User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
nzstac OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Need help with travel IDs and documents at borders

I am leaving for a trip in May 2015 in which I will be traveling to Western/Eastern Europe, Turkey, Morocco and South/Central America with my motorcycle.

I have the following documents:
New Zealand Passport - Maiden Name
New Zealand Drivers License with NO motorcycle endorsement - Maiden Name
USA Drivers License with motorcycle endorsement - Married Name

I am leaning to get my motorcycle title in my maiden name so that it matches to my passport. I cannot get my USA drivers license changed over to my maiden name and I cannot get my New Zealand drivers license updated with the endorsement without traveling to New Zealand.

Has anyone had any experience traveling with documents where the names did not match like this? At borders will I need to show my drivers license and will they be checking for the motorcycle endorsement or not. Any info shared would be appreciated.
nzstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,180
If you are in the USA, go to an AAA office and get an international drivers license put either name on it, not sure of the cost now, they were at one time $8.oo US.
Get a few of them and stash them in different places for when you lose them or have them confiscated for what ever reason and don't want to wait till the next day to have them returned after paying your (fine)...

This is just my thoughts on the matter, YMMV...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
nzstac OP
n00b

Thanks for the info on the International Drivers Permit. I had looked into this and can only get in the US under the name which matches my license.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
runehogh
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Well, it's not only enough to have an international drivers license. How about visa, carnet etc.

can you share what your itinerary looks like, what order of countries etc. And where the bike is from?

As a starting point, go visit
www.wikioverlander.org
runehogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Hum.......usally an embassy or consulate office, can do all passport actives, including issueing new ones, when yours is lost or stolen. ....have you checked with nz embassy on the name issue ?

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
If you are in the USA, go to an AAA office and get an international drivers license put either name on it, not sure of the cost now, they were at one time $8.oo US.
My experience in Central/South America, on several occasions, was that the policeman/border official had no idea what an international drivers license was, and wanted to see my state issued USA license. I carried the AAA Intl DL, but it really didn't do me any good. I would get one again, just because they are cheap and why not. AAA issues a separate license for the Americas, and one for the rest of the world, if that matters to you.

The point being, that the country maybe listed as accepting the Intl. Lic., but the low level people you will be dealing with may not know about it. Others experience may be different.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 787
I have never been asked for driving licence at borders so that should not be a problem and rarely on the road, if stopped and asked just hand over NZ documents as the names tally and if challenged about motorcycle licence show the US one and start explaining. I can count the number of times I have shown mine on the fingers of one hand in 70 countries ridden through.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
May I ask why you wouldn't just travel with your NZ documents? Considering they match with respect to names, it seems to me that would raise less questions than the lack of a motorcycle endorsement.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
nzstac OP
n00b

Thanks all for the info. I think I am going to just travel with my NZ documents and if needed will show my US drivers license for the motorcycle endorsement and explain.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,998
Get an IDP for Europe - especially for Southern Europe and C&EE. Well worth having as cops will look for one if you don't have an EU license.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote