Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #61
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,844
Greg, sorry for the confusion over the tyres but I did want to know what type of tyres on the Beemer, I thought it was yours as well, sorry.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #62
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Greg,

Those crash bars look the goods mate, and the comparison photo's that you have posted between the S10 and GS are great.....
Going to be in the market for something with a little more poke and a good Tourer that can easily handle 2 up later this year and your thread is making the decision between the KTM 990a, BMW 800gs and the Super Ten that much easier...
Have had a little look at a couple of S10's in dealerships and have even put the little lady on one of them to see what she thought of it...... Showed her your pic's last night and asked her what she thought of the choice of bikes available and asked her the question, what bike do you like and why.....(have to keep the boss happy of course)
After alot of talking about the subject the wife's verdict is out, 3rd the KTM 990, 2nd the BMW 800, and 1st, yes, the Super Ten..
I think for the money and added safety features that the Super Ten have as standard features on the bike, I think I am going to have to agree with her, wouldn't want to dissapoint the wifey... ..
I purchased a 2010 XTZ 660 Tenere' earlier this year and have been extremely impressed with the bike. Its ability to be loaded up with gear and be riden just about anywhere is tops, particulary when I can get 500 odd k's out of a tank of juice..Yamaha have produced a winner here..
To be given the opportunity to add another Tenere' to the garage could very well be on the cards me think...

Thanks again Greg for your Thread mate and will continue to stay tuned with great interest..
Cheers,
Johnnie

Ten10
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #63
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
A mate (and business partner) of mine owns a Ducati dealership. When I had the GSA demo for two days I went down to visit him and the first words out of his mouth were "Ohh no.. Your not going to become one of those snobby BMW owners are you".

Now I know that a lot of YOU guys that have made the move or are thinking about getting on a Tenere come from a BMW back ground, and may still even own a Beemer.
I dont want to offend anyone by stereotyping but I ask you... Is this typical of BMW owners.

A couple of days ago I went on the Oilhead Boxers site where I saw a sticker of the Dakar clad cartoon person on a windscreen and posted a pic of my tank protector.
A few questions were asked about the bike and it all led to this.

Today, 06:32 AM
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

[IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
This is obviously not the right place to post ride reports, info, and stories about a Super Tenere.
I started a thread in the beasts section at:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post13355476

Enjoy.

Greg.

[IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]
Isn't Tenere French for "couldn't afford a GS"?

[IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]

4Redman
All who wander r not lost

[IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.gif[/IMG]

Quote:

Maybe we should each have thrown in a buck to help him afford a real bike! [IMG]file:///H:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG]

Why are these guys so childish when these posts had nothing to do with who can and cant afford shit?

Honestly, if people get so protective and defensive about stupid shit like who's motorcycle is the best, I can see how WARS develop.
Also, folks get this carried away over what colour bike you ride,, whats next? what colour skin you have??.

Maybe I am just over thinking all this stuff.

We are all bike riders and all ride bloody fine machines... Shouldnt be too hard to just get along.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #64
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,912
um,

I suppose it is the same as people with big boats, expensive cars and small..umm

Anyway, it's just the way it is.

Doesn't have anything to do with the quality of anything or the suitability of anything to your purpose.

You can have fun on a postie if you don't mind taking in the scenery

Once you have owned a Strom you get a thick skin, i can tell ya!

The YAMAHA's a good thing, Maybe the BMW owners are now worried about how FAT they look next to the Athletic newcommer. You know what girls can be like.

The comment about Hyundai is interesting. I think I remember something about quality serveys..back in a sec...

Yep..

The latest JD Powers dependability survey 2009 Hyundi beat BMW. They appear to be better built. overall.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/do...cle_090318.pdf

BMW appear to be the same with the bikes and cars.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 09:16 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #65
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
Showing th way.

Thanks for the great info and pics Greg.
My S10 is due for pick up on the 23rd of this month from Sydney and I cant wait.
I have just ordered the top box thanks to your great pics.

Question mate, with the protection bars how does it look for mounting a decent after market bash plate. Will it fit under or over the bars or not at all ? looks like a tight fit in the photo's.....

Your a trail blazer for us future Tenere owners.

Thanks mate.

Geoff.
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #66
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
Have ridden a GSA and it did nothing for me (Refused the Latte so not brain washed) but i did like the 990 Adventure but the dealer principle being an honest guy talked me away from them.
I actually thoroughly enjoyed my weekend on board the 2010GSA.. It was the catalyst for convincing me that I did indeed want to add one of these style of bikes to my stable.
I do enjoy everything that the BMW represents and can appreciate the engineering and design that has gone into the bike to get it the sales that it has enjoyed so far.

I would have (and was very close to) bought the GSA.
Even with the top heavy feel and the chance that something could go wrong, I was prepared to take that chance. Until I rode the Yamaha..
I simply could not buy into this bike and all of its in build problems (BMW riders call this character??) when there was such a sharp bike on offer in the Yamaha.

I also looked very hard at the KTM 990 and 990R.
I would definately have gone for the R but feared that it would not get ridden every day and was also worried about long life from a highly strung engine.
It would absolutley be the most fun (read: most race like) of all the bikes to ride
If I was a fully sponsored factory rider and could throw the bike on the ground and grab the spare bike anytime something shit itself and didnt have to worry how long a bike would last without the looming concerns of expensive repair or resale value..... I would have a shed full of KTM 990R's every day of the week.
But then I would secretly have my S10 stored out the back to go for a casual ride away from it all.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 02:57 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #67
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
I actually thoroughly enjoyed my weekend on board the 2010GSA.. It was the catalyst for convincing me that I did indeed want to add one of these style of bikes to my stable.
I do enjoy everything that the BMW represents and can appreciate the engineering and design that has gone into the bike to get it the sales that it has enjoyed so far.

I would have (and was very close to) bought the GSA.
Even with the top heavy feel and the chance that something could go wrong, I was prepared to take that chance. Until I rode the Yamaha..
I simply could not buy into this bike and all of its in build problems (BMW riders call this character??) when there was such a sharp bike on offer in the Yamaha.

I also looked very hard at the KTM 990 and 990R.
If I was a fully sponsored factory rider and could throw the bike on the ground and grab the spare bike anytime something shit itself and didnt have to worry how long a bike would last without the looming concerns of expensive repair or resale value..... I would have a shed full of KTM 990R's every day of the week.
But then I would secretly have my S10 stored out the back to go for a casual ride away from it all.

Greg.
How are the carbon cans coming along Greg, you know we are waiting!

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #68
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkster
geez its feckin warm in ere!
Im trying not to bash the BMW GSA (too much) because I really do like them. I like the utilitarian dont give a shit what other people think look about them..
They are just not for me while there is better (for me) offerings around.

Greg.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #69
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
How are the carbon cans coming along Greg, you know we are waiting!

Cheers Rick
Hi mate.
Glad to hear you are getting out on your new ride..
I have been so busy that I really havent had time during the day to throw a leg over it.. I normally would have done a thousand kms in this time.

I am still waiting (like you and many other I am sure) on the arrival of my side pannier boxes and a few other accessories.

I cant start to plot and plan the removal of the old muffler and design of a new carbon one until I get the luggage mounted.

I made the exhaust and carbon can in the attached pics for the Ducati and the muffler was stuffed with "S" glass.
Although the muffler was quite short it has the most incredible bassy note. Reasonably quite as well, certainly quite with the DB killer installed.

I dont plan on increasing the volume too much at all on the S10, just slightly, but I think it will give it a lovely deep tone and certainly drop around 3 to 4kgs off.
I will also be looking at removing the plastic shroud and pipe guard on the L/H side and seeing what can be done to tidy/lighten that all up..
I would even like to look at replacing the pillion peg carriers and move them in-board and even.

This is the Ducati exhaust muffler combo.
The original exhaust was 11.2kg with a lot of weight above the axle line - This exhaust is 3.4kg and all of the weight is obviously as low as you can get.

I will check out what suits and looks best, oval or cylindrical muffler body.
I would look at doing the inlet and outlet billet components in a black teflon finish and perhaps even do a carbon left ankle guard.
It is quite simply amaising how little heat radiates from a carbon can on a well fueled system.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 06:03 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #70
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
That pipe & end can set up looks nice. Been keeping an eye on this thread & appricate the work & picture you have posted up.
I have fancied a GS for a while but hearing of some of the problem some of my mates & others have had I have not been willing to put my money down on one. Also being a bit of a Yamaha man I was delighted when they said they were going made the new Super Tenere, just the cost in the UK is a big issue, but may be one of these days.
Got my first view of one in my local dealers yesterday & it is a nice bike & really like alot of the touches on it the finish look good to.
I did notice on your you had what looks like winglets & take it the are a Yamaha extra?
TAM
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #71
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMTAM
I was delighted when they said they were going made the new Super Tenere, just the cost in the UK is a big issue, but may be one of these days.
The GS looks to be cheaper/ better equipped at UK prices, but my local BMW dealer offers poor money for non-BMW trade-ins and so the cost for me to change to a S10 was actually lower...and my Yam dealer did all the accessories at cost price too.

Would have gone with the Yamaha anyway, to be honest, as it was a better ride on test (as well as for the reasons you mention!).

If you like the TDM you're gonna love it...
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #72
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 797
Absolutely excellent thread, thanks Greg!

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #73
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMTAM
That pipe & end can set up looks nice. Been keeping an eye on this thread & appricate the work & picture you have posted up.
I have fancied a GS for a while but hearing of some of the problem some of my mates & others have had I have not been willing to put my money down on one. Also being a bit of a Yamaha man I was delighted when they said they were going made the new Super Tenere, just the cost in the UK is a big issue, but may be one of these days.
Got my first view of one in my local dealers yesterday & it is a nice bike & really like alot of the touches on it the finish look good to.
I did notice on your you had what looks like winglets & take it the are a Yamaha extra?
TAM
Not sure what "winglets" you talk of TAM.. If it is the side wind buffer winglets, I dont have them on the bike at the moment but have ordered them and expect them to arrive soon.

Greg.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #74
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca
Would have gone with the Yamaha anyway, to be honest, as it was a better ride on test (as well as for the reasons you mention!).

If you like the TDM you're gonna love it...
Congratulations and welcome to the S10 ownership experience.

As I have said before, I challenge someone to ride both and buy the BMW..

Greg.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #75
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj
Absolutely excellent thread, thanks Greg!
Thanks mate.

Well, keep watching because this is going to continue for a while..

Greg.