Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #1771
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
You talking about the time YOU went past me while your bike stayed behind???

Greg.
Bahahahahahahaha.............oh.. ive done that....just not past you.doh!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #1772
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Another new video. This one is from a couple of months back - A little bit dustier then.

Fellow adventurers are Bargenator (Graham) on board his trusty S10 (also fitted with the same exhaust system), and my Brother Mike aboard his KTM450EXC.
This was actually filmed one stop before the infamous Bargenator tree hugging incident.

Enjoy.

Greg.
I'm amazed, you catching some speed on those trails and your brother can't stay with you on the KTM? on a much lighter bike?

You ride this thing pretty well, love the sound when you come out of a turn and just floor it, I'm assuming you leave the traction control on but on the less restrictive setting
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #1773
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
hi Greg,
have you ever thort of a rear brake resevoir protection?
With all your off roading has there ever been any signs of damage?
cheers
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #1774
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
hi Greg,
cheers
here's what we made. mounts on to the brace near the brake reservior . welded on piece mounts to the exhaust pipe mounting bolt. 3.5mm alloy plate, machined washers. seems to work well. (no big hits yet). btw, your lookin at the bottom of the plate.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #1775
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Fitted a K&N filter on the WASPmobile today

Hi all.
Based on the Bargenators ride report (and persuasive insistence) I installed a new K&N filter to the S10.
The Aus spec Uni filter arrangement is certainly a pain in the ass to clean and the more I thought about all that oil and crap in the filters the more I leaned towards the easy maintenance of the K&N set-up.

Anyway, here's a few pics and a brief rundown on an easy install.

1/ Remove the bottom R/H/S and the whole L/H/S farings.

2/ Unplug the tank wires and carefully lay the tank back.

3/ Remove the Original paper filter, or in this case the foam Uni filters. Thoroughly clean inside the airbox base and lid... Remember that the airbox is now an active part of the filtering process where previously the Unifilters were straight onto the rubber intakes. Any dirt left inside the filter box COULD find it's way into the intake now.

4/ Not completely necessary but a good safety measure is to use silicone grease on the rubber sealing ring to ensure ALL air has to go through the filter.
This is where the molded ridge on the underside of the K&N filter seals against the rubber sealing ring inside the lower part of the air box.

5/ Install the new filter into the greased housing groove checking that it is pushed all the way home.

6/ There is another rubber sealing ring in the top half of the air box. We believe it's a good idea to use the silicone grease here as well.. You can never have too much safety measure.. Remember, this is silicone GREASE - not silicone sealant..

7/ Plonk the lid back in place and secure all the retaining screws.
Dont forget to install the middle screw and rubber centre plug.

Filter model number:

Worth picking up a K&N service kit as well:

For under $90 I think this is a mod very well worth doing.
Dont know why Yamaha Aus did not go down this path in the first place rather than use those dirty shity Unifilters with the spring wound wire down the throat of the intakes

I will be heading out for another ride in the forest this Sunday so I will report my findings on any improvement or otherwise.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #1776
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
hi Greg,
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cams View Post
here's what we made. mounts on to the brace near the brake reservior . welded on piece mounts to the exhaust pipe mounting bolt. 3.5mm alloy plate, machined washers. seems to work well. (no big hits yet). btw, your lookin at the bottom of the plate.
Well there you are Tuska, Question answered.

It's not something I see as completely necessary, but then again, I might be saying that through my ears one day after I take the res out on a stick or something... Stranger things have happened.

Greg.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #1777
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Hi all.
Based on the Bargenators ride report (and persuasive insistence) I installed a new K&N filter to the S10.

Greg.
Yeah that's bloody great you guys, given that I just ordered the stock S10 foam filters from Midland Yamaha (for my nephew to deliver to me), I'll be traveling next year and don't want to be stuck needing an air filter somewhere where I can't get one, so was tossing up between the foam and the K&N. I have a K&N in my Vee so it's not like I'm one of these people to fret excessively about it's filtering ability (but I think I agree with the theory that it filters better the dirtier it gets - there have been times when I've found very fine dust in the airbox. End result, I clean it less frequently... Vee has 80,000 miles with this filter so can't be too bad.)

Anyway, ended up getting the foam filter just cos of the slight but niggling doubt about the filtration of the K&N, but knowing that the foam will need more frequent service. Greg, you probably do as much dirt as anybody on the S10, how often are you needing to clean the foam filters?

Trevor
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #1778
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 787
Greg,

I don't have the numbers but the K&N filter supposedly do not filter off-road dirt as well as other filters like UNI. I can understand your concern about the wire being in the tubes but you might look at the size of the particles the filters filter.

The flip-up fuel tank looks like a Big Plus. Very creative on your part but...it is Greg Wasp.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #1779
Bargenator
Bargenator

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Greg,

I don't have the numbers but the K&N filter supposedly do not filter off-road dirt as well as other filters like UNI. I can understand your concern about the wire being in the tubes but you might look at the size of the particles the filters filter.

The flip-up fuel tank looks like a Big Plus. Very creative on your part but...it is Greg Wasp.
Hey Tomato, interesting comments about filtration of the K&N,I don't put anything on my bike without a bit of investigation first, and after checking out the K&N testing I was happy to go ahead with fitting it to my bike.

Findings of the testing are based around the following carried out in there test lab, and K&N outsource to other labs to confirm there findings:

320 grams of dust is fed into the test unit, this is made up from particles from 1 to 5 microns which is which comprises of 23% of the test to larger particles, and the overall result is 99.1% effective filtration, which exceeds paper type filters, but I can't comment on foam. But one thing stated is that foam types have to be very thick to be effective, therefore sapping HP in the process. Nothing is going to give 100%, but obviously once particles get below a certain size they do not cause engine damage in small amounts, 1/1000 of a millimeter is reasonably small.

As mentioned in Wasps thread I also recommend using silicon grease on the rubber seal of the filter and air box, I did this beacause I was not happy with the amount of fastners that secure the airbox together, it was not based on any facts but I viewed that as a pre-caution more than anything else.

As time goes on I will report my findings on how effective the K&N is with an honest appraisal.

One last comment, make sure you follow the cleaning and reoiling procedure to the letter, otherwise unseen damage may make the system less effective.

Tomato, I am not berating your comments, that's what this forum is all about, getting views and past expierences off other people, I am replying to let others know why I chose K&N.

Go to K&N here for info, whilst it is K&N based, they have been around for a long time.

http://knfilters.com/
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #1780
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,826
Air Filters...

~

Given the current discussion I thought some of you might find the following pages interesting...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest4.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest5.htm

Or the same info in another format:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

Just FYI... And to clarify, I have used paper, oiled gauze (i.e. K&N and the like), and oiled foam all along the way over the past 40 years. I've had good luck with all three. I am in no way advocating one over another or suggesting any specific type is superior overall. To each his own.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 10:53 PM Reason: To clarify that I don't have a favorite dog in this fight...
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #1781
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Given the current discussion I thought some of you might find the following pages interesting...

Dallara

~
Don't want to turn this in to an "oil thread" but my experience with using K&N's has been great. I have no doubt that K&N's don't filter as well, but my experience is that the extra dirt they may let is not a problem. I live in Texas where it is dustier than hell all the time.

My recently sold 1999 ZX11 that had 77K miles on it and a K&N since its 600 mile service used no oil use between 3K mile oil changes. My 2005 ST1300 has had a K&N since 3K miles is fast approaching 90K miles and uses no oil between 5K mile oil changes. YMMV
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #1782
Bargenator
Bargenator

Oddometer: 168
Great info Dallara, that's what this place is all about, it would be nice if someone had the money and a lab to conduct the testing under controlled conditions, but at the end of the day we as individuals should decide what addon part we are comfortable with. I'm with simmons, I firmly believe the K&N will deliver the required protection and performance I am after.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #1783
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargenator View Post
Hey Tomato, interesting comments about filtration of the K&N,I don't put anything on my bike without a bit of investigation first, and after checking out the K&N testing I was happy to go ahead with fitting it to my bike.

Findings of the testing are based around the following carried out in there test lab, and K&N outsource to other labs to confirm there findings:

320 grams of dust is fed into the test unit, this is made up from particles from 1 to 5 microns which is which comprises of 23% of the test to larger particles, and the overall result is 99.1% effective filtration, which exceeds paper type filters, but I can't comment on foam. But one thing stated is that foam types have to be very thick to be effective, therefore sapping HP in the process. Nothing is going to give 100%, but obviously once particles get below a certain size they do not cause engine damage in small amounts, 1/1000 of a millimeter is reasonably small.

As mentioned in Wasps thread I also recommend using silicon grease on the rubber seal of the filter and air box, I did this beacause I was not happy with the amount of fastners that secure the airbox together, it was not based on any facts but I viewed that as a pre-caution more than anything else.

As time goes on I will report my findings on how effective the K&N is with an honest appraisal.

One last comment, make sure you follow the cleaning and reoiling procedure to the letter, otherwise unseen damage may make the system less effective.

Tomato, I am not berating your comments, that's what this forum is all about, getting views and past expierences off other people, I am replying to let others know why I chose K&N.

Go to K&N here for info, whilst it is K&N based, they have been around for a long time.

http://knfilters.com/
I was 'just sayin' and would not take offense. I also would not go to the same vendor for test results. K&N has an investment and surely they will protect it. There used to be air filter test information on klr650.net and klrworld.com.
Like another poster said I have been using K&N for 30+ years... though only on my street vehicles. I will be installing a K&N on my Super Tenere since it will be 80/20 at the most. I had one on my DL1000 and found it to be a good upgrade. The DL1000 sucks bugs big time and cleaning was common.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #1784
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thanks for ideas on reservoir protection guys,
so your thinking the k&n filters will free up engine intake......has that combined with your carbon muffler made for better milage or just more performance??
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #1785
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Thumb Crank up the VOLUME!!!

Another vid from a casual ride out today.
Great tone, but badly edited .. I somehow cut out a lot of the good stuff

Enjoy.

Greg.