dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Doug who??? This is Greg's thread...
Bloody hijackers

Greg.
Err... knew it was something like that, four letters, ends with a g...

I won't do it again!

Trevor
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Gday Greg,

Nice bike and pic's mate.
Good to see the working's of her as well, Cheers mate.

Johnnie,

Ten10
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Optional High windscreen installation.

A couple of days have passed since my last picture post and I have picked up quite a few accessories and odds and ends.
Although I have been extremely busy with my work I have also found time to get out for a few rides and the bike now has 375 odd kms clocked up.

One of the parts that I received (did not actually order) was the high windscreen.
Now I am quite happy with the standard windscreen, although I may look at lifting it to the next level, but I thought I would try this with a view to perhaps cutting it down for an around town low sporty screen.

First the standard screen.
This pic shows the side profile.

And the front view..

You can see above and below that the screen can be raised (against Yamaha's recommendation) by another 1.5" approx.

I might try the higher setting with the standard screen and see hoe that would feel for long distance and use the cutdown screen for around town.

The next pic is the high screen in position.
It sits about 1" higher but leans backwards with more of a curve than the standard screen.

The front view of the optional high screen.

To be honest,, I prefer the look and cut of the standard screen but in the lowest position there is a slight buffeting on the peak of my Arai XD3. If I raise by bum off the seat about 1 or 2" I get a clean flow of air and everything calms (and quietens) down. I may try it in a slightly higher position and see how that goes.
The optional high screen nearly removes the buffeting in the lowest position and I am very confident it would completely remove it if raised to the next holes.

More experimenting required.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #34
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Got me some dual sport (wouldnt call them knobbies) tyres today.

Check em!!

Dont ask me how they feel because I have only ridden the bike from the trailer to the shed...
Twas pissing down (and stormy as buggery) in Western Australia today and I did not feel like getting drenched.

I will report on the feel both off road and on road at a later date.

I recon they certainly look the part, I just have to take it easy with the first road ride to get the wax off them...

Greg.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #35
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
I recon they certainly look the part, I just have to take it easy with the first road ride to get the wax off them...
And put TC on Max, because they wear *fast*, but they are slightly better Off-road, if you ride a lot On-road consider TKC's they behave nicer in fast corners, Karoo will dribble quite easily with the small wobbly blocks.

Karoo's are a bit better on wet Tarmac then TKC, since the TKC's are made in Korea...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Top pannier installation

I actually fitted this a couple of days ago when I first got it and I absolutely love it..

I ordered the side panniers with the bike when I bought it but I dont believe they will stay permanently on the bike like this top box will.

The instruction sheets with all of the Yamaha accessories has minimal (if any) written words and only contain cartoon pictures. It gets the message across even if sometimes the penny drops only after several attempts.

Anyway. to install the top box you first need to remove the rear carry platform/rack..

The two rear bolts from this rack are re-used once the rack is removed but the front bolt is not required.
These bolts are about 24 inches long and weigh about 2kgs but they must be required to do the job .

I hate seeing un-capped holes so I installed a M8 stainless button head screw in the spare hole.

That part finished, the next job is to fit the lock barrel to the pannier box. When you buy your bike you will/should receive 3 extra lock barrels for the panniers...
Get onto your dealer if you dont receive them..

Lock barrel installed, this is what your top box looks like.
No raw alluminium internals to scuff and mark your shit..
All plastic lined and clean and solid and waterproof. There is a realy solid rubber seal at the top and the whole construction feels and looks like quality.

The front of the box locates into the heavy plastic lugs at the front of the pannier tray, and the box clicks and locks down at the rear.
You can see the rear locking mechanism in this pic. Locking is very solid and vibration free and installation or removal takes 5 seconds.

I am really pleased with the fit and feel of these boxes.

The great news is YES they will take a full sized helmet and lock down.
Here is a pic with my Arai RX7 Corsair and Arai XD3 .. I turned my RX7 sideways because I have a GoPro mount on the top that was interfering with the lid closure. (good to know there is that option).

Fitting the box in position on the rack.
Turn the key to the left and the bottom handle pops half open.
Fully open the handle and the box drops into position.
Push the handle closed while closing the key lock... Job done.

What it looks like on the bike.
Did I say I was really pleased with the fit and feel and quality????
Well I am...

Greg.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #37
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
And put TC on Max, because they wear *fast*, but they are slightly better Off-road, if you ride a lot On-road consider TKC's they behave nicer in fast corners, Karoo will dribble quite easily with the small wobbly blocks.

Karoo's are a bit better on wet Tarmac then TKC, since the TKC's are made in Korea...
These are Karoo "T"...
They looked significantly different (very much smaller knobs) to the other Karoo and are supposed to be more road oriented.
The dealer had TKC and Karoo and Mitas but all looked really large full on knobbies where, to be honest, I think this bike will be more 90%/10% or at best 80% road.

I really just wanted something that would perform reasonable in the dirt without giving up too much on the road.

Greg.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #38
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Forgot to mention the Pannier liner bags.

When I was originally looking at a 2010 BMW GSA the salesman said the BMW liner bags were in the order of $600
If I recall these Yamaha bags were around $70 to $90 each.

Great feel and quality with plenty of carry handle and straps built in.

I have received the top box liner and one side box liner so far (no actual side boxes yet) and the side box liner is expandable.

The top box liner could have been a bit bigger as it is a bit of a spacey fit.

Greg.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #39
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
I really just wanted something that would perform reasonable in the dirt without giving up too much on the road.

Keepus posted on how they fare, but the TKC looks like all knobbies, but actually on dry tarmac are able to frighten many a sportbike rider, scraping the pegs is easily doable, only the Keith code "wring em" can overload them, but if you ride fluently, you'll be amazed ! (until the road gets wet, then they are as bad as Tourances...)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Thumb Installing the Super Tenere Tank Bag - Excellent bit of kit.

Received the tank bag as part of the bike purchase and I could not be happier with it..
The finish is of the quality you would expect from a Yamaha commisioned product and fit is very tidy and simple.

The tank bag has built in magnets (not sure how many or where) that assist in keeping the bag firm on the tank without squirming around.

The top map pocket is easy to operate and clear... Good for putting your mobile phone under so you can see in coming calls.

Installation requires only one strap around the fuel tank pivot and the bag then locates at the front of the tank with a pressed grab bracket.

There are plenty of pockets and little hidie holes and even an included removable purse/belt type carry bag. I found this perfect for my offroad goggles but leave it inside the bag as I found it annoying when standing up if left mounted on the back of the tank bag.

I am not sure what the volumes are but the bag is expandable.
Pic shows colapsed.

Expanded. (You can actually store a complete Magilla Gorilla emergency bike in there incase this one brakes down.

And off course the wet weather cover...
I think I would rather that my shit got wet than use this.. But, I guess it matches the other silver bits on the bike.

And an all together pic.

More to come as soon as other accessories arrive.

Greg.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #41
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Thumb Installing the Super Tenere Tank Bag - Excellent bit of kit.

double post deleted.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
If I recall these Yamaha bags were around $70 to $90 each.
Wow, bargain. I have a Jesse topbox that looks just about the same size as the Yam one - Greg, could you get the external measurements on the bag? The Jesse is good but spartan, and black exterior makes it very hot inside. A bag like this would do the trick on several counts.

If I can't have a Tenere at least I can have the luggage right?

Who's your dealer? I could get my nephew to pick one up and ship to me...

Trevor
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #43
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:

Greg.
Mmmmmm...... very nice....
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #44
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Highly informative posts and great pics! Thank you

Hey Greg,

Given your fabrication expertise, do you think you could fabricate some sort of rail that mounts to the windshield mounts on the bike on one side and to the windshield on the other, permitting riders to adjust the screen up or down by loosening a lever or a thumb screw? I think Wunderlich has something similar for the 1200GS.

You'd have to design some sort of adjustable rail that fits into the bike's existing windshield mounts. Sounds easy huh?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #45
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Hey Greg,

I have the impression that you have a bit to do with Ducati's.

Did you go for a spin on the Multi at all?

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote