User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
XRnut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
XR650R Lowering link

First off thank you to all who took time to respond to my compression issue recently, narrowed down to auto-decomp, removed and plugged cam holes, tomorrow she RIPS. Need to lower rear suspension. Found 1 source, Koubalink for $150. anyone used something a little less pricy? Thanks again
XRnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,249
I've installed those before and I think they are the only game in town for XRR lowering links. You can try Duvol, I know they make one for the 650L.

IMHO you are better off getting the rear shock shortened (like what the flat track guys do) at a suspension shop. The lowering link for the XRR seems to have a negative effect on the rear suspension causing harsh bottoming even at max pre-load. You'll have to get a heavier spring also. When you add the cost of the spring to the price of the link it's probably cheaper to take the shock to a suspension shop.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
The Mass
Timbuktu or Bust... Both!

Oddometer: 335
Don't do it!

Lowering links ruin the geometry.
Learn to slide sideways off the seat.
You WILL get used to it.

The only time you need to touch the ground is when you start and stop, the rest of your riding time should be spent with the feet ON the pegs.

Cheers
Mass
04 GSX1400 (with USD front end)
The Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Put a spacer in the rear shock. Racetech shops can do it for you. Cost me about 100 USD here in Mexico. Can lower the bike 1 to 1 1/2", you'll lose some travel but the suspension will work much better than if you did the lowering links.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
Lowering links ruin the geometry.
Learn to slide sideways off the seat.
You WILL get used to it.

The only time you need to touch the ground is when you start and stop, the rest of your riding time should be spent with the feet ON the pegs.

Cheers
Mass
Mass, How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and we ride allot of steep rocky trails up to around 10K' around here. Sliding off the seat sounds like a great idea but doesen't really cut it in that kind of terrain. For one thing most dabs are out of the question. By the time you slide your ass off to the side you've lost the balance needed to negotiate much of the tough technical stuff. We frequently end up on rocky uphills with a serious cliff off one side of the trail, not a place where I want to comprimise my balance when I need to dab. I've gotten extremly good at negotating that kind of trail w/o touching anything but I can gurantee that a short person will be picking the XR up off the ground much more often than say someone 6'+. Do that a few times in the thin air up at 10K and the XR isn't going to be much fun. I have no problems riding the bike with stock height suspension in the desert or on fast trails. You're correct, the geometry will suffer but a sag adj and sliding the forks up in the tripple trees gets it back pretty close. I think shortening the shock like xrider mentioned is a better option though. I'm running the KOUBA link, it's not perfect but it's helped allot in those situations.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote