User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #76
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Hey greg,

Never mind the poor bastard over in oilheads (the FOOL), He just spent considerable money on a bike that suits his ego.

You keep doing what you are doing. Keep up the good work and stay "factual". No need to start buy into a turf war eh?

I apologies on behalf of the seemingly decreasing percentage of decent BMW owners out there without carrots inserted...

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #77
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Hey greg,

Never mind the poor bastard over in oilheads (the FOOL).

You keep doing what you are doing.

Keep up the good work and stay "factual".

No need to start buy into a turf war eh?

I apologies on behalf of the seemingly decreasing percentage of decent BMW owners out there without carrots inserted...

Cheers
Graham
Geez,, bit of a strange one there.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #78
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Hi Greg....

Thanks for the pictorial and info on the S10! Congrats...Lovely bike that's for sure with more to come I'm certain!

I look forward to seeing this model hit Canada and will be 1st in line to take a look and get rid of one of the Beemers ( ownership has been less then steller to date)
One point that hasn't been touched that I can see is the dealer network or lack there of from BMW. I personally have to go 2 provinces away for my warranty service which is a PITA and would trade that in a heartbeat for a dealer network like Yamaha which is in pretty much ANY freekin larger town known to man. That alone speaks more to me then perceived quality!(Yes I have Beemers with issues). I think Japanese quality is higher and reliability is more so at the forefront.
I have one question.... You mentioned you saved $10,000 AUD over the BMW. Seeing the AUD is almost on par with the CAD can I ask what you paid to give a perspective? Here in Canada my GSA was $19K MSRP and to compare the Varadero is $13,199 so how does the S10 compare to either bike?

Thanks,

Mike

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #79
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
Hi Greg....

Thanks for the pictorial and info on the S10! Congrats...Lovely bike that's for sure with more to come I'm certain!

I look forward to seeing this model hit Canada and will be 1st in line to take a look and get rid of one of the Beemers ( ownership has been less then steller to date)
One point that hasn't been touched that I can see is the dealer network or lack there of from BMW. I personally have to go 2 provinces away for my warranty service which is a PITA and would trade that in a heartbeat for a dealer network like Yamaha which is in pretty much ANY freekin larger town known to man. That alone speaks more to me then perceived quality!(Yes I have Beemers with issues). I think Japanese quality is higher and reliability is more so at the forefront.
I have one question.... You mentioned you saved $10,000 AUD over the BMW. Seeing the AUD is almost on par with the CAD can I ask what you paid to give a perspective? Here in Canada my GSA was $19K MSRP and to compare the Varadero is $13,199 so how does the S10 compare to either bike?

Thanks,

Mike
I believe the Honda was $AU19,500 on road in Aus.
My bike was $23,000 on road with all extras. (Except BMW's ESA) Includes heated grips and eng protection frames etc..
GSA was quoted $33,500 with all extra's + $600 if you wanted 3 pannier insert bags.

I did not get a price for the GS because I did not want to buy one.

KTM990R was around $AU27,000 with panniers.

Greg.

Edit: In fairness though I probably saved a couple of grand through the friend and being the first buyer etc..
Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #80
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
My bike was $23,000 on road with all extras. (Except BMW's ESA) Includes heated grips and eng protection frames etc..
GSA was quoted $33,500 with all extra's + $600 if you wanted 3 pannier insert bags.

Greg.

Edit: In fairness though I probably saved a couple of grand through the friend and being the first buyer etc..
So would it be fair to say that for the extra $8K you get...

An average set of shocks with switches?
A bigger plastic tank with 7 more litres?
Better quality panniers with no liners?

Can't wait till the after market guys get a 30Litre tank available.

Cheers
Graham
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #81
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:

Greg.

Thanks Greg!

With my GSA loaded up with all the options, Package #2, with Panniers, Top Case and backrest it priced at $28500 OTD to give a better perspective...
What kind of mileage have you found to date with the 23 litre tank. Any chance it will yeild a 500km range and does it require supreme?

P.S. That price would put it closer to the F8 then the GSA for price! I paid $16K for the F8 OTD without any racks, panniers or anything other then package #2 so with them added on it would be closer to your $23k price...

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #82
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
Thanks Greg!

With my GSA loaded up with all the options, Package #2, with Panniers, Top Case and backrest it priced at $28500 OTD to give a better perspective...
What kind of mileage have you found to date with the 23 litre tank. Any chance it will yeild a 500km range and does it require supreme?
It's too early for me to comment about mileage yet as I have only done around 480kms now.

Others have reported 5 to 5.5lts/100kms so if you say 5.5lts/100kms and used 21lts (dont want to push it) you would end up with around 380kms and a couple of litres spare...
Therefore, if you rode conservatively and run it dry you could possibly get 23L / 5L per 100kms = 460kms

From the owner's manual:
Recommended Fuel - PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE ONLY. (with a research octane number of 95 or higher)
Fuel tank capacity - 23.0L
Fuel reserve amount - 3.9L

Greg.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #83
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:

From the owner's manual:
Recommended Fuel - PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE ONLY. (with a research octane number of 95 or higher)
Hmm the premium unleaded thing is a bit of a bummer - I'm used to both my V-Stroms taking the cheap stuff just fine. How does that work if you want to go places with crap gas? Would be interested to hear what that's like, if some Tenere owner wants to try it on 87 octane...

Anybody know what the 1200GS takes? I'd guess premium as well (the '10 model has a 12:1 compression ratio).

Trevor
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #84
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillsy
Hi Greg,
I have been very impressed with your pics and thoughts on the S10. Same with TDMs comments. Reason being, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable about my pruchase, although it is yet to arrive.
I,m very interested in some of the products your are thinking of developing and producing, so i will follow your progress.
Anyway if i am half impressed as you guys i will be very happy.
Craig
Craig, If you are 50% as impressed as I was last week you will now be on level pegging in impressdness because, after today's ride, I am twice as impressed with the bike now as I was yesterday.
That takes me to 200% therefore you move up the ranks to 100%

I seriously dig this machine.....

I found an excuse for another ride today.
I had a phone call from a potential new client (I am a mechanical design consultant) who's farm equipment manufacturing business is centered in the Western Australian middle wheat-belt area around 200kms from Perth.
He wants assistance with design of a new product and I wanted to go for a ride in the country...
Well, the meeting went well and it looks like I will be forced to endure more rides out there in the future

Although the weather was fine and sunny in Perth for the most part it was actually very moist and damp with heavy fog for about 100kms of the ride out Perth this morning.

I had to show pics from a couple of perspectives of this.

The Perth to Kalgoorlie (Golden) fresh water pipeline.
http://www.goldenpipeline.com.au/00/index.shtml

Hope you enjoyed..

Greg.

Edit:
Sorry - I had to do it

Wasp screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 06:41 AM
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #85
slurpee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I'm a sports bike rider looked to do a few big trips. I have test ridden the KTM 990 Adventure, KTM SMT, gs Adventure and i'm looking forward to the team moto test ride on the 24th. I've really enjoyed this thread and i'll post my thoughts when I have a run. I hope i'm as impressed as the rest of you guys.
slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #86
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8rr
I have it down to 448x336
Jpeg
68.6kb
Aaaarrrggghhhh....
So much easier riding them then trying to upload 'em......
I am obviously missing something.....
Even got the 16yo young bloke at the point of WTF
You could try downloading this:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bdsizer.html

It allows you to size (pixels and mb) in one hit. It also allows you to do multiple pics but inserts a logo in the bottom corner when it does (on multiples not individuals that is), like this:

S10 with the tank up....

Ray
Old Git Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #87
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8rr
I thought we may have heard how Greg's adventures have been going of late.
If anybody is interested of fuel economy
I have been busy testing the off road capability of the SuperTenere.
And I must say I am impressed.

I was out on the "Power-line trail" today in the hills of Perth.
We did about 45kms of this really cool track with some incredibly gnarly sections.
This is the place were all the hardcore 4wd'ers come to test there metal.

I had a great day with my brother on his KTM 450 and Mike from www.motorradgarage.com.au on his trusty WR250.
Both Mike and the bro were a little bit gobsmacked by the capability and agility of the S10.

I am uploading some video footage from todays events to youtube at the moment and will share the link when it is complete.
It is with the camera mounted at the R/H engine crash bar and shows some pretty impressive footage of ALL of the S10 front fork travel in use.
You get a good indication of the technical aspect of the ride as well.

The first pics are from the top of a valley and, as is typical with photos, does not show the gradient or the shear size of the downhill and uphills.

This is a zoomed in shot from the centre (bottom of the valley) of the previous pic.

Definitely "popped it's cherry" today.

I will stick the youtube link up here tomorrow if that is allowed.

Greg.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #88
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Well guys, please find below (hopefully) the video clip that I promised from yesterday's ride.
The GoPro was mounted on the R/H side engine protection bar and did a very good job of staying stable and relatively jello free.
This was actually a slightly less rough section than the average of the ride yesterday but I thought it was a great camera perspective as it shows ALL of the front suspension travel being used.

On the yesterdays ride was my brother on his KTM 450 and Mike from www.motorradgarage.com.au on board his trusty WR 250.
The pace was brisk but safe in the face of potentially meeting oncoming 4WD traffic.

The area where we pull up at the end of this clip is actually the top of the valley in the photo's on my previous post.
Through the course of the day we recorded 11 or so similar length clips from different camera mount perspectives so I will work out how to edit them into one action packed 4 or 5 min video with a bit of music and commentry.

Day to day riding the front suspenders are set really well, but, if I was to do this track again I would crank up the pre-load just slightly.

I apologize again for the lack of video editing but I have not had time to learn how to do it.

Enjoy.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 08:21 PM
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #89
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlu
Very interesting.

Wasp, you took great photos of the GSA & the S10 side by side. I'm just wondering if we should be comparing the S10 with standard GS and not a GSA
That is a good point and one that has been raised before, but.
I was seconds away from purchase of a GSA before I bought the S10 so the GSA was my guage (in my mind at least) as competitor for this bike.
Apart from the fact that I dont like the idea of the cast wheels in the dirt, I have not really liked the look of the std GS.

Greg.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #90
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the video Greg,

That's plenty good enough for me

Hoots along nicely.

Cheers
Graham