User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
R65 bumped up to 850cc

I'm looking for data concerning an R65 hop-up that involved re-sleeving R65 cylinders to 94mm bore with Venolia pistons.

I've got a bike that outwardly appears stock (ignoring the 34mm flat slide Mikunis), but after pulling the head to repair a nicked fin, discovered the Venolia and larger bore. The head has had work done also as evidenced by a cup shaped washer between the springs (yep, twin valve springs) and head.

I've heard of cutting down R80 cylinders to match the R65's shorter stroke, but wouldn't have imagined an R100 sleeve fitting into the barrel, much less the block. Evidently the block would have been bored as well. The barrels and head are R65 as evidenced by the 6.5 at the cylinder bases and the numbers on the heads.

Any of you know anything about this modification?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,034
Didn't San Jose/CC used to advertise an 850cc "Tiger" kit for the R65? Maybe it was Lufty.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
CC Products/San Jose BMW offered this kit as well as am earlier 720cc (?) kit. They used a standard R65 cylinder bored to accept a sleeve available from several sources.

The crankcase on an R65 has the same size bore for the cylinder spigot as the '76-on big twins.

The only real problems that I am aware of with these kits was that the boring shop often finished them with too much clearance, resulting in piston slap when the motor was cold.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Thanks Bud. I was wondering if that was piston slap - but it isn't noisy on first start up, but a half minute later. And then it goes away. I guess I could always get them plated to match the pistons if it bugs me too much - otherwise I'll just consider it "racing" tolerance.

Another question - would you happen to know what the jetting should be for this kit? I'm assuming the 34mm Mikunis were part of it?

Reason I ask is because a major rejetting ocurred when the two-into-one Luftmeister was added - which I've just replaced with a stock system.

Wirespokes screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 10:40 AM
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Wireworker might be a good inside track for info on this conversion.

I think that he might know someone at SJ.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Surprisingly, big-bore kits rarely require much in the way of re-jetting. I assume it is because the bigger piston gives he jets a stronger signal. The bigger piston also often makes for a better combustion chamber configuration-squish clearance is often tighter, and the dome smaller.

Regarding your (probably) loose clearance: Check with your local automotive machine shop as to whether they can knurl the piston skirts. Or, send a piston to Venolia and ask them to duplicate it in a slightly larger size. Venolia is very easy to deal with,and they'll make as few as one. If you do this, check with Total Seal about the rings. What is available for rings changes constantly, so you might have to use different rings.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench
Regarding your (probably) loose clearance: Check with your local automotive machine shop as to whether they can knurl the piston skirts. Or, send a piston to Venolia and ask them to duplicate it in a slightly larger size. Venolia is very easy to deal with,and they'll make as few as one. If you do this, check with Total Seal about the rings. What is available for rings changes constantly, so you might have to use different rings.
Maybe measure the clearances before you go too far.

Venolia race pistons are forged while stock BMW pistons are cast.

Cast pistons have much lower expansion rates and subsequantly run much tighter piston-bore clearances.

Forged pistons expand at a higher rate and are fitted much looser in the bore to allow for the expansion. They should quiet down at operating temps.

Measure the Venolias and you should find a 0.007" taper between the skirt and the head of the piston. Another mfgr'd detail to permit expansion of the business end of the piston.

blah blah blah...
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

"edit: Anyone ever hang a stock 1000cc top end on an R65? Oughta' make for approx 850cc, no?
Will the pushrod tubes fit the R65 block?
If so, will the pushrods work without scraping?"

It would be an interesting thing to do, but since the R65 stroke is 9mm shorter, the pistons would stop a long way from the top of the bore. You could cut the cylinders down in length, but because of the short stroke, you'd have low compression. The pushrods would be a problem since the lifter angle is different, too.

I built a short-stroke (R65 crank) R75 for Bob's parts manager using R75 heads and an 88mm piston a few years ago. It required a huge dome to get the compression I wanted. It wasn't real fast, but it was the noisiest thing I've ever stood beside!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Lornce
Lost In Place

While on the topic, do any of you guys know a good source for suitable iron liners to accomodate 1050 Venolias? I've about had it with overbored '77 barrels that're too thin to stay round...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

I got mine from LA Sleeve. Tell them what you're up to, and they'll advise.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench
I got mine from LA Sleeve. Tell them what you're up to, and they'll advise.
Have you had good success with them? How thick are the walls? How many miles, how dimensionally stable, etc. ??

Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

The bikes I sleeved have been out of my hands for years. Several of them had covered upward over 30,000 miles the last time I saw them, and one was over-revved often enough to wreck it's rod bearings on a regular basis!

I can't remember how thick the liners were. I went with LA's advice. We put a thick flange at the top to stabilize it as much as possible and (unfortunately) turned the bottom of it to fit in a standard case.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Thanks Lornce and Wrench! Good data!

I probably won't worry about the piston slap - it goes away pretty quickly and isn't even very loud.

I wondered why stock 100 cylinders hadn't been used, and it's possibly the pushrod tube angle that scotches it. I'd think that if the pushrod tube issue was resolved, cutting down the cylinder base would bring the piston crown where it should be to have proper compression.

This is all hypothetical for me since I don't plan on making such modifications. I think these things are plenty powerful just as they are. And if I want more oomph, ride the 100S instead. But I do enjoy the 'what ifs'.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Jetting?

Today I put the bike on an exhaust gas analyzer and found out it's running very rich. I'd suspected that not only because of the carbon build up, but because I got rid of the two into one Luftmeister and returned to stock exhaust. I knew the bike had extensive tuning with the two into one.

Suspecting this is a CC Products kit I called San Jose hoping to get the specs on what jets and needles came with the kit - assuming the 34mm flat slide Mikunis were part of it. The reply was that Chris no longer has any data on that build and I'm on my own.

Would any of you happen to have that data?

Barring that, I'm guessing that jetting for an R80 should be close. I've heard that these hop-up kits didn't really need much in the way of jetting changes so it's possible the stock R65 jetting would work.

But there's another problem - I don't know how to transfer Bing data over to Mikuni data. Are there interchangeability charts available? Suggestions?

I'd rather not go through the guessing game of figuring out jetting if I can help it!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

My experience with flat-slides and BMWs has been that if you want them to work right, they have to run a bit rich. When I tried to jet a set of them down on 1050 kitted bike it would occasionally lean backfire and blow the carbs off the heads! The flat-slides were probably sold by Luftmeister, who were very excited by them at the time. The Carb Parts Warehouse is the place to go for jets and good advice on those carbs.

My advice is to ebay the Mikunis and get a set of Dell'Ortos.