Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #211
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,606
My ride report was focused on the ADV audience. However I drafted the RR for my personal satisfaction. I tried to make my report the way I like to read reports. If you want to write a report for the ADV inmates, then use logic on what is popular and well received. But me thinks politics is a delicate subject. As Micheal Jordan responded when asked if he was a democrat or a republican. His response they both buy my tennis shoes. So you may exclude 50% of your readers by expressing political opinions.

This posting made it worth while.

Quote:
Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 7,923

I'm not sure why you don't consider yourself an adventure rider. Whatever that is.

I skip over so many perfect pictures of far off lands, eloquent word smithing worthy of the name prose, and examples of planning and organization to move armies, in order to find nuggets like this.

Thank you for taking me on your journey of the heart and a man's soul.

More please.

Don't give in so easily.

Quote:
GSF1200S
Gnarly Adventurer
Oddometer: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
GSF1200S,

You are always welcome to post any type of motorcycle ride report you want. Keep in mind this thread was started to explore and discuss what works to make reports better. It is my studied opinion that most of the time wordy, blog-like reports don't go over very well. Especially when the subject matter departs motorcycling and delves into politics, opinions, philisophy, ideology... However; there are some great writers here that can fill pages of captivating tales. I've been turned off by many reports with to much long-winded deep thoughts or opinions opposed to my own. While I would just tune out and ignore the report, many internet users aren't so kind. Be prepared for the flames.

I see. In that case, I guess ill keep my opinions and ideas to myself. Maybe ill maintain a blog separately and stick only to motorcycles, humor, pictures, and the like. I appreciate everyones advice
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #212
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 97
Thank you

Dave6253, thanks for this post. And thanks to everyone else that has added their input and ideas. I am finding everyone's input inspiring.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #213
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,025
I took a short writing class. Not enough to make me a "writer", but it gave me some information.

Teacher kept saying "Add some emotion". "Be descriptive" "shorten the sentence" "Is that sentence necessary" Add and subtract, sort of contradictory, but that is what it takes.

I think opinion is good in a report ""In small doses"". I skip hyperbole and long disertations on preparation, but really like reading how people are feeling when they view great scenery or have a spontaneous moment.

Good reports have character, whether with brevity or verbosity.

It takes practice. Write what you would like to read. Take pics of stuff that catches your own eye. The report should be an extension of yourself.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #214
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Ride Report extras

I always like to hear the writers opinion about any gear or products they developed an opinion about during the ride. I like to hear both the positive and the negative. I say this because I think one's quest for the right tools for any trip is never ending. I find myself constantly evaluating new 'stuff' to see what works better for me.

Something else I see from time to time that I would like to see more of is how others choose a specific route and why. Did you use GPS routes? If so, how did you build your routes? There are many ways to do this and everyone's process varies.

One thing this thread has really helped me with, though, is the discussion about photography tips and links to photography sites. This is something that I would like to become better at.

Please, everyone, keep the tips coming.

2012 G-Strom
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #215
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,510
For me, some negativity is an integral part of a good report. IMHO, too many reports are like a commercial travel log where everything is fine and beautiful. There are a few Central America-South American reports currently in progress that depict some of the poverty as well as the beauty of those areas. They also, in passing, give us at least a few hints about the civil wars and genocides that still mark the faces of many of the inhabitants.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #216
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
For me, some negativity is an integral part of a good report. IMHO, too many reports are like a commercial travel log where everything is fine and beautiful.
I agree, and it's part of the reason why I usually skip the writing and just look at photos.

Too many ride reports - and travel writing in general - are written by people wearing their rose-colored glasses as they go on their big trip. They are unwilling to admit that place A is a tourist trap, place B is not nearly as remote as they make it out to be, place C is actually pretty Blah and full of trash and looks 100x better in photos, and place D is full of touts and sketchy people. In every story, we read about locals living like locals in poor wooden shacks, but we rarely read that those same people watch USA television, follow the latest Britney Spears songs, and know the latest celebrity gossip news better than you do.

On top of all that, we are left with the impression that people in country X are all subsistence farmers with a hard life and no future. But reality is often different. You can go to many African countries to find quite a lot of people living the mirror image of your life, with the exception that they're Black. :) You will find people that watch the same TV shows, have similar jobs, play Xbox, eat at McDonald's, have very similar houses, and ride their Trek bicycles for fun on the weekends. The differences are increasingly smaller and smaller as the world develops.

If it's truly a remote area with an isolated people, I want to read about it. But I also want to read about the BS double-pricing at a hotel because the rider is an outsider, I want to read about the hard up-sell someone got because they saw he were a foreigner, and I want to read about all the BS government fees and permits to enter a park/region. I was pretty surprised that entry to Victoria Falls is $30 during the day and $50 during the night, a shitty park in Zimbabwe is $25ish entry, that Nepal charges you $100+ per day government "permit" to visit whole regions of the country, and that Bhutan charges you $250-$300/day to be in the country even though they are one of the poorest countries in the world. Things like that...

When we read most of these reports, we only get a small part of the big picture. Often, exaggerated, and sometimes outright false.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #217
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Wow, you have a negative attitude much?

Geez, lighten up a little will ya! If you read the RR or just look at the pics it really doesn't matter. The fact is people take their time to do them for their enjoyment and we who choose to view them get our own different levels of enjoyment. I have favorite styles and even writers but again those are "My tastes." Me, I'm too damn lazy to write a RR so far, to much work but I do appreciate people that do them.

I'm sure now that I've voiced my opinion there will be those who disagree and that's fine.

Signed, RR reader. . . . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #218
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
For me, some negativity is an integral part of a good report.

I call it the "truth", a story worth telling is true...good/bad and everything between. The truth offends some people and draws in others.

I'm human and at times I behave poorly, I don't hide it, I post it and hope that I grow from it, if somebody else can learn from my mistakes all the better.

Ride report tip...come up with a good title. Try to be a little more creative than using your own screen name and destination as a title, "larryboy rides Death Valley with his old lady.", won't interest anybody. Every song has a hook, make the title your "hook".
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #219
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
+1

Amen. . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #220
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ride report tip...come up with a good title. Try to be a little more creative than using your own screen name and destination as a title, "larryboy rides Death Valley with his old lady.", won't interest anybody. Every song has a hook, make the title your "hook".
I'd read it.

Keep the tips coming.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 05:44 PM
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #221
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
So happy to have run into this thread! Thought if I couldn't find anything like this in the search engine I was going to start a thread just like this, so thank you
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #222
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
So happy to have run into this thread! Thought if I couldn't find anything like this in the search engine I was going to start a thread just like this, so thank you
One thing people should do is read the thread about rules and suggestions at the beginning of the RR section. It gives some pretty good advice. Three things I have noticed as a reader are:

1. Stay away form controversy unless you purposefully want to incite a discussion. One fellow on a long foreign RR mentioned doing an oil change and improperly disposing of the waste oil. Needless to say, his otherwise excellent report turned into a discussion of on the road ethics.

2. Don't let the report turn into a blog where there is more input from the audience than from you. There are some out there that seem to me to be not much more than friends, both new and old, engaging in conversation. The reports include long time periods spent not on the road. Sort of a never ending ride report with really nothing to report except trite conversation about one's life.

3. The ADV rules say you can't ask for money, but apparently it is not enforced. It seems that a good many riders are supplementing or paying for their ride this way. Readers feel compelled to post saying that they made a donation and reporters feel compelled to say thank you. IMO, that doesn't make for a good report.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #223
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Quote:
One thing people should do is read the thread about rules and suggestions at the beginning of the RR section. It gives some pretty good advice. Three things I have noticed as a reader are:

1. Stay away form controversy unless you purposefully want to incite a discussion. One fellow on a long foreign RR mentioned doing an oil change and improperly disposing of the waste oil. Needless to say, his otherwise excellent report turned into a discussion of on the road ethics.

2. Don't let the report turn into a blog where there is more input from the audience than from you. There are some out there that seem to me to be not much more than friends, both new and old, engaging in conversation. The reports include long time periods spent not on the road. Sort of a never ending ride report with really nothing to report except trite conversation about one's life.

3. The ADV rules say you can't ask for money, but apparently it is not enforced. It seems that a good many riders are supplementing or paying for their ride this way. Readers feel compelled to post saying that they made a donation and reporters feel compelled to say thank you. IMO, that doesn't make for a good report.
+1

I agree with all three. I wished there some way to create a type of draft post so that one could begin writing there ride report, and finish it, being making it visible to everyone else. I realize that this would work best for short ride reports and would not work for long reports that are being posted from the road. But in those cases, it would allow a report of each day to be completed without other conversation in between. I don't mind a little conversation and I expect to see some questions. However, I have read some ride reports were there is so much 'other' conversation that I lost interest in looking for the next segment. I guess I should get in the habit of search for posts by inmate....

2012 G-Strom
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #224
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_McBride View Post
+1

I agree with all three. I wished there some way to create a type of draft post so that one could begin writing there ride report, and finish it, being making it visible to everyone else. I realize that this would work best for short ride reports and would not work for long reports that are being posted from the road. But in those cases, it would allow a report of each day to be completed without other conversation in between. I don't mind a little conversation and I expect to see some questions. However, I have read some ride reports were there is so much 'other' conversation that I lost interest in looking for the next segment. I guess I should get in the habit of search for posts by inmate....
If you use firefox, check out the Scrapbook extension. It allows you to make copies of webpages stored to your hard drive, and even make copies of the links on each page you copy. I am going to try this out in the "need to try something thread" (somewhere on this forums, cant remember real title) and see if I can work out a system.

Another idea I might talk to some moderators about is creating two threads and somehow binding them together in terms of forum placement. Think about it:

"Cooking the furnace; Baja on a KTM"
"Cooking the furnace; Baja on a KTM Comment thread!"

Everyones comments go in one thread, and whenever it receives a reply and is thus bumped to the top of the subforum, the main RR which details the trip is bumped with it (but "locked" to everyone but the OP).

This would allow everyone to follow along in real time, yet it would also preserve one thread as the go-to place to read about the trip without sifting through responses. The inmate reporting could simply monitor the Comment thread and respond in that thread.

Whats anyone think? I might try it even if the moderators cant help me. Moderators might want to consider something like this specifically for this forum- most forums work fine as they are, but considering the stark difference between the reporters message and the large volume of smaller addon responders, it makes sense to me...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #225
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
If you use firefox, check out the Scrapbook extension. It allows you to make copies of webpages stored to your hard drive, and even make copies of the links on each page you copy. I am going to try this out in the "need to try something thread" (somewhere on this forums, cant remember real title) and see if I can work out a system.

Another idea I might talk to some moderators about is creating two threads and somehow binding them together in terms of forum placement. Think about it:

"Cooking the furnace; Baja on a KTM"
"Cooking the furnace; Baja on a KTM Comment thread!"

Everyones comments go in one thread, and whenever it receives a reply and is thus bumped to the top of the subforum, the main RR which details the trip is bumped with it (but "locked" to everyone but the OP).

This would allow everyone to follow along in real time, yet it would also preserve one thread as the go-to place to read about the trip without sifting through responses. The inmate reporting could simply monitor the Comment thread and respond in that thread.

Whats anyone think? I might try it even if the moderators cant help me. Moderators might want to consider something like this specifically for this forum- most forums work fine as they are, but considering the stark difference between the reporters message and the large volume of smaller addon responders, it makes sense to me...
Another idea:

Go about writing a ride report on the road as usual. As some people do, create an index that links to the next day of the ride report to aid inmates who want to go straight to the meat of the report instead of reading the comments left by other inmates. At the conclusion of the ride report, the inmate reporting copies the HTML of all his ride day posts and consolidates them into a thread called whatever the existing report is called with "No comments version" appended to the end of the name. The reporting inmate then edits his first post writing at the top (below maybe the introduction to still gain interest) "If you would like to read the report from start to finish without any (much appreciated but nonetheless time-consuming) comments, please go here." This would make it less confusing during the ride report, but upon conclusion a version without comments would be available for those who prefer to read that way. Anytime the original thread is responded to, a new inmate reading for the first time would immediately be aware of the version without comments and could make the choice of which format he prefers.

A favorite report of mine on advrider is Snowrider's trip to Alaska on his DR650. I really enjoy reading it, but the comments in the middle consume time (even just sifting through them to find Snowrider's ride days). This seems a perfect case for doing it with a sister report composed only of ride report days.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote