Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
We woke up Saturday morning, had a little breakfast, packed and were on the road by 7:30am or so...We continued up Highway 4, then caught Highway 89 over to 395 near Topaz Lake. Highway 89 has some amazing views and it's still like a late springtime up there. Everything is green, flowers are blooming, etc...

Here is a view from Hwy 89 looking West...

Some of the many roadside flowers...

I also got to see my first aspen grove which was pretty amazing but I didn't get a pic...I know, I know...I believe Redog1 got one of them but it didn't turn out well...We finally made it over the pass to Topaz Lake...

Where we filled up with fuel and water then headed South to catch some forest service roads I had routed...They looked like pretty mellow dirt roads but you know how things on Google Earth aren't always what they appear right...? Well, here's a little teaser until the next update...

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Awesome first report! We are planning a trip to the same area at the end of July. Thanks for the preview and moving those damn trees out of the way!! I am watching...
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Those scratches will buff right out!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Already tried,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Those scratches will buff right out!
They didn't . That's ok, they will remind me to learn to ride better in the sand. There was more damage, just cosmetic but we'll get to that when lionroaar gets back to the ride repaort. We went up today to see where we went wrong in our quest between Hwy 88 and Hwy 4. We were so close to where we needed to be but fallen trees blocked our way on both ends of the road we needed to get to. They're still there and about 18" in diameter. Good fire wood for somebody. It was an adventure afterall, right, right?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
redog1
KLR650-2009

Plan accordingly to do some rerouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion
Awesome first report! We are planning a trip to the same area at the end of July. Thanks for the preview and moving those damn trees out of the way!! I am watching...
Seems the forest service is understaffed and not too worried about clearing the roads. We did find today that there is some logging operations going on it the area so watch for that. Saw 1 new gate put up but it was open, sorry I don't remember which road it was on. Most of all, have a GREAT ride!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1
Seems the forest service is understaffed and not too worried about clearing the roads. We did find today that there is some logging operations going on it the area so watch for that. Saw 1 new gate put up but it was open, sorry I don't remember which road it was on. Most of all, have a GREAT ride!
Right on. Thanks for the update.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #22
redog1
KLR650-2009

Forest Service road 6n58

Quote:
Right on. Thanks for the update.
is where we took off Hwy 4 and came across the logging operations. This is where we were intended to come out at on our ride cutting accross from Hwy 88.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #23
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

Ok, back to it...I've been lagging with the long weekend, another ride yesterday, yada-yada-yada...So where were we? Oh, yeah...We left Topaz Lake heading south on Hwy 395 and then headed east on Topaz Lane. We followed this for a few miles until it dead ends then caught National Forest Develop Road 120 Trail (or so it says in Google maps).
I think the "Trail" part of the name is much more descriptive than the "Road" part... This is a sandy/rocky/chopped up little wash that extends eastward for a few miles. This would be a blast on a 250 two stroke so you can rail up on the sides of the walls to catapult you into the next turn but on fully loaded ADV bikes?? Hmmm. Unfortunately we didn't end up with many pics of this area as we were a bit preoccupied...
I hadn't ridden sand in quite a few years but soon found my groove and began railing along nicely pitching the bike up the sides of the walls and singing along in third gear. I came around a sharp right hander and almost went headfirst into a guy on a two stroke coming the other way. We avoided each other and then I noticed the three or four foot high rock step right behind him. It wasn't as bad as it looked and up and over I went. I found a shady spot around the next bend and decided to wait for Redog1...

So I waited...

And waited...

And waited...Then thinking, shit, this isn't good...I turned back around and headed back down the hill. I found him cruising slowly up the hill looking like he had been ridden hard and put away wet...

Apparently he went down on his right side pretty hard and ended up with his right foot pinned under the bike. He got out from under the bike after a few tries and picked the bike up after a few more tries. Just about the time he got the bike up the two stroker happened by and mentioned to Redog1 that there was a nasty rock step coming up and he didn't know if a bike that big would make it over or not...

To his credit, Redog1 made the rock step look easy on a bike that was pretty heavily loaded...I believe he has a pic of him coming over it that he'll add soon...Here is the rest of the road rash from his dirt nap...

2009 Husky TE610

lionsroaar screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 09:44 PM
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #24
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

We regrouped and rode to the top of the hill, passing a group of 10-15 on quads and side by sides sitting togther at the peak and hanging out. We passed them and dropped down to a mine shaft (the first one I've seen in person) and stopped for a snack and some water...

We kicked back for a few minutes and then heard the group of atv's coming down the hill...It was a mixed group of folks from kids to a couple of old timers and they all smiled and waved as they ambled slowly down the trail. I've never been interested in the side by sides but after seeing them in use I think I'd like to have one to take the wife out to some of the areas that I ride in. It might be nice to have a big ice chest full of beers and steaks on the back with the camping gear...

We followed NF Rd 120 east for a few for miles then headed south then east on NF Rd. 050. This area is apparently a haven for quads and there were a bunch of big toy haulers here and there parked by the river. The area is huge though so even with other people about we barely saw anyone riding...This area is wide open type riding on relatively smooth dirt/sandy roads and I was having a blast...Fourth and fifth gear just flying...

We rode on, enjoying the wide open spaces and perfect weather until Redog1 let me know that we needed to find some bushes so he could violate the wilderness again...

2009 Husky TE610

lionsroaar screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 05:09 PM
Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

I flew on and soon found a nice shady spot under a tree to kick back and wait for Sir Poops a Lot...Apparently someone else had discovered this spot before as there was an old tube lying under the tree...I HATE douchebags that don't pack their trash out. We're losing riding space at an alarming rate and you're just giving the tree huggers ammunition to use against us...Anyway, enough rant...On with it...

A little self portrait while waiting for Redog1...

Speaking of, where the hell is he??? Ah, here he comes now...

We continue on, flying through mile after mile of sandy, sagebrush covered desert until we come upon our next routing marker...NF Rd 160 heading south...This is the first gate like this that we've seen but it looks very familiar after reading so many TAT RR's...Hmm, we must be in Nevada!!

2009 Husky TE610

lionsroaar screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 05:13 PM
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

The graded roads that we've been enjoying soon turn to sage lined two tracks meandering through the high desert. It's a bit rocky in some areas and sandy in most but is absolutely AWESOME!! This is my favorite part of the ride. I'm sailing along, letting my new suspension do the work and feeling like a falcon swooping in for the kill as I chase countless rabbits, ground squirrels etc who dare to cross my path!!

The desert surrounding soon turn back to scrub pine forests and the trail zig-zags in and out of trees with little patches of rock garden thrown in just to make sure you're not sleeping at the wheel...I came through one section just a wee bit fast and discovered a sweeping left turn hidden behind a sneaky pine tree...

The bike went into a semi controlled two wheel skid which took me over the top of the right side trail edge and into the sage brush...The Husky apparently saw a couple of large sage bushes it liked and picked them for safe keeping. I slid sideways to a stop in a HUGE cloud of silt and couldn't see anything for 10-15 seconds...Thank god Redog1 was leaving a gap between us to avoid the dust...I removed the newly added vegetation from my right footpeg and skidplate then sat there catching my breath...

Redog1 soon showed up and asked what I was doing and how I ended up where I was... After slowing my heart rate down a bit we continued on and came upon a nice water crossing...

which we got to ride through a couple of times as right after this we found a locked forest service gate in our path... Can you say reroute? Everyone together now, RE-ROUTE...Very good, now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

2009 Husky TE610

Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

After getting turned back by the locked gate we backtracked and jumped on Hwy 338 south to Atchison Rd. This put us back on track with my planned route and also gave us a nice spot for a quick snack and drink...Who knew that the teriyaki jerky from WalMart was so good and such a bargain? I hate that store but Redog1 sold me on their jerky...

And a glimpse of what life used to be like around here...

We went from Atchison Rd. to NF 198 and 199. This had a couple of good spots and a whole lot of rock garden. I don't mind rocks but it had already been a long day, one of us had been down , and we were ready to check out Bodie...Besides, Bodie state park has a closing time and all the laying down on the job (anyone seen Redog1 lately?) had caused us to run a bit late...

We jumped back on Hwy 338, passed a few guys/gals on Harleys (why is it that everyone else on two wheels waves to each other but the wannabe bad asses on Harleys think they're too good for it? For the most part anyway...) and made our way down to Bridgeport, Ca. First off, the reservoir is much prettier and much bigger in person than what I expected...It didn't hurt that there is still snow on the Sierra's as a backdrop...

We ended up at the Bridgeport Inn which is a quaint building from the turn of the century which has nice restaurant and bar. We looked and smelled a bit funky but enjoyed a great lunch (the French Dip is really good) and the waiter even filled up my CamelBak with ice water after we were done...

We filled up with fuel (at $4.29 a gallon ) and jumped back on Hwy 395 south towards Bodie...There is a sign indicating Bodie is that direction just as you leave Bridgeport buy my faithful navigator (Redog1) missed that and pulled me over a few miles down the road to ask where the hell I was going... We figured out the navigation and signage issues and cruised on to Bodie. You leave Hwy 395 and follow a paved road for a few miles then it turns to a graded dirt road for the last three miles or so...We had a great laugh at all the Harley riders cruising out there that ended up with dirt encrusted bikes. Kudos to them for making the trip but we were picturing a lot of bitching and polishing in the near future for them...

Suddenly we were there...

2009 Husky TE610

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

A little info about Bodie, Ca...Gold was discovered there by prospectors in 1859 and the town was formally recognized in 1876. It was a boomtown of sorts and ended up with nearly 10,000 people living their at the height of its popularity. The gold mine produced almost $34 million worth of gold during its run which was an incredible number in those days.

The town also had 65 saloons and many brothels to service the needs of all those tired and grungy mine workers. Bodie came to be known as one of the roughest and rowdiest frontier towns and killings were a daily occurrence. The town went into decline in the late 1800's as the mine stopped producing and by 1910 the population had shrunk to 698 people. The town continued on until the late 1930's, early 1940's and then effectively became a ghost town.

The family that owned much of Bodie was worried about vandalism and hired caretakers to monitor it. The town became a National Historic Site in 1961 then became Bodie State Historic Park in 1962. The town is now in what is called a state of "arrested decay" and nothing is being done to preserve the buildings, they're aging as nature sees fit. There are many buildings left and it's quite impressive to see...Many of the household fixtures and daily use items were left in place and the owners just walked away...

One of the nicest churches left...

A married mans sanctuary...

The local livery stable...

A carriage house...

Complete with carriage...

And one of the general stores which now serves as a souvenir office and has many small items of daily use on display...

2009 Husky TE610

Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

Quote:
Thanks! I've enjoyed reading others reports and now realize the work involved...It's a labor of love though and I look forward to many more.

2009 Husky TE610

Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #30
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

A few things that caught my eye in Bodie as I love old mechanical stuff...

An old steam engine used to transport ore out of the mine...

A bottom dump ore car...

And the local gas station...

This is the local mechanics shop and there are some great labels and signs inside...Sorry for the pic quality but this was taken through a window and is as good as I could manage. Notice the grill in the lower left corner from a "Miller". I haven't seen one of those in ages...Very cool...I also like the stamped tin ceiling, another touch of class that our modern stucco houses and drop ceiling offices don't have...

At this point we were both exhausted and decided to call it a day. We had originally planned on checking out Mono Lake which is just a few miles away but decided to leave that for another trip. I'm actually heading back there next week with my wife as she's been wanting to go for years and I want her to see it the same way I did...Snow in the mountains, etc...We'll check out Mono Lake while we're there...

2009 Husky TE610