User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #256
Wizzzzzzzzzzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
[
Coming just as soon, The installation, trial, evaluation, and review of the much awaited SW-Motech S10 crash bars including the obligatory high quality all angles P.O.V pics.

Greg.[/quote]

I will be interested to see if the sw-motechcrash bars (that protect the sides ) can be used in combination with the factory bars to provide protection for both the engine and the sides

i have "tested" the crash bars a couple of times with some slow speed offs in deep mud -- the factory engine bars did the job but i still feel the radiator side is vulnerable ....if we can fit the bottoms of the factory together with the sw-motech side protectors i will be sure to buy a set

Please test this Greg when you get a set
Wizzzzzzzzzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #257
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzzzzzzzzer
Quote:
Coming just as soon, The installation, trial, evaluation, and review of the much awaited SW-Motech S10 crash bars including the obligatory high quality all angles P.O.V pics.

Greg.
I will be interested to see if the sw-motechcrash bars (that protect the sides ) can be used in combination with the factory bars to provide protection for both the engine and the sides

i have "tested" the crash bars a couple of times with some slow speed offs in deep mud -- the factory engine bars did the job but i still feel the radiator side is vulnerable ....if we can fit the bottoms of the factory together with the sw-motech side protectors i will be sure to buy a set

Please test this Greg when you get a set
I'm more worried about the fairing than the engine sides in a drop as the fairings are plastic not metal,have further to fall and the cylinder heads aren't vulnerable like they are on boxer engines. As such, the SW motech jobbies interest me more at this time.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #258
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
I'm more worried about the fairing than the engine sides in a drop as the fairings are plastic not metal,have further to fall and the cylinder heads aren't vulnerable like they are on boxer engines. As such, the SW motech jobbies interest me more at this time.
The bar looks nice; I use Motech bars and racks entirely on my bike and I trust their products. However, this bar seems to me like it may create more damage during a fall. I may be mistaken but the support points seem to be at the bottom and the upper bends seem to stand alone, or I can not see it good on the photo.
umitc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 AM   #259
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc
I may be mistaken but the support points seem to be at the bottom and the upper bends seem to stand alone, or I can not see it good on the photo.
There are mounts at the top of the bars reaching inwards in the faring and onto the engine mount plate.
Just difficult to see.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/...38070-8751.jpg

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #260
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
You are not alone there.. This is where I was only a few months ago.
This is not my latest version of these bikes but it is one of my favourites.
I built this bike about two years ago.
Not lightning fast but absolutely as quick as any bike in the twisties. Feather lite with gobs of torque

I would'nt have given a glancing (dirty) look at one of these bikes 6 months ago... But now I love them more and more each time I ride.
I must say that I have never been as smitten with any of my (very many) other bikes as I have with the S10 - And it's not about looks at all.

Greg.
Drool inducing!
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #261
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
There are mounts at the top of the bars reaching inwards in the faring and onto the engine mount plate.
Just difficult to see.

Greg.
Oh yesss, thanks Greg. It's a mistake to think, that they have missed it.
umitc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #262
xl1200r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I want this bike. Why can't the U.S. get the cool stuff from these companies?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #263
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r
I want this bike. Why can't the U.S. get the cool stuff from these companies?

A lot of us in the same boat - a whole thread about it here;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588052

SEPTEMBER ONE is the date we're watching Yamaha USA's website. If they are going to announce for the US as a 2011 model, that is when they'll do it.

Trevor
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #264
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Quote:
Just difficult to see.

Greg.
Hey Greg,

I'd be curious to know if the side panels of the S10 will still be easily removable with the SW Motech crash bars in place.. if you get them please let us know. It would be a major inconvenience if you had to remove the SW crash bars in order to remove the bike's side panels.

p.s. The package is in the mail
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #265
Tony R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Greg hi. I have been following this thread for the past few days. I am new to the site and have just sold a 2009 Tiger 1050 because I wanted to play in the dirt. We have so many great off tar rides in S A that I want to explore before my time is over. I have applied for finance on a new first edition Tenere 1200 and am torn between going for the adventure version with panniers, bash plate and headlight protector and then fitting Oxford heated grips, Kaoka throttle lock for long trips, my zumo 550 mount, and a Givi E47 top box so that i have some space for when I use the bike for commuting. The other option is to buy the basic model and fit the Trax panniers which are bigger than the standard ones, and then buy the headlight protector and bash plate. The cost here in S A for the Trax panniers is less than the OEM units. I see towards the end of the thread you mentioned that you were going to be testing these brackets and units. I cannot wait for the outcome. This thread has convinced me that this is the bike. I took one for a long ride and must say that it is awesome. I did not find the standard screen a problem. (You need to ride a Tiger for a while to see what bad screens are all about). I rode on the highway at speeds of up to 190 km/h and did not find any buffeting or wind noise. I ride with an Arai which tend to be noisy. I have also used the Motech tank bags on my past two bikes and find them amazing. No damage to the tank because of the bracket that lifts the bag away. Just in closing I went straight after this ride to BMW and rode the GSA adv. Very big and I found it to be very rough compared to the Yamaha. We have a fair amount of stock in S A and the pricing is very competitive compared to the propeller brand. Fully specced first edition at R 138900 and the base is R 129000. GS adv with same spec finishes at around R 190000. (Has ESA and TPC) I am hooked and cannot wait to swing my leg over the Tenere and go riding again.
Tony R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #266
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R
Greg hi. I have been following this thread for the past few days. I am new to the site and have just sold a 2009 Tiger 1050 because I wanted to play in the dirt. We have so many great off tar rides in S A that I want to explore before my time is over. I have applied for finance on a new first edition Tenere 1200 and am torn between going for the adventure version with panniers, bash plate and headlight protector and then fitting Oxford heated grips, Kaoka throttle lock for long trips, my zumo 550 mount, and a Givi E47 top box so that i have some space for when I use the bike for commuting. The other option is to buy the basic model and fit the Trax panniers which are bigger than the standard ones, and then buy the headlight protector and bash plate. The cost here in S A for the Trax panniers is less than the OEM units. I see towards the end of the thread you mentioned that you were going to be testing these brackets and units. I cannot wait for the outcome. This thread has convinced me that this is the bike. I took one for a long ride and must say that it is awesome. I did not find the standard screen a problem. (You need to ride a Tiger for a while to see what bad screens are all about). I rode on the highway at speeds of up to 190 km/h and did not find any buffeting or wind noise. I ride with an Arai which tend to be noisy. I have also used the Motech tank bags on my past two bikes and find them amazing. No damage to the tank because of the bracket that lifts the bag away. Just in closing I went straight after this ride to BMW and rode the GSA adv. Very big and I found it to be very rough compared to the Yamaha. We have a fair amount of stock in S A and the pricing is very competitive compared to the propeller brand. Fully specced first edition at R 138900 and the base is R 129000. GS adv with same spec finishes at around R 190000. (Has ESA and TPC) I am hooked and cannot wait to swing my leg over the Tenere and go riding again.
Hi Tony
I'm also from SA (Pretoria) and can perhaps share some info with you.
I gto my S10 on 3July, after riding the 1200GS and 1200GS ADV each for a couple of hours - the ADV is and FEELS just too heavy, the 1200GS is not too bad, but I immediately felt safer on the S10 and ordered mine without further thought after a 3 hour ride - I presently also have a F800GS, but I feel even safer on the S10 - it's a stunning bike, you won't go wrong getting one!
I can advise you to shop around a bit and perhaps not to get too many extras initially - apart from the fact that I haven't received most of my extras, I believe they are mostly over priced and the after market stuff is generally better, from what I have read.
I got quite a discount on my bike after shopping around - the best price I could get was from Shimwells in Springs (Natasha) and my local dealer then equalled their price - good luck!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #267
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965

Hope it keeps sending the smiles your way.

Congrats on the new purchase Tony.

Don't forget to post pics over here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592384 when you get so you can make all us poor non owners

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #268
Tony R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Bundu hi thanks for the heads up. I will contact Natasha and see what deal can be done. I tend to agree that I will probably buy the base model and then add later. Top box, heated grips and Zumo mount will be done immediately. Still have to finalize the deal and then cant wait.
Tony R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 AM   #269
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R
Bundu hi thanks for the heads up. I will contact Natasha and see what deal can be done. I tend to agree that I will probably buy the base model and then add later. Top box, heated grips and Zumo mount will be done immediately. Still have to finalize the deal and then cant wait.
I have just changed my supplied panniers for Metal Mule ones. The original ones are just too flimsy for serious use. They are OK for commuting or light use but the fixings are weak and there is no lower rear support so in the event of a fall, if that corner of the pannier lands on a rock or mound, there is a good chance that the plactic fixing will snap off. It did this to at least 2 bikes when they took a group of S10's to Africa earlier in the year.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 06:07 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #270
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
The Sports/Shorty tinted screen.

As promised I received the new tinted short sports screen for evaluation from Mark at CalSci ( http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tenereprod.html ) yesterday.

Before I start my report I will state that I am not paid for my view's (by CalSci or anyone) and have received nothing (apart from a couple of test screens) from Mark at CakSci.
I will also echo Marks words prior to sending me this product.
"Shorty ships today. In any review, you must keep in mind that my goal with the shorty is looks, not wind performance. I don't expect it to be a good touring screen. I do expect it to have slightly better wind performance than stock. There's a lot of guys, esp. in Europe, who ride 100km per day or less and don't have much need for good wind management. Our Multistrada tinted shorty has been a huge success with such people."

In typical fashion the screen looked fabulous, both test screen I have received from Mark exhibit a very crisp, clear, (and to my unqualified eyes) optically quality.
The edges are very clean cut and smooth and the screens look symetrical on the bike.

I was anxious to receive this tinted shorty screen in particular as most of my riding is urban jungle and back country gravel/dirt track, none of which require the high touring style comfort and wind protection. Also, for obvious reasons, the shorter screen is a much safer proposition in the dirt where there is a need to be standing and getting weight over the front wheel.

The screen arrived to me in the form as shown in the first two pic's which is nearly an identical height to the standard O.E.M Yamaha screen.

I was at first a little disappointed as I was expecting something a little shorter, both in terms of smaller physical size for that minimalistic look, and in a lower than standard form to get a clean fresh flow of air directly at the riders face rather than buffeting the top/sides of the helmet.
But, I fitted it up and went on my first test ride down town.

150kms and 1.5hrs in the saddle (coffee break in the middle) convinced me that I was correct, this screen did need to be shorter to provide a suitable benefit over the standard screen.
Contrary to Marks hopes, I dont feel that the screen (as originally delivered) was better than the original factory screen and in fact offered a slight bit of wind buffering at speeds above around 100km/hr.
It's not as though the screen generated that "Eddy" type dirty wind that Mark has explained but more that the wind coming off the screen hit smack bang on the peak of my dual sport helmet and vibrated the shit out of it.. Made my nose itchy..
The factory yamaha screen still spills the air onto the helmet but slightly above the peak (maybe due to the curved lip) although the air off the factory screen feels dirtier than the air of the non lipped screen.

Anyway, my resolution to this dirty air problem was to hack some height off that puppy and see if I could get some cleaner air onto (or into) the helmet.

I carefully taped up the front face of the tinted screen with 100mph tape and transfered a line 50mm down from Marks original top edge.
I then proceeded to cut away on the vertical bandsaw.. I also cut the top sides a little bit slim'r and radiused the top corners.. Easypeezy..
Just scrape the edge to de-burr and away we go.

How does it feel?... Fan-bloody-tabulous.
In my review that I sent to Mark about the tall touring screen, I labeled it as "the touring screen of choice"..
In my review of this shorty screen to Mark, I will label it as "the summer suburban screen of choice".

After the modification to the height of the screen I immediately set about on a 20km all speeds test.
I live in the rural outskirts of Perth where the road speed 1km from my house is 110kph.
I started of at a leisurely pace and immediately found the screen to offer a lot more pleasurable feel due to a smoother, cleaner flow of air to the face and from the nose upwards in the helmet.
Surprisingly I did not find the helmet tending to lift as you would expect when the speeds rise. There is slightly more tendency for the wind to load the helmet when you turn your head but nothing overwhelming... Bare in mind that this is at 130kph+.

To further my findings I pulled over halfway along my test ride and completely removed the screen to test the effects of absolutely no wind screen. NOT A GOOD MOVE!! The pressure against the body (particularly pushing the helmet back) is not fun. With that test over I conclude my findings and re-iterate my statement " this has now become MY summer suburban screen of choice".

The pic below shows the degree to which the screen was shortened.
I think it looks really smart and minimalist... There is just one thing that I will touch on shortly.

That one thing I was talking about,,, in my opinion this screen is screaming for the same triangular cut-out as was put in the bottom of the touring screen.

Mark says it does not need it and thinks it would look odd on a tinted screen... I BEG TO DIFFER!!!
This IS a summer screen and would not only benefit from the additional airflow through the extra hole, but it may assist in lowering the vacuum that drags dust and shit up the steering column hole, AND would look shit-hot on this screen.

Please voice your opinion on the need for the triangular cutout..
Unless of course you dont think it needs it, in which case you can fuck off because no one is interested in your opinion

Hope you enjoyed this review.

Greg,

P.S, Mark.
I hope you read this and see my (and the growing masses) desire for a triangular cut-out..
In fact, fuck it... I will do it my self and post some pics up later.
That way when Mark see's it and decides he does like the "now patented idea", he will have to pay me a royalty

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote