Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #31
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
We left Bodie and decided to head back to Bridgeport to pick up supplies and something cool to drink before heading to our campsite for the night. We stopped by a small market and picked up some fresh iced tea and snacks. Redog1 also picked up a huge can of Coors Light or something similar as I still had a couple of Fat Tires left over that he had been carting around all day for me...

We sat in the shade of one of the local historical buildings (couldn't tell you which one, we were too tired to care and too lazy to walk over to the sign ) and drank iced tea, ate some grapes and plotted our immediate future. I had routed us to Buckeye Hot Springs and the campground nearby for the night. We headed out and were there shortly thereafter...

I was picturing cowboy camping but found the campsite to be well developed and the road inside the campground paved (even though you have to ride several miles of dirt road to get to the pavement). I wasn't really looking forward to camping next to other people but we happened upon the campground host who was a really nice guy. He mentioned that there were rural campsites nearby but you had to have a fire permit, yada-yada-yada. He then mentioned that one of the nicest campsites in the campground (a couple of spots down from him and right next to a rushing creek) wasn't being used and he recommended checking it out. We did and were sold...

There were other campers on both sides but some trees blocked the nearby ones and the folks on the other side were a distance away, good enough for me. I promptly cleared a spot in the creek for some beverages...

and finished setting up camp. We discovered that pine cones burn very well and very hot (if a little smoky) and set about making dinner. I must mention here that I had the Pad Thai noodle dinner from Mountain House and while it tasted ok, it also looked like someone had eaten a peanut butter sandwich and a Cup O' Noodles then barfed in my bag... Don't know if I'll be getting that one again...I really wish I had taken a pic...

The view from my tent...

Another thing I must mention...While sitting around the fire and drinking beer we were recounting some good times from our past...Redog1 and I have been water ski buddies for a long time and have spend many happy hours together on the boats after work, etc...He's my boat guru and has taught me much about the care and ownership of a boat...

Along those lines, I was recounting one of my fondest memories of him...He and I, along with our wives were out on the California Delta one night and had brought along the tube for the wives to ride in...Being men, we decided that we really needed a turn and that we would try our hardest to throw the other out of the tube as violently as possible...I won.

He threw me around in the tube for quite a while and I finally bailed out before getting killed...He hung around back there for a bit and I finally decided the time had come...I crossed back over our wake and happened to look back at just the right moment. The tube stretched into an oval as it hit the wall of water then snapped back to a circular shape with a lot of force...I happened to look back just as he was launched up and out of the tube backwards...All I could see was ass and a lot of air underneath him...I didn't know if I would die from laughing or from his wife beating me...Poor guy pulled a groin muscle and limped around work for weeks...

As funny as that is, that's not the funny bit I wanted you to hear about, that was just the set up...Picture this...We're both in our camp chairs, full of food and beer, relaxed and very tired...I'm recounting this story and when I got to the end Redog1 jumped out of his chair and made a gagging sound then beer started pouring out of his open mouth...A millisecond later beer shot out of both nostrils and I just about fell out of my chair laughing my ass off...

Apparently he started to laugh and knew what was coming so he opened his mouth to let the beer fall out instead of ending up with a nasal beer enema...Didn't work.... Gotta love the guy, he keeps me entertained!

The next morning we awoke to the bikes ready and raring to go...

We packed up and headed back to Bridgeport again for a little breakfast and then headed out on Hwy 395 north to Hwy 108 east. We crossed the pass at 9600 feet and started feeling the heat from the central valley at about 8k feet...We knew it was going to be a 100 degree day at home and stopped in the little town of Strawberry to get ride of jackets, etc...Then on to Sonora for gas then home for my youngest daughter's b-day party...

It was a fantastic trip but a little short (three days) and I can't wait to do it again soon...I don't know if we'll manage another over nighter before our TAT run in September but we'll see...

Thanks for reading and be safe out there...

lionsroaar

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #32
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,715
Sorry, no pic of me coming up the rock step...

[quote=lionsroaar]Ok, back to it...I've been lagging with the long weekend, another ride yesterday, yada-yada-yada...So where were we? Oh, yeah...We left Topaz Lake heading south on Hwy 395 and then headed east on Topaz Lane. We followed this for a few miles until it dead ends then caught National Forest Develop Road 120 Trail (or so it says in Google maps).
I think the "Trail" part of the name is much more descriptive than the "Road" part... This is a sandy/rocky/chopped up little wash that extends eastward for a few miles. This would be a blast on a 250 two stroke so you can rail up on the sides of the walls to catapult you into the next turn but on fully loaded ADV bikes?? Hmmm. Unfortunately we didn't end up with many pics of this area as we were a bit preoccupied...
I hadn't ridden sand in quite a few years but soon found my groove and began railing along nicely pitching the bike up the sides of the walls and singing along in third gear. I came around a sharp right hander and almost went headfirst into a guy on a two stroke coming the other way. We avoided each other and then I noticed the three or four foot high rock step right behind him. It wasn't as bad as it looked and up and over I went. I found a shady spot around the next bend and decided to wait for Redog1...

So I waited...

And waited...

And waited...Then thinking, shit, this isn't good...I turned back around and headed back down the hill. I found him cruising slowly up the hill looking like he had been ridden hard and put away wet... Yeah, I tipped over and I didn't have presence of mind to take any pics, my pride was hurt, first time down in my adult life but I kept . I continued on pissed off about the new battle scars but hey that's part of it, right?

Apparently he went down on his right side pretty hard and ended up with his right foot pinned under the bike. He got out from under the bike after a few tries and picked the bike up after a few more tries. Just about the time he got the bike up the two stroker happened by and mentioned to Redog1 that there was a nasty rock step coming up and he didn't know if a bike that big would make it over or not...

To his credit, Redog1 made the rock step look easy on a bike that was pretty heavily loaded...I believe he has a pic of him coming over it that he'll add soon...Here is the rest of the road rash from his dirt nap...

[/quote
I was satisfied that I finished the trail.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #33
redog1
KLR650-2009

I didn't have to ask how he got were he was,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsroaar
The graded roads that we've been enjoying soon turn to sage lined two tracks meandering through the high desert. It's a bit rocky in some areas and sandy in most but is absolutely AWESOME!! This is my favorite part of the ride. I'm sailing along, letting my new suspension do the work and feeling like a falcon swooping in for the kill as I chase countless rabbits, ground squirrels etc who dare to cross my path!!

The desert surrounding soon turn back to scrub pine forests and the trail zig-zags in and out of trees with little patches of rock garden thrown in just to make sure you're not sleeping at the wheel...I came through one section just a wee bit fast and discovered a sweeping left turn hidden behind a sneaky pine tree...

The bike went into a semi controlled two wheel skid which took me over the top of the right side trail edge and into the sage brush...The Husky apparently saw a couple of large sage bushes it liked and picked them for safe keeping. I slid sideways to a stop in a HUGE cloud of silt and couldn't see anything for 10-15 seconds...Thank god Redog1 was leaving a gap between us to avoid the dust...I removed the newly added vegetation from my right footpeg and skidplate then sat there catching my breath...

Redog1 soon showed up and asked what I was doing and how I ended up where I was... After slowing my heart rate down a bit we continued on and came upon a nice water crossing...

which we got to ride through a couple of times as right after this we found a locked forest service gate in our path... Can you say reroute? Everyone together now, RE-ROUTE...Very good, now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
The skid marks told the whole story, I'm just sorry I missed it
and btw, pardon me for my intestinal issues. When nature calls, it calls.

redog1 screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 06:43 AM
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #34
redog1
KLR650-2009

Thanks for doing this RR lionsroaar,

I won't elaborate on some of the things here other than, we were sitting in front of the courthouse where the cannon is that was cast and forged in Bodie. Bodie was quite the bustling town and has a lot more to it than just the mining. Very interesting place to visit. They quit letting people in at 4pm and close at 6pm. to get in is $7.50 per person.
The tubing story lionsroaar tells is true, I thought he killed me but now I laugh everytime I hear it and that was a 24oz corona spewing from my nose. What a shame.
We had a blast and I look forward to many more rides and camping trips in the future.
Ride on
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #35
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Pretty good RR!

I hope to explore that country some time soon, and I REALLY look forward to your TAT report!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #36
lionsroaar OP
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Pretty good RR!

I hope to explore that country some time soon, and I REALLY look forward to your TAT report!
Hey xymotic,
Thanks and let me know when you're down this way and I'd love to go for a ride...

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,005
good stuff guys, thanks for taking the time to share the photos and write it up.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Great RR! I probably just missed seeing you guys. I was on my SM610 headed north--went by Mono Lake, Bridgeport, Bodi turnoff, and Topaz Lake. I think we bought gas at the same station as you in Bridgeport--$4.29/gal. Highest gas of our trip. Anyway, loved the write up and your sense of humor. Good luck on the TAT.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #39
redog1
KLR650-2009

Got to love the way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid
Great RR! I probably just missed seeing you guys. I was on my SM610 headed north--went by Mono Lake, Bridgeport, Bodi turnoff, and Topaz Lake. I think we bought gas at the same station as you in Bridgeport--$4.29/gal. Highest gas of our trip. Anyway, loved the write up and your sense of humor. Good luck on the TAT.
the locals put it to their own just to take advantage of the travelers, greedy bastards
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #40
Thousand trails
senior noob

Oddometer: 4
Former Stockonian

Hey guys, I used to live in Stockton and my ex now lives in Lodi or actually Lockford. I will be up there the weekend of the 16th for a party and plan to ride my PC 800. I know you guys have duellies but there are some great roads up there that are close by as you know!
Thousand trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #41
redog1
KLR650-2009

Shameless bump...

Just re-read the RR and reminissed over what a great ride it was. I must say, since this ride and the TAT, my riding skills are very much improved although the bike has additional battle scars.. and that broken side cover, with a little JB weld fix is still hanging in there.