Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #91
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker
This is a great thread!

I've been reluctant to post any ride reports, especially prior to the split between the big trips and the day trips forums. Most of the riding I do is local and just for a fun few hours. Even though I really love my little rides, my thinking has been along the lines of "who in their right mind would want to read about a day ride in NJ?"

This site is great for trip info/inspiration and I'm leaving Saturday for a week-long trip through the Northeast using some of the info I've gotten from other inmates. It's still pretty "local" on some accounts but it's a huge deal to me - it's going to be my first solo multi-day trip in about 20 years. If it weren't for all of the reports I've read on this site, great or otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it.

For me at least, thinking about how to share my experiences will add a lot to the trip and give me something to think about to bring the experience more into-the-moment and keep the devils at bay.

Thanks everyone!
While NJ is your backyard it is new and different to those who have never been there. I hope you decide to share your first solo multi-day trip in about 20 years.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #92
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
A grasp of the spirit is more compelling than a command of the language.

TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #93
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Each rider brings her or her own style to the report

Hi,

For what it's worth, I made up my mind a year before departure what kind of report I would write. My route was not well documented. In fact it was not confirmed as possible, even by experienced riders.

It drove me nuts trying to get clear, specific, useful information about routes, distances, towns, ferries and other important facts. I trawled every blog I could find, becoming embittered and outraged at the self-indulgence of the blog concept, and eventually left without knowing whether I would be able to complete the trip.

Personal anecdotes, people that riders meet, misadventures ... can be amusing if you are in the mood for it, but I think they mean a lot more to the rider than anybody reading about it.

So, I was determined to keep my report well-organised, easily searchable, and with facts separate from personal reflection. I decide a FaceBook "fan page" was the best solution (but far from perfect). I was able to sort photos into segments corresponding to maps, as well as providing separate notes about stuff that would otherwise be hard to discover.

One think that really sucks about FB is that it tries to order your photo albums according to the date that you loaded them. Very, very annoying. When I added the last album, after my return, it was positioned first. So then I had to upload and delete a photo in every other album to get the ordering right again.

Short of making a dedicated web site, what other approaches are available for user-friendly report that will endure?

Oh yeh .. it's here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000988460461#!/pages/Borneo-Adventure-Ride/126919557338575?ref=sgm

Colin aka spacekadet
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #94
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
We probably all have our favorite style of ride report, as well as preferences as to the locale(s) covered. Yet there are some riders whose RR's stand out and draw readers regardless what our preferences have been in the past. Inmate metaljockey is one of those. His narration, his photos... the method in which he takes the reader along on his travels... it's captivating. And yet... ZOA, with her imperfect English, manages to convey so much with a few words and a multitude of small photos.

In other words, there is a wide spectrum of methods, styles, abilities that still manage to create very readable, enjoyable ride reports. If I had to make a guess, it is the report from someone who is revealing his/her humanness - something we readers can connect with - that gives them their quality.

Some reports I've read have good photos of places the rider saw in the ride, but they are posted too small to make out the details, and sometimes it can be the details that make the difference between a good photo and a great photo. In the early days of my own digital photography, when an 8MB card was considered adequate, and a 32MB card was huge, I would often take photos at low resolution in order to cram as many onto the cards I had with me as possible. Now I do everything I can to fill a 16GB card before my battery runs down, using the highest resolution available. Back in the day, I carried extra cards and plenty of spare batteries. Today I will carry an extra camera so as not to miss any once-in-a-lifetime shots due to a camera not working. A two-day trip will usually provide another 300 to 400 photos to go through when I get home, from which I may find 30 or 40 worth keeping.

It has been said that a picture is worth 1000 words. If that is true, a person who has trouble writing, or does not feel sufficiently literate to author lines of prose, can use photos to tell the tale, connecting them in logical sequence and merely providing suitable captions for the images.

The most important thing is to just do it. No matter how poorly a ride report might appear to its author, someone, somewhere will read it... and wish they could do one as well.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #95
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Shootin' on the Move

Do you want photos to document the ride? Then you may want to consider shooting while riding. I've been doing this since 2007 and have learned a few tricks along the way. I'll share my method, and welcome anyone else to add to it.

