Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #166
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
I just wrote my first RR on ADV this summer but had written others on the Triumph forum over the last few years. This one on ADV was my first in real time. I found that the first few days were a chore to write and finding the time to upload pics was a bit of a hassle. As I went along it got easier and I started looking forward to my wifi stops to post my thoughts for the day. I basically write the reports for myself and friends that want to follow along, this past one I was writing so my kids could see where I was daily. I'm not sure you should really put all that much effort into your writing. Some days will flow better than others and there's not much you can do to change that. If you have to work at it then it's probably not going to be all that great anyhow. My deepest thoughts were usually typed into notepad just before falling asleep at night and I'd post that up when I reached wifi the next day. I love seeing the people that you've met along the way and the unusual stuff that others haven't posted before. Just speak from the heart and try to give a feel of your own experience.
I'm glad this topic came up and there's a lot of useful info here. There's some damn fine talent shown in the RR's here. I pass links along all the time to riding and non-riding friends all the time.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #167
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Help me figure this out

Alright I admit it.....I'm havin' a hair-fire moment here. Perhaps somebody can give me specific guidance about how to build a RR in Microsoft Word 2010, then transfer it onto the thread page for posting here. I can build the document (in Word), but how do I get it here? I thought about using the 'copy' key then 'paste' it into the AdvRider, but I'm having no luck getting the 'copy' key to work (it always stays translucent, never comes dark). Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Anyone "been there" before ?
Thanx
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #168
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Alright I admit it.....I'm havin' a hair-fire moment here. Perhaps somebody can give me specific guidance about how to build a RR in Microsoft Word 2010, then transfer it onto the thread page for posting here. I can build the document (in Word), but how do I get it here? I thought about using the 'copy' key then 'paste' it into the AdvRider, but I'm having no luck getting the 'copy' key to work (it always stays translucent, never comes dark). Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Anyone "been there" before ?
Thanx
The "copy" key?

The best way I can describe it is this... in the body of your document, hit CTRL-A (this is Select All). Then hit CTRL-C (this is Copy). Now come over here to ADVRider, click into the text area where you type, and hit CTRL-V (paste).

Try that.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #169
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Yep ! That works ! Thanx !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #170
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
saving ride reports as .pdf files

The Chrome browser has native support for converting a web page to a .pdf file.
Here is an extension for FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-as-pdf/?src=search to do the same thing.
There are also free print-to-pdf programs also available (if you don't have Adobe Acrobat). Here is one: http://download.cnet.com/PDF-Printer/3000-2088_4-10536746.html
Those are good ways to save web pages.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I don't recommend anybody try to write their ride reports here on the site. Over in another thread, a guy's regular posts keep getting eaten because his browser keeps crashing. I would suggest as others have, and write them in Word or something, then copy/paste here before posting.

Another idea to save reports... do what chrome bandit said about getting 100 posts on the page but then go to File > Save As and save the page. The web browser, whichever one you use, will save all the images, HTML, everything from a given web page, so that you can view it offline. You'll have to step through each "page" of the report on the website (with 100 posts per) and do File > Save As, but that way it will render back exactly as it does now, online.

Rob
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 09:56 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #171
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,051
Starting a RR and not finishing up.

Sorry, but I need to say this, I hope it hasn't been covered before. Firstly, I have never written a RR in my life and I give kudos to those who have. One thing that really disappoints me are people who start a report and them just drop it for no particular reason. There are three reports this year that I have followed that were excellent and then just suddenly stopped.

Now some will probably say that maybe something came up in the rider's life that prevented them from finishing the report. If that is the case, fine, I understand, but in the three case I mentioned, I have noticed that the writer is still around and posting elsewhere or has finally apologetically posted a statement saying that they have been pretty busy and will finish the report sometime in the future. Isn't there some ethical obligation to your readers to finish a report once you start one? Just sayin................
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #172
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Well, in my opinion, no. As harsh as it sounds, be thankful to get anything at all.

While there can be various reasons for not finishing a report, I think the only thing you can influence is the feedback. Interact, ask questions about the ride or simply say 'great' or 'thanks'. This way not only will the writer stay motivated, but also more people will be able to see the thread and will thus (hopefully) post. When the RR gets abandoned, of course you can bump the thread and ask (or beg, it's up to you) for the report to be finished.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #173
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Reader input really helps to keep the motivation up. It is very time consuming to write a report for a trip. It has taken me several months to find the time to write the text for my latest report. If you make positive comments, it really keeps the writer interested in finishing.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #174
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Reader input really helps to keep the motivation up. It is very time consuming to write a report for a trip. It has taken me several months to find the time to write the text for my latest report. If you make positive comments, it really keeps the writer interested in finishing.
Positive comments are huge, even on small reports. My one "live" report so far was done in one post, but got several not-so-friendly responses, and it kinda soured me on doing anymore. I have another RR in progress (haven't posted anything yet) that I probably won't finish due to lack of time and photos.

Rob
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #175
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Well, in my opinion, no. As harsh as it sounds, be thankful to get anything at all.

While there can be various reasons for not finishing a report, I think the only thing you can influence is the feedback. Interact, ask questions about the ride or simply say 'great' or 'thanks'. This way not only will the writer stay motivated, but also more people will be able to see the thread and will thus (hopefully) post. When the RR gets abandoned, of course you can bump the thread and ask (or beg, it's up to you) for the report to be finished.
Thanks for your input. IMHO, no one is doing me a favor by writing a report. On the contrary, readers are doing a service for the writer. In the best case scenario, both parties get satisfaction. In the final analysis, people do almost everything for their own self aggrandizement and writing RR reports certainly qualifies as one of them. If they finish the report and are proud of it, they will feel good about it. If they do a lousy job, or don't complete the task, most people will feel that they failed.

I don't think RR writers are any different than novelists, short story writers, poets, or song writers. There is a lot of satisfaction in completing those endeavors, but acknowledgement in some form by the audience is the goal of publishing. Getting back to the original premise, how would you feel if you bought a promising novel and found that the story ended after the fifth chapter with absolutely no ending? I think most readers would feel cheated.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #176
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
There are a whole lot of threads that are finished already, you could just read those. Just skip to the end and make sure it has an end.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #177
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Thanks for your input. IMHO, no one is doing me a favor by writing a report. On the contrary, readers are doing a service for the writer. In the best case scenario, both parties get satisfaction. In the final analysis, people do almost everything for their own self aggrandizement and writing RR reports certainly qualifies as one of them. If they finish the report and are proud of it, they will feel good about it. If they do a lousy job, or don't complete the task, most people will feel that they failed.

I don't think RR writers are any different than novelists, short story writers, poets, or song writers. There is a lot of satisfaction in completing those endeavors, but acknowledgement in some form by the audience is the goal of publishing. Getting back to the original premise, how would you feel if you bought a promising novel and found that the story ended after the fifth chapter with absolutely no ending? I think most readers would feel cheated.
You don't pay for a ride report, but I agree, it is courteous, at least, to finish a report in some fashion, no matter how brief.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #178
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Sorry, but I need to say this, I hope it hasn't been covered before. Firstly, I have never written a RR in my life ..........
In my personal opinion, you need to write a few RRs before you start trying to impose your personal rules on those who actually take the time to write RRs.

I usually try to write my RRs while I am on the road. I usually spend 1-2 hours per day writing and uploading pictures to the report. I do not write the reports for you. I could care less if you read them or not. I have no obligation to you what so ever. I would guess that most people who stop in the middle of a report have a very valid reason for doing so.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #179
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,344
Port Solitaire Seeks a Storm

Name of bike - Jo Jo

Fly and ride a KLR 650 from Richmond Virgina to New Mexico - Home. No interstate, back roads and dirt. Just received my motorcycle license. I leave on the 17th, it may be cold. I will be solo. I have no agenda.

This thread is gold. I will deliver.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #180
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Ideally, I'd prefer to also write them while on the trip itself. Even if you don't finish it, or upload each "chapter" as you complete it... but it saves a lot of "work" when you get home, gives you something to do in the evenings, and the events of the trip are much fresher in your mind.

Rob