Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #376
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
yes, I was the guinea pig for the soft bag pannier frames..

I prefer soft bags as you can really stuff them full of gear, are easily repairable and are more "crashable"..

Andy has sold a few sets of pannier frames now I believe..

here is a pic of my S10 with soft bags..
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #377
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Softside luggage

Thanks for the input on the soft bags. I put in a query to Wolfman, we'll see what they say.
I still miss Swan Draught....But we have Sam Adams, so I'll survive. Wife and I met and were married in WA, we'll have to come back some day...We were even tossed off the Governor's mansion property in Perth, we wandered in and didn't realize where we were. You know us lost Yanks...
And, I know what a Holden is. Along with getting rooted. Still have a copy of the Naked Vicar Show around here somewhere....
Thanks again. When I get my S10, I'll show you what we've come up with.
Yamaguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #378
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Forgot

So busy reminiscing that I forgot. Any special precautions for the bag on the left side over the exhaust?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #379
warnabrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguy55
So busy reminiscing that I forgot. Any special precautions for the bag on the left side over the exhaust?
nope, the pannier racks hold them off enough... I just did a 2000km trip with that setup and it was perfect..
Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #380
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Thanks

I have apparently been having a thought (gasp, shock, amaze!) in the back of my mind: when yamaha Australia put those socks over the intake horns in the airbox, is the intake side of the crankcase air system still being filtered? On all of other Yamahas of recent manufacture, that air is supplied in the downstream side of the airbox from the pleated filter. See this shot:
http://www.waspworks.com/gallery/sup...0040710_11.jpg

It looks like that tube coming up between the throttle bodies. More obvious things have been overlooked. Just attempting to think.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #381
warnabrother

Quote:
I have apparently been having a thought (gasp, shock, amaze!) in the back of my mind: when yamaha Australia put those socks over the intake horns in the airbox, is the intake side of the crankcase air system still being filtered? On all of other Yamahas of recent manufacture, that air is supplied in the downstream side of the airbox from the pleated filter. See this shot:

It looks like that tube coming up between the throttle bodies. More obvious things have been overlooked. Just attempting to think.
that is a good question ????

anyone ??
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #382
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother
yes, I was the guinea pig for the soft bag pannier frames..

I prefer soft bags as you can really stuff them full of gear, are easily repairable and are more "crashable"..

Andy has sold a few sets of pannier frames now I believe..

here is a pic of my S10 with soft bags..
Wanabrother, I lIKE those bags. Gonna get something like that for my Tenere. Got those metal Jesse lunch box things from my old 1200GS. I actually broke a leg draggin it under one of these Jesse bags while in deep sand. True story. Love yer softies.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #383
warnabrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
Wanabrother, I lIKE those bags. Gonna get something like that for my Tenere. Got those metal Jesse lunch box things from my old 1200GS. I actually broke a leg draggin it under one of these Jesse bags while in deep sand. True story. Love yer softies.
Andy Strapz.. he ships to the US too..
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #384
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
I have a Rostra electronic cruise control sitting in my garage that I took off my Wee Strom before I traded it in. I also have the S10 service manual, which I started looking at over the weekend to work out where this cruise control could be installed and what wires I need to find to hook it up. If anyone is really interested, I will post up a new thread documenting my progress and success or otherwise.
Yes, please do start a therad on this. I have a spare Audiovox CCS-100 and would like to put it or even a Rostra on the S10 if possible.
fredz43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #385
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
in the back of my mind: when yamaha Australia put those socks over the intake horns in the airbox, is the intake side of the crankcase air system still being filtered? On all of other Yamahas of recent manufacture, that air is supplied in the downstream side of the airbox from the pleated filter. See this shot:

Yamaha Aus have that covered... In the pic below you can see that there is a yellow foam plug in the airbox water drain (clear bulb at the bottom). The same stepped foam plug is pushed inside the middle spigot (crankcase breather).

Greg.

Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #386
warnabrother

Wasp.. have you removed the foam filters yet.. and if so, how do you feel about the springs that are inside the filters..

my feelings are that they would seriously be restricting or at least impeding the airflow..
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #387
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Tell us more Fred.
Sounds very interesting but to be honest I never looked any further than the Kaoko.
The S10 is only "throttle by wire" down at the throttle bodies and does in fact have push-pull cables from the throttle grip to a cam wheel (go figure) so it may still be viable.

Very keen to find out more...

Greg.
Greg, here is a link to instructions on how many of us adapted the Audiovox unit to our ST1300's (Pan Europeons). I made a few changes to with my setup, such as not using a vacuum cannister and incorporating the controls into the OEM handlebar switch pod, but you can get the general idea of what is involved in that link.

When engaged, the unit monitors the speed of the bike and matches it to the speed you have selected. It maintains the set speed whether just cruising or going up and down hills. Not much use in twisty bits, useless off road, but very handy when you can't avoid riding some of our long interstates here.

Looks like another kind inmate is doing some research on fitting the later model Rostra units to the S10 and will hopefully post what he learns in another thread. That would e wonderful, as I sure hope that I can fit a real cruise control to the S10. That is one thing that I thought I would lose when going from my ST1300 to the S10.

Thanks again to you and everyone for sharing your wisdom concerning the S10. This is one incredible group
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #388
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
nope, the pannier racks hold them off enough... I just did a 2000km trip with that setup and it was perfect..
I guess I missed something here. What pannier racks are you using with soft bags? Any pics? I already have waterproof Ortleib bags that I use on my 08 KLR650 and would like to use them on the S10 when it gets here. I had some racks that kept the bags off of the body work and exhaust on the KLR and am interested in the same for the S10.

Thanks,

Fred Z.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #389
warnabrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43
I guess I missed something here. What pannier racks are you using with soft bags? Any pics? I already have waterproof Ortleib bags that I use on my 08 KLR650 and would like to use them on the S10 when it gets here. I had some racks that kept the bags off of the body work and exhaust on the KLR and am interested in the same for the S10.

Thanks,

Fred Z.
Andy Strapz are making pannier racks.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...605112&page=17

look about half way down the page for pics..

but this should really be discussed in the general XT1200Z topic.. not Wasp's
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #390
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Andy Strapz are making pannier racks.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...605112&page=17

look about half way down the page for pics..

but this should really be discussed in the general XT1200Z topic.. not Wasp's
Thanks mate - Good call...

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote