Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #331
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth609
Hey Wasp, have a question.

I was wondering, which tools do I need to remove the tires of the XT1200Z ? In case of an emergency, or problems with the rim or tires in a trip I'm going to take soon I would like to purchase the tools required.

Appreciate the help.
I assume you are talking about wheel removal rather than tires as there are a large number of tire bead braking and tire repair kits around.

Wheel removal tools are:
4mm + 6mm + 8mm hex keys + 19mm hex for axle removal.
27mm open end or ring spanner for rear axle nut.
10mm and 12mm open end or ring spanner for caliper and torque arm removal.
+ Carry (or find) a prop long enough to stick in the hole under the fork leg to support the front end to remove the front wheel.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #332
zeth609
Super Tenere *****

Oddometer: 33
yea, you're right. Thanks :)

07 Suzuki GS500 (sold)
08 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom (sold)
10 Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z (currently)
zeth609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #333
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Dug up an S10 from underground.

Just out of interest...

One of my current (and most important) customers is a very well known and prominent underground mining contractor based in Western Australia but now with contracts around the world.

As well as being a prominent mining contractor Barminco http://www.barminco.com.au/ do all in-house refurbishing and re-manufacture of their own "State of the art fleet of over 300 mobile equipment units; the largest single company owned fleet of underground mechanised equipment in the world".

I am involved with the reverse engineering and 3D computer modeling of machinery components for in house manufacturing. Apparently, even with my involvement, there are still considerable cost savings to be had over buying O.E.M parts.

The first pic shows a dump truck chassis (disassembled after being high pressure washed) and the degree of repair required.
General repair is panel replacement after collision damage, walls, barriers etc, but Barminco also do their own modifications to some machines that may include increased volume oil/fuel tanks and cab/protection system mods, also with the obvious engine, drive, and hydraulic systems overhauls..

I find that the work/machinery environment make a great backdrop to a great bike. Truth is that the bike was in the workshop to rest my measuring tools on and as a bench to make notes on.

Although the pic above is of a truck chassis it ends up in a similar state as the Cat R2900 bogger pictured below.

I am very fortunate to have the gig at Barminco as they are a great mob of people in a very professionally run outfit and put out a top quality product. + I get to rock up on the bike, measure shit up, and ride all the way back home generally before the engine cools down.

Greg.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #334
Olliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
[quote=Wasp]Hi..
I have been thinking for a while about getting some screen printed stickers done that are similar to what I have shown here.
The plane is to have the Yamaha sash from the front of the faring traveling back in an unbroken sash to the tank, probably going a bit wider at the round badge (cut around it) and incorperating the words "Super Tenere 1200" so I didnt have to continuously answer the question....

Or is this just wanky farkels for farkel sake??

Greg.

Hi, sorry for my english.

I would like to know where I can find the Yamaha black and white stickers ? very nice on your fuel tank

Many thanks.
Olliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #335
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:

I would like to know where I can find the Yamaha black and white stickers ? very nice on your fuel tank

Many thanks.
I have asked the same question but no one answered I want those stripes on my new baby Raven
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #336
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliver

Many thanks.
The Yamaha part numbers are:

Left hand side = 23P-28393-00 Graphic3
Right hand side = 23P-28394-00 Graphic4

Sorry Goldie05.. I didnt see your previous question.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #337
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Yamaha headlight protector.. Installation pictorial

Well "BUGGER ME"...
It's only been (nearly) three months since I ordered "AND PAYED FOR" all of the optional accessories for my bike, and the last product rolls up at the dealership today .. Well, nearly the last, I'm still waiting on one of the side pannier liners but I can live without that for the time being.

Yamaha part# 23P-H4105-00-10 headlight protector for the Super Tenere picked up and ready to install.

I cant work it out but installing bike farkles seems to take precedence over
just about everything else going on in life .
So, having said that, it was immediately up to the workshop and bike on the slab... Although this is an easy product to install and did'nt really need to go on the lifter, that's where the lighting is best and the tools are stored.

First things first.. Clean the front of the bike, and layout all the parts and quickly flick through the instructions.
Yes, unlike most, I do read instructions..

Credit to Yamaha. All of the O.E.M accessories I have purchased for this bike have come with absolutely every bolt, nut, and washer + grommets etc, carefully packed in their own part numbered bags and you never seem to need to go looking for any extra parts..

Step one is to remove the headlight shroud retaining bolts. The shroud will stay in place so there is no need to systematically remove and replace bolts.

Feed the cap screws through the anodised aluminium bosses and secure in place of the headlight shroud retaining bolts.

Install the small "spearhead" shaped rubber inserts into each spacer boss.
These inserts have a groove molded around their outer diameter to grip into the bosses.

Thats the bike side off things finished..

Next prepare the headlight protector.
Install the rubber panel grommets into the for corners of the plastic protector.

I wonder what the story is with the "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" thing.
Maybe Yamaha expect these bikes to be ridden on smoother off road than on road surfaces .

Assemble the push in stand off studs onto the four corners of the protector utilizing the original headlight shroud fasteners.. The long studs go to the top.
Yamaha have very cleverly cut the internal thread in the studs to exactly the right length so that the heavy handed amongst us dont over tighten on the grommet.

Stud > washer > grommet > steel collared insert > original bolt.

Remember, long studs to the top .

All thats left is to push to headlight protector into the rubber grippers and hopefully, apart from easy removal for cleaning, thats where it will stay.

And this is how it should look on the bike........ I think??

I cant remember how much it originally cost (the pain of waiting for it to arrive has overridden my memory of the pain of paying for it) but I cant imagine it was too much..
Whatever the case, I think this is a great accessory and a must have when you try to imaging how much Yamaha would try to ream you dry for if you break a headlight.

Greg.

Just thought about it... Maybe it's for off road use only if it changes the throw/spread/pattern of the headlights??? I will check that on my next night time ride by taking it off and back on to compare... OFF ROAD OF CAUSE .

Wasp screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 06:22 AM
Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #338
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
The Yamaha part numbers are:

Left hand side = 23P-28393-00 Graphic3
Right hand side = 23P-28394-00 Graphic4

Sorry Goldie05.. I didnt see your previous question.
Wasp, no problem I'm enjoying this thread and your pictures this is really a beautiful bike and I can't wait to get mine, 8 months

I wonder how the black/white stripes will look on the Raven
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #339
Steve in ATL
How ya like me now?

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05
Wasp, no problem I'm enjoying this thread and your pictures this is really a beautiful bike and I can't wait to get mine, 8 months

I wonder how the black/white stripes will look on the Raven

I have some ideas on that....

"The point of the journey is not to arrive - Anything can Happen!"
Steve in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #340
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in ATL
I have some ideas on that....

Ohh Yeah!!

I can picture it now...

Greg.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #341
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

What to do next??

Maybe laser-cut and press a top clamp mount for this:

Or mess around with something under here:

I think they (S10's) start to look really cool with a little more air under the rear guard...
It's only 1" but makes the world of difference. C'mon,,, Dont tell me you all never wished you had an extra inch??

I'm only 5'11" but must have a leg to body ratio like Kermit the Frog.
I flat-foot with the seat in the high position and have thought from the start that I would do something like this..

Time will tell.

Greg.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #342
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Hi Wasp,

Following your very interesting thread and lusting after the S10 I can't help but bringing up a design suggestion. Right protective panel to be painted black in the inner cavity section to much the left panel's holes for the rad that look like black and also a change on the seat's colour. All black would do it. That's the cosmetic part I'do if I was sooo lucky and in your shoes.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #343
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict
Hi Wasp,

Following your very interesting thread and lusting after the S10 I can't help but bringing up a design suggestion. Right protective panel to be painted black in the inner cavity section to much the left panel's holes for the rad that look like black and also a change on the seat's colour. All black would do it. That's the cosmetic part I'do if I was sooo lucky and in your shoes.
Bin there, thought of that.

My (ex) Son-in-law is a panel and painter and I had exactly the same idea just after I got the bike.. Took it down to him and its obviously no problem to do it. The only hold up is that I think there could be something better than paint.
I have thought of dropping by a sign/sticker company that specializes in the 3M carbon adhesive and getting them to test a little piece... Could look good - Could look shit.? Either way, one day it will be done.

Greg.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #344
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:

I cant remember how much it originally cost (the pain of waiting for it to arrive has overridden my memory of the pain of paying for it) but I cant imagine it was too much..
Thanks for that Greg, will be one of the first Yamaha accessories going on mine.

Now let me see if I can jog your memory on price. Anything like this? (from the Vendors section)

"Headlight Protector Retail $99.95 Our Price $82.95"

I thought not . That's the US price. Probably around AUD$150?

Trevor
Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #345
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Just out of interest...

One of my current (and most important) customers is a very well known and prominent underground mining contractor based in Western Australia but now with contracts around the world.
Greg.
Sorry mate !!! Talking about.... Australian..... for mining..... couldn't help it. I DO miss the 80s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm8yq...eature=related

You guys run out of ideas once the 90s hit? Other than briefly Casey Chambers..... NADA !!!

I won't miss this one !!!! Quite possibly the BEST that ever came from down under. At least for my liking...

http://www.hoodoogurus.net/newsEvent...20030915173031

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled Super Ténéré post...

Elefant screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 07:57 AM
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote