guess.
The rad fan is set to cycle on at 105degrees and off at 100degrees.
I quite often get it going on and off in traffic while waiting at lights, and I have also had it come on while idling along at low speed while lane splitting.
The temp drops and the fan goes off as soon as there is sufficient airflow over the rad.
If you put your hand down over the rad exhaust outlet while riding you can feel what a magnificent job the ducting does.
I can not feel ANY hot air on my legs while riding or at a stand still.

Greg.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #184
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca
Thinking of giving the Yamaha engine bars a miss, and hanging on for third party accessory lighting. I take it that the holes beneath the headlight are the mounting points for Yamaha's offering, and will do just as well for any others that come along.
No. The top of the bars is only secured by the prop (supplied in kit) coming out from near the steering stem.

The post below details the installation.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=59
And more recently cut the top bars off.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=274

Greg.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #185
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
No. The top of the bars is only secured by the prop (supplied in kit) coming out from near the steering stem.

The post below details the installation.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=59
And more recently cut the top bars off.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=274

Greg.
Sorry, I was a bit ambiguous there. I was assuming that the holes are there for the aux lights, and will do just as well for any third party lights. I've only seen one pic of Yamaha's lights mounted in what I think is this position though, and that was a publicity shot.

Edit: found another shot of the Yamaha accessory lights apparently mounted hereabouts:
http://img682.imageshack.us/i/st9.jpg/

rocca screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 03:50 AM
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #186
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Cool2 Front LED indicator fitting pictorial.

Speaking of LED indicators, I havent done an informative pictorial post for a while so here is the front LED fitting procedure.
(more noise than a skeleton having an Uncle Doug in a tin shed..Classic).

OK, away we go.. Same optional Yamaha indicator set that was installed at the rear in the first few pages of this thread.

Remove the windscreen. Remove the headlight surround. Remove the dash/instument cover (with Yamaha badge).
To remove the black rivet like fasteners, simply press the centre section about 3mm (1/8") in and pull entire plastic component out of hole.

Remove the R/Hand side upper and lower faring.
Undo the 4 bolts retaining the headlight.

Wiggle the headlight back and forth in it's housing to identify the wires coming through the hole in the R/Hand side and disconnect the appropriate plug.
Remove and safely store the headlight assembly.

Remove the factory original indicators paying carefull attention to the layout of the wires.
Install the L/Hand indicator as per the packaged instructions.
Run the wire across the top of the headlight assembly.
Secure the indicator wires in the grey cable tidy as per original indicator.

Connect the LED indicators into the load resistors supplied in the kit.
Connect the corresponding indicator wires to the electrical harness.
Install the R/Hand indicator in the same fashion.

Re-fit and connect the headlight and headlight surround.
Re-fit the instrument dash cover with the 3 plastic rivets.
The rivets should be assembled into the holes with the centre piece sticking outwards.
Once in position the centre piece can be pushed in flush.

Tidy the layout of new wires and load resistors with zip ties so the connections are not bouncing around.

Re-fit the R/Hand side top and bottom faring and you are good to go.

The LED front and rear indicators become very STEALTHY and blend in with the bike rather
than stick out like the factory amber units. It often takes me a while to locate them in some of my pics.

I hope you enjoyed this pictorial and found it helpful.

Greg.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #187
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Wasp

Thank you very much for the photographic tutorials you have been sharing here. Crystal clear pictures with step by step sequencing have made this a very enjoyable thread.

As you are aware, there are members here who do similar threads on BMW GS, (as an example) even making DVD's to help out. You are adding the the ADV legacy of sharing knowledge across the world.

Great stuff my friend.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 AM   #188
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Thumb Tool-less windscreen adjustment.

Hi guys.

I picked up some knurled thumb screws for the front windscreen on the Super10 today so that I can experiment with the heights easily without the need for tools.

I actually got two types, the other ones are round knurled billet (not the star shaped plastic like these) and quite a bit smaller than these.. I thought these ones looked more in place on the job.

I will be doing a full incremental adjustment mechanism for this bike at a later date but just though I would try these in the short term.

Greg.

P.S - I had the bike serviced on Friday and DID get them to put the paper filter element back in temperarily so that I could have a listen to the mid range knock... I am riding the bike again tomorrow and will re-install the foam filters and ride again before offering a report.

Greg.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #189
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
Once again Wasp's thread is hijacked with more off topic talk... punted to the big S10 thread.

Please let Wasp show us what he's doing with the bike... and related questions.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #190
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Wicked Received Yamaha part number 23P-829A0-00 (heated grips) today.

I dropped into my Yammaha dealers this morning to find my heated grip kit sitting on his desk.
Very bloody odd considering I was told not to expect them until at least the end of October??.

I haven't had time to install them but might get time tomorrow.
I will do a full pictorial blow by blow of the install but thought I would just put a few teaser pics up tonight.

Thats a lot of shit packed in one little box.

The important parts.

Yeh, like it's gonna be perminantly mounted there!! I'd rather stick it up my arse and operate it by precise sphincter muscle control

I will more than likely mount it on a plate down here or on the left hand side below the dash in a similar fashion to the 12v plug.

Greg.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #191
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Bloody hell that's lots of parts for heated grips! I fitted my first set ever to my Triumph yesterday and if you're new to them it's a nice feeling riding around in the cold with warm hands.

Don't suppose there's enough room to squeeze the control between the centre of the bars and the triple clamp?
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #192
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinders_72
Bloody hell that's lots of parts for heated grips! I fitted my first set ever to my Triumph yesterday and if you're new to them it's a nice feeling riding around in the cold with warm hands.

Don't suppose there's enough room to squeeze the control between the centre of the bars and the triple clamp?
No, not enough room there.
I just got back from eyeballing it up in the shed and I will lasercut a plate to place the mount up under the dash on the left hand side... Hides away perfectly while still being easily adjusted and not interfering with the cables at full steering turn.

Greg.

P.S - Yes, I have experienced them... Mmmmm toasty warm on the cold morns.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #193
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
Greg,

have a look at this mount from a French S10 owner:

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #194
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
My Oxford heated grip controller was installed by my dealer on the right hand side mirror mount, as shown in the following photo. I thought it would be difficult to press buttons while on the move but it's actually easier to do than on my previous bike, where it was mounted on the left, despite having to reach across the handlebars with my left hand.

I don't change the settings very much anyway as I have used heated grips often enough to know what to set them to for a given outside temp. Since I set them before I start moving and rarely change them on the go, the controller mounting position is not that big a deal.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #195
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

New SuperTen Touring windscreen

Hi.

I was one of a few S10 owners (not sure how many worldwide) excepted to test the new Touring windscreen for Mark at California Scientific Windcreens.

After a few e-mails back and forth Mark announced that a new screen is in the mail on its way to me.
I have not had time to test it yet but initial findings are that Mark got it right with the dimensions as it fits and looks very good.
Quality and optics of material and the edge cut looks very good remembering that this is a prototype...
This screen is about 120mm higher than the standard screen, and around 75mm higher than the optional yamaha high screen.

Sorry about the fingerprints all over the screen.. Should have probably wiped it huh?

I will be reporting back to Mark after Monday as I have a 200km+ visit to a clients place in the country - Perfect for the new touring screen shakedown run.

I will keep you all posted.

Greg.

P.S - Keep watching this space as I will be the first to test and display a new dark tinted shorty/sports windscreen in coming months.

Greg.