I'm sure many of you are thinking this is stupid and dangerous. I agree, it can be. (The majority of people probably think riding a motorcycle is stupid and dangerous anyway.) If you think this may lead to disaster then I wouldn't encourage you to attempt it.

The most important consideration is shooting pictures only when it can be done so safely. No picture is worth dying for. Your camera is definitely not worth a crash, so make the commitment to just drop the camera anytime your safety is in jeopardy. (There's a way to save the camera.)

Instead of mounting the camera at a fixed point, I prefer to shoot with one hand. Because of the throttle and brake, I use the left hand for shooting. This requires practice in manipulating the camera with one hand. With a little practice you can retrieve the camera from storage, turn it on, point-n-shoot, turn off the power, and stow it away. It is important to do this without taking your eyes AND ATTENTION off the road. Practice while seated on the bike and with your riding gloves on. It helps to have a camera with a power button and shutter release that is glove-friendly.

You must be comfortable riding with only your right hand. Be sure you can brake hard, steer confidently, and possibly even make clutchless gear changes all with one hand. When riding off-road where conditions require the use of both hands you probably won't have as many opportunities for shooting while riding. With the camera quickly assessible I'll just make a quick stop to get the shots I want.

Don't compose your shots by looking at the screen. Just point in the general direction and squeeze the shutter release. Also don't screw around with the zoom. All these things will rob more of your attention. You can digitally zoom and adjust the composition later with crop and rotate tools that any basic photo editor can do.

I only use a point-n-shoot camera while riding, although some inmates have had success using a DSLR. I also carry a DSLR, but only for stationary shooting.

I am constantly coming up with ideas for new angles to shoot from.

This photo is not all that great, but the shadow kind of demonstrates how low I lean down to get the front wheel shots.

Camera saver. I have dropped the camera at least 4 times while riding. Especially with gloves on it can easily just slip out of your grip. My $22 Gearkeeper saved it each time.

Gearkeeper makes a CB Mic Keeper that truckers use. I've found them at the big truck stops like Flying J Travel Centers on the shelf with all the CB Radio accessories. Trust me. The standard size is more than powerful enough to retract the weight of any point-n-shoot. You don't need the heavy duty size. The steel cable extends smoothly and far enough to hold the camera in just about any position within arms reach.

This photo shows my camera with the Gearkeeper. Also, see the mode dial on top of the camera. I've found the dial is easy to bump into the wrong position while manipulating the camera with one hand, so I use a small piece of duct tape to hold it in the correct position. I attach the large snap-hooked end of the Gearkeeper to the tankbag and stow the camera in a tankbag pocket. When riding without a tankbag I attach the Gearkeeper to my jacket and stuff the camera in a jacket pocket. Both places work well. The Gearkeeper has a small clip that I attach to the standard camera lanyard. This clip allows you to quickly detach the camera for off the bike shots. Although there are many great point-n-shoot cameras on the market now, I chose the Panasonic Lumix because of that manual power switch that is easier to use with gloves on than many of the cameras with depressed buttons.

My wife captured the Gearkeeper in action at arms length.

Another consideration; It may seem oxy-moronic at 80mph, but just as with shooting when stopped attempt to hold the camera steady and squeeze (not jerk) the shutter release button. With a decent amount of light only the close landscape should be blurred, which gives the nice sense of speed.

Keep a safe following distance from other traffic.

Getting good moving shots? Then share them in a report or in pics, pics, pics...

Any other moving shooters have anything to add???

dave6253 screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 04:20 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #96
littlebull
tiny mighty mo

Oddometer: 320
Shootin' on the move

Dave,

I love this idea. I'll be sure to try this on my next ride. Thanks for sharing, and taking the time to get us the details on the lanyard.

littlebull
littlebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #97
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,390
Like you say, the shooting on the fly thing is great and for sure a lot of people have been doing it for years. Here are a couple of more things that may be helpful.

I like to use a waterproof camera so I can keep it "exposed" for easy access. When doing dirt rides, the waterproof model is great as there is protection from both dust and water.

For dirt rides I use the gearkeeper and keep the camera in a partially open pocket on my vest. The quick access makes for getting some nice crash or post-crash shots as the camera is so readily available.

When not using the vest, like on street rides, I use a belt case with a magentic flap. This allows you to draw, arm, and fire the camera with one hand. Again, the waterproof camera makes it no big deal to carry the camera "exposed" to the elements on the belt. If there is no other spot to connect to, a key ring can be connected to the jacket somehow for a place to snap on to.

Hope this adds to the already great information posted here and helps out some others.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #98
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Cannonshot, I think it was from you that I learned about the Gearkeeper lanyard on the euipment forum several years ago. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #99
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Another approach to the wide variety of ride reporting:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=191
So that's how you do it. Interesting approach. The older I get the more I appreciate history.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #100
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
I use a neck lanyard with a snap-together keychain. This keeps the camera at about waist level & handy to drop in a tankbag pocket. For off the bike shots I just disconnect the keychain. The whole rig fits handily into my camera case.

Great tip on taping the mode knob on the camera to keep it from moving. I had one that would always turn when I put it into the tank bag. Lost a bunch of pictures that way as it would turn to high ISO which washed them all out. Like a dummy, I never thought of taping the knob, I just bought a new camera.....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #101
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Any other moving shooters have anything to add???

I've messed with it a little bit and I've found that 5 MPH looks almost the same as 100 MPH. I don't generally do pictures on the move because I'll crash.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #102
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Nice Thread.

I for one, agree with JayElDee, words are tools, and I hate to see someone using the wrong tool.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #103
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Cannonshot, I think it was from you that I learned about the Gearkeeper lanyard on the euipment forum several years ago. Thanks!
Yeah, I've shared that over the years. I'm sure there are a lot of people that worked that out or did something similar on their own. People are pretty handy and creative.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #104
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
So that's how you do it. Interesting approach. The older I get the more I appreciate history.
The history part is appealing to me because too many rides, especially the popular ones, sometimes become a "race" of sorts to cover the route in a certain period of available time.

Like many others, if I am going somehwere, I like to do more than just enjoy the roads and trails. I can do that without taking a long trip. It is much richer to take in some of the local sights and history. I especially appreciate visiting places knowing something about what happened there in the past. It is nice to be able to share a little of that to entertain the next rider (or save someone the trouble of repeating the research).

The difficult part is doing decent research ahead of time. As difficult as that is trying to cook down long stories to a couple of sentences that tell enough in a ride report.

Of course, not everyone is interested in or entertained by a report style that incorporates history and side trips.

One of the most important points to remember in this thread is that there is no description of an "ideal" or "preferred" report style.

Reader's interests vary and they read what they are interested in. Pointers about photo size and too much text are very useful just as are some other basic tenets of producing media. Just as there are a wide variety of book and movie subjects and styles (thankfully), so it is for ride reports as well.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #105
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
I just found this thread as a result of the link on Dave6253's latest RR. I've been wondering if there was a thread like this. I just read the whole thing. Lots of great info

I have a few thoughts from the standpoint of a RR reader. I do read a lot of Ride reports.
First, I have enjoyed many different and diverse RR's. I like the epic trips by Metaljockey, Colebatch, Rtwdoug, etc and I also like shorter and far from Epic trips. IMO, the biggest thing that good ride reports have in common is that the author put some effort into them.

As much as I like reading about epic trips to exotic locations, I also enjoy reading about trips that I could possibly do some day. One of the hardest thing to capture in a ride report is showing the pure joy, and/or thrill of riding. When someone can do that He/she has my attention. Idave is a good example of this.

My favorite RR so far is Kaneman's epic trip back on 2007. There were many thing I found interesting about his trip but the one thing that really stood out was the interaction between Josh and many of the inmates who were reading his RR. His trip would have been completely different if no one got involved with him and his journey.

I think that interaction between the author and the readers can add a lot to a report. Yes, some reports have so many responses that it overwhelms the report but most reports probably could use more interaction.

For example Dave6253 acknowledges those who respond in his report. Just as the author's appreciate feedback, so do the readers who take the time to write a meaningful reply. I think that dialogue between author and reader makes it more personal and makes it more likely that the reader will come back for more.

I do have one pet peeve: Posting multiple pics with no break in between. It pretty much ruins the report IMO.

Enough rambling for now. Great thread

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